WE NEED YOUR HELP! Please donate to keep ReaderRant online to serve political discussion and its members. (Blue Ridge Photography pays the bills for RR).
Current Topics
Round Table for Spring 2024
by jgw - 06/02/24 05:30 PM
2024 Election Forum
by perotista - 06/02/24 01:50 AM
A question
by jgw - 05/31/24 07:06 PM
No rubbers for Trump
by pdx rick - 05/31/24 04:30 PM
Marching in favor of Palestinians
by jgw - 05/26/24 06:45 PM
Yeah, Trump admits he is a pure racist
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:28 PM
Trump's base having second thoughts
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:25 PM
Watching the Supreme Court
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:07 PM
Trump: "Anti-American authoritarian wannabe
by Doug Thompson - 05/05/24 03:27 PM
Fixing/Engineer the Weather
by jgw - 05/03/24 10:52 PM
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 127 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Agnostic Politico, Jems, robertjohn, BlackCat13th, ruggedman
6,305 Registered Users
Popular Topics(Views)
10,136,442 my own book page
5,021,849 We shall overcome
4,202,335 Campaign 2016
3,797,732 Trump's Trumpet
3,019,804 3 word story game
Top Posters
pdx rick 47,292
Scoutgal 27,583
Phil Hoskins 21,134
Greger 19,831
Towanda 19,391
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
jgw 5
Kaine 1
Forum Statistics
Forums59
Topics17,091
Posts313,849
Members6,305
Most Online294
Dec 6th, 2017
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 47 of 86 1 2 45 46 47 48 49 85 86
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
WHAT A SURPRISE!!! A Republican doing in 1932 what ALL Republicans in Congress are now doing en masse today!
Now, who's comparing the 2020s to the 1930s?

Did he succeed? And are ALL Republicans in Congress succeeding in what he was trying to do?

Show me some examples...

Good coffee, good weed, and time on my hands...
CHB-OG
OP Offline
CHB-OG
Originally Posted by perotista
Like in all things, conspiracy theories abound. Perhaps the followers of both major parties think they’re free agents, when they’re being moved around like pawns on the political chessboard. Corporations, lobbyist, special interests, mega, ultra-moneyed individual donors etc. donate tens of millions of dollars to both parties and their candidates. Most corporations, wall street firms donate to both political parties based on who has the best chance of winning. These moneyed elites want our elected official to owe them.

So where are both parties coming up with billions? It sure isn’t small campaign donors. No, we’re just a necessary evil to be moved around by the moneyed elites as they buy our elected officials.
The 2010 John Roberts SCOTUS pro-dark money decision Citizens United v. Federal Election Commission, THE controversial decision that reversed a century-old campaign finance restriction and enabled corporations and other outside groups to spend unlimited funds on elections...because money is "free speech."

Which means some people have a bigger megaphone than others because they have more "free speech" to spend on their message.

Contrarian, extraordinaire

1 member likes this: Jeffery J. Haas
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
some people have a bigger megaphone than others because they have more "free speech" to spend on their message.

It has ever been thus. It did not start with John Roberts nor with Julius Caesar.

And I suspect it will never change. He who has the gold rules!

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I’ve been supporting a law that would basically say if you can’t vote for a candidate, you can’t donate to that candidate or his campaign.

In essence, I agree. but there are a lot more masses to reach these days and reaching them has become more and more expensive.

When, for one reason or another, you want to donate to a candidate, like your brother-in-law in Podunk. I see no reason it should be written into law that you can't.

When a campaign becomes "of national interest" and I want to send some money to your brother-in-law in Podunk, I still don't see any reason to legislate otherwise.

The real dark money has always been there. Envelopes filled with cash...briefcases...SCOTUS just admitted it existed, and at least made it trackable to some extent.

1 member likes this: perotista
enthusiast
Online Content
enthusiast
Speaking of money, if you look at the graph, scroll down a bit, 1960-2016 you’ll see in very presidential election except two, the candidate with the most money to spend won. The exceptions were 1964 and 2016.

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/56-y...ding-how-2016_b_5820bf9ce4b0334571e09fc1

For 2020, Biden 1.6 billion to Trump’s 1.1 billion, again the candidate with the most money won.

https://www.opensecrets.org/2020-presidential-race

Here’s the midterms spending from 1998-2018

https://www.opensecrets.org/news/2018/10/2018-midterm-record-breaking-5-2-billion/

It's high past time that we start electing Americans to congress and the presidency who put America first instead of their political party. For way too long we have been electing Republicans and Democrats who happen to be Americans instead of Americans who happen to be Republicans and Democrats.
enthusiast
Online Content
enthusiast
I understand your point of view Greger. It was just the 2021 Georgia senate runoffs that 90% of all money raised came from out of state. It’s like I said, Georgia’s two senators don’t belong to Georgian’s, they belong to all those out of state non-Georgians who sent them close to a billion dollars. They don’t represent Georgians, they represent those out of staters.

As for money, if you research it, the party with the most incumbents, the party in power usually ends up with the most money. If the Democrats are the party in power and have the most incumbents, they’ll get the most money and vice versa with Republicans. The exception is wave elections where people are angry at the party in power, that situation, money alone can’t save the party in power. Donors know this, so they’ll donate their billions to the party out of power knowing the party out of power is going to win. Still, most huge donors will donate to both parties, that way regardless of who wins, the winner is going to owe them.

Examples Energy in 2020 63% of their donations went to Trump, 37% to Biden, Wall street, finance 73% to Biden, 27% to trump, Lawyers and Lobbyists, 91% to Biden, 9% to Trump. You can see the sector totals here.

https://www.opensecrets.org/2020-presidential-race/sector-totals?sector=A

It's high past time that we start electing Americans to congress and the presidency who put America first instead of their political party. For way too long we have been electing Republicans and Democrats who happen to be Americans instead of Americans who happen to be Republicans and Democrats.
It's the Despair Quotient!
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Originally Posted by Greger
WHAT A SURPRISE!!! A Republican doing in 1932 what ALL Republicans in Congress are now doing en masse today!
Now, who's comparing the 2020s to the 1930s?

Did he succeed? And are ALL Republicans in Congress succeeding in what he was trying to do?

Show me some examples...

You think NONE of the crap we're experiencing has anything to do with Citizens United or the time honored Republican gambit of refusing to concede?
Did he succeed?? How do you define failure?

Did TRUMP succeed in scuttling Biden's transition? Technically "NO" but is it normal to hamstring a transition team to the point where even the GSA head is subjecting the country to added risk by refusing to release monies, resources and computer systems, funds for salaries and administrative support for the monster undertaking of setting up a new government?

Transition officials weren't even allowed to get govt email addresses or office space for well over two months.
That eclipses even Hoover who tried pulling the same stunt on Roosevelt.

Hucking filarious to see you attempting to normalize this crap.

"The Best of the Leon Russell Festivals" DVD
deepfreezefilms.com
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
History shows that it's all pretty normal stuff, politics as usual, so to speak. What's odd is that you seem to feel it's all freakishly abnormal and spells the end of civilization as we know it.

Did TRUMP succeed in scuttling Biden's transition? Technically "NO"

Did Trump succeed at staying in office? Also technically "no". Perhaps you'd like to list a few things Trump succeeded at? Or explain to me how his many many failures translate into successes in your alternate world?

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Originally Posted by Greger
History shows that it's all pretty normal stuff, politics as usual, so to speak. What's odd is that you seem to feel it's all freakishly abnormal and spells the end of civilization as we know it.

Did TRUMP succeed in scuttling Biden's transition? Technically "NO"

Did Trump succeed at staying in office? Also technically "no". Perhaps you'd like to list a few things Trump succeeded at? Or explain to me how his many many failures translate into successes in your alternate world?

Silly me, I guess I am in the minority when I daresay that partisan politics has no place in the Secret Service, FBI, DoD or SCOTUS. What the MAGAts have succeeded at is staying out of prison.
No no no not the ordinary peasant MAGAts, the elites.
And that's what Trump HAS succeeded at and will succeed at.

If this was the 1930's I guess you'd be one of the folks calling "The Business Plot" just normal politics.
Perhaps if the folks behind that had been hung we wouldn't have had to endure January 6th.
Folks back then would have learned not to mount insurrections aimed at overthrowing the government.

Did I use the word civilization? Nope, but I will use the word democracy, even though that apparently doesn't hold much value in your world.
Trump has succeeded at turning us into an increasingly violent and self-destructive quasi-fascist theocracy with better strip malls.

[Linked Image from pbs.twimg.com]

"The Best of the Leon Russell Festivals" DVD
deepfreezefilms.com
enthusiast
Online Content
enthusiast
You must like this guy. With Fetterman it isn’t a case of stances on issues that causes me to like him. It is Fetterman himself, the individual, the person, the man. There’s a certain few politicians or candidates because of the person they are overrides their politics, where they stand on the issues. Politics and stances become totally irrelevant. I like this guy, if I were living in PA, he’d get my vote. This is just another reason why I like him.

Fetterman campaign to Dem super PAC: Drop dead

https://www.yahoo.com/news/fetterman-camp-goes-dem-super-202144190.html

Page 47 of 86 1 2 45 46 47 48 49 85 86

Link Copied to Clipboard