WE NEED YOUR HELP! Please donate to keep ReaderRant online to serve political discussion and its members. (Blue Ridge Photography pays the bills for RR).
Current Topics
Round Table for Spring 2024
by jgw - 06/02/24 05:30 PM
2024 Election Forum
by perotista - 06/02/24 01:50 AM
A question
by jgw - 05/31/24 07:06 PM
No rubbers for Trump
by pdx rick - 05/31/24 04:30 PM
Marching in favor of Palestinians
by jgw - 05/26/24 06:45 PM
Yeah, Trump admits he is a pure racist
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:28 PM
Trump's base having second thoughts
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:25 PM
Watching the Supreme Court
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:07 PM
Trump: "Anti-American authoritarian wannabe
by Doug Thompson - 05/05/24 03:27 PM
Fixing/Engineer the Weather
by jgw - 05/03/24 10:52 PM
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 127 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Agnostic Politico, Jems, robertjohn, BlackCat13th, ruggedman
6,305 Registered Users
Popular Topics(Views)
10,136,442 my own book page
5,021,849 We shall overcome
4,202,335 Campaign 2016
3,797,732 Trump's Trumpet
3,019,804 3 word story game
Top Posters
pdx rick 47,292
Scoutgal 27,583
Phil Hoskins 21,134
Greger 19,831
Towanda 19,391
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
jgw 5
Kaine 1
Forum Statistics
Forums59
Topics17,091
Posts313,849
Members6,305
Most Online294
Dec 6th, 2017
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 15 of 25 1 2 13 14 15 16 17 24 25
K
enthusiast
enthusiast
K
Originally Posted by NW Ponderer
So, I am dying to know how other people saw the last January 6 hearing, and no one has said anything...

As for me, I think the videos of Pelosi and Schumer trying to get help to the Capitol may have been the most damning.

Thoughts?

I agree. And to actually see the republicans and democrats working together for a cause was refreshing - although it's a shame they can only do it when their own safety is in question!

I did like the vote at the end to subpoena Mr. Trump. And since it will expire at the end of the congressional term, nothing will come of it.

And sorry Rick, but Mr. Trump will skate (no serious personal consequences) on everything.

Good doesn't always win!
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I agree. And to actually see the republicans and democrats working together for a cause was refreshing - although it's a shame they can only do it when their own safety is in question!

Did you happen to see Biden and DeSantis put aside their differences during the hurricane aftermath? The way real leaders do when their countrymen are suffering or in danger?

Mr. Trump will skate (no serious personal consequences) on everything.
The documents case might still have some teeth, it's my last hope.
It's really the job of Republicans to police themselves, in failing to do so they diminish themselves.

The biggest fear here seems to be that their failure to police themselves will bring them ever greater power. That the more corrupt they become, the more powerful they will become!
The more they steal, the more they'll get away with it. The more they kill the easier it will become until they are nothing but wild dogs running rampant over innocent Democrats.

Laughing in the streets as they kill anyone they think might think differently from them.

Old liberals like me will be thrown from my wheelchair and kicked to death. It will be a bloodbath...

Or else...life will go on pretty much like it always has. For me and for Mr. Trump.

Good coffee, good weed, and time on my hands...
K
enthusiast
enthusiast
K
Originally Posted by Greger
Did you happen to see Biden and DeSantis put aside their differences during the hurricane aftermath? The way real leaders do when their countrymen are suffering or in danger?

I did see that. And it was a glimmer of hope, no matter how short-lived.

Originally Posted by Greger
The biggest fear here seems to be that their failure to police themselves will bring them ever greater power. That the more corrupt they become, the more powerful they will become!
The more they steal, the more they'll get away with it. The more they kill the easier it will become until they are nothing but wild dogs running rampant over innocent Democrats.

Laughing in the streets as they kill anyone they think might think differently from them.

Old liberals like me will be thrown from my wheelchair and kicked to death. It will be a bloodbath...
Come on now. I didn't say all that - nor have I implied it.

What does scare me though, is that enough anti-democratic republicans will get elected to the individual states, making it legal - yes legal - that state legislators will decide on who their state elects for president. The result of which, someone getting "voted" into the Presidency by state legislatures, instead of by we the people!!

Good doesn't always win!
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
What does scare me though, is that enough anti-democratic republicans will get elected to the individual states, making it legal - yes legal - that state legislators will decide on who their state elects for president. The result of which, someone getting "voted" into the Presidency by state legislatures, instead of by we the people!!

It's a legitimate fear, but I just don't see it as a "likely outcome". Any state that might pass that law is so red that the issue would be moot. No Democrats are likely to be elected there anyway...

Much like here in Floriduh! Nobody I ever vote for wins. It's Republican Democracy.

It's not really as bad as they make it out to be. There are a f*ck ton of Democrats and left-leaners here. Not quite enough to win elections except in the urban districts.

But plenty enough that we won't sit still for too many shenanigans. We're a handful of votes away from being a blue state...DeSantis won by 32,000 votes. He'll probably do better this time because he reacted well to the hurricane, as did President Biden.

I don't fear DeSantis. He's a prick and I hate that he might be the next president, but he's also a lawyer and a veteran. He has made public service his life. He has no ties to Trump.

Unless Democrats do something remarkable in their primaries I've got a C-note says DeSantis for the win and TWO terms. Because he's a decent administrator.

And I expect him to be replaced by a Democrat ten years from now. Because he's an assh*le,

It's not going to be a great time for progressives...but when has it ever been a great time for progressives...? We'll muddle through and the Union will survive.

That's my long-term prognostication and it's pretty lame next to these end-of-democracy laments. Elections and democracy will remain intact for the near term, Democrats will not maintain control but will win it back.

We'll have plenty to talk about here over the next decade, but not much of it will be about Trump.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I will be curious and doing my research to see how the hurricane and its aftermath affects the voting in Florida. So many displaced people.

A well reasoned argument is like a diamond: impervious to corruption and crystal clear - and infinitely rarer.

Here, as elsewhere, people are outraged at what feels like a rigged game -- an economy that won't respond, a democracy that won't listen, and a financial sector that holds all the cards. - Robert Reich
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
So many displaced people.

Mostly Republican Boomers and mostly in heavily red districts that will still go as heavily red as ever.

enthusiast
Online Content
enthusiast
Greger, we have this habit of electing a Democratic president followed by a Republican followed by a Democrat followed by a Republican etc. We’ve done this since Truman to IKE to JFK/LBJ to Nixon/Ford to Carter to Reagan etc. With the only exception was Reagan followed by the elder Bush who promptly lost to Bill Clinton. Clinton was replaced by Bush the younger, then Obama, then Trump, now Biden. So, DeSantis seem logical. Now if the Republicans run Trump in 2024, we’ll probably get another exception to the R-D-R-D etc. habit. 2/3rds of all Americans don’t want another Trump vs. Biden matchup in 2024. The question is - will the two major parties pay attention?

It's high past time that we start electing Americans to congress and the presidency who put America first instead of their political party. For way too long we have been electing Republicans and Democrats who happen to be Americans instead of Americans who happen to be Republicans and Democrats.
It's the Despair Quotient!
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Originally Posted by Kaine

Pisses me off, the way "fighting words" do, the way intimidation does, the way domestic terrorism does.
Apparently not everyone thinks it's a big deal but to paraphrase Joe Biden, "This is a big ****ing deal", perhaps one of the biggest of deals.

Ya know, Iran runs all candidates by a "panel of experts" who block anyone that they don't like.
That's how they "preserve and defend" their walled garden.
What we're watching happen right now is almost an equivalent. Thus if it comes to pass, our elections will be no more founded in solid ethics than Iran's. We might as well just "vote for the Trumper of your choice" even after Trump is long dead, because once our own "panel of experts" is in place, it will create a PERMANENT DEAR LEADER system, a permanent Ayatollah environment, a potemkin democracy for show only.

If we're not allowed to have our vote represent the will of the people, democracy is toast because it's really the only part of democracy specifically laid out in the Constitution and our founders stupidly believed that state legislatures would remain honorably committed to ethical foundations that preserve the stability of the republic.

It seems like they collectively agreed that "No one would DARE to take things to the bottom" but as it turns out, a significant portion of our representatives HAVE no bottom anymore.

And an even larger portion of us just don't give a damn...unless something happens that directly attacks their personal well being. If it affects their neighbor, doesn't matter.

And the largest portion simply refuses to believe it could happen.
"It can't happen here."

Wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross.

"The Best of the Leon Russell Festivals" DVD
deepfreezefilms.com
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Originally Posted by perotista
Greger, we have this habit of electing a Democratic president followed by a Republican followed by a Democrat followed by a Republican etc. We’ve done this since Truman to IKE to JFK/LBJ to Nixon/Ford to Carter to Reagan etc. With the only exception was Reagan followed by the elder Bush who promptly lost to Bill Clinton. Clinton was replaced by Bush the younger, then Obama, then Trump, now Biden. So, DeSantis seem logical. Now if the Republicans run Trump in 2024, we’ll probably get another exception to the R-D-R-D etc. habit. 2/3rds of all Americans don’t want another Trump vs. Biden matchup in 2024. The question is - will the two major parties pay attention?

You still think today's GOP is still just a bunch of ordinary Republicans.
Remarkable.

deepfreezefilms.com
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Originally Posted by perotista
Now if the Republicans run Trump in 2024, we’ll probably get another exception to the R-D-R-D etc. habit. 2/3rds of all Americans don’t want another Trump vs. Biden matchup in 2024.

To the point where one more "exception" and suddenly your "rule" is no longer a rule anymore.
By the way, if enough state houses grant themselves the power to just overturn state vote tallies on a whim, there won't BE two major parties anymore.

I guess you're just focused on the horse race aspects of it and not the consequences of a series of failed constitutional crises.

deepfreezefilms.com
1 member likes this: pdx rick
Page 15 of 25 1 2 13 14 15 16 17 24 25

Moderated by  Doug Thompson, Greger, NW Ponderer 

Link Copied to Clipboard