WE NEED YOUR HELP! Please donate to keep ReaderRant online to serve political discussion and its members. (Blue Ridge Photography pays the bills for RR).
Current Topics
Round Table for Spring 2024
by jgw - 06/02/24 05:30 PM
2024 Election Forum
by perotista - 06/02/24 01:50 AM
A question
by jgw - 05/31/24 07:06 PM
No rubbers for Trump
by pdx rick - 05/31/24 04:30 PM
Marching in favor of Palestinians
by jgw - 05/26/24 06:45 PM
Yeah, Trump admits he is a pure racist
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:28 PM
Trump's base having second thoughts
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:25 PM
Watching the Supreme Court
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:07 PM
Trump: "Anti-American authoritarian wannabe
by Doug Thompson - 05/05/24 03:27 PM
Fixing/Engineer the Weather
by jgw - 05/03/24 10:52 PM
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 9 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Agnostic Politico, Jems, robertjohn, BlackCat13th, ruggedman
6,305 Registered Users
Popular Topics(Views)
10,131,417 my own book page
5,021,748 We shall overcome
4,201,042 Campaign 2016
3,796,592 Trump's Trumpet
3,019,205 3 word story game
Top Posters
pdx rick 47,292
Scoutgal 27,583
Phil Hoskins 21,134
Greger 19,831
Towanda 19,391
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
jgw 5
Kaine 1
Forum Statistics
Forums59
Topics17,091
Posts313,849
Members6,305
Most Online294
Dec 6th, 2017
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 52 of 86 1 2 50 51 52 53 54 85 86
CHB-OG
OP Offline
CHB-OG
There’s also a dark horse coming up from behind that Pero has never mentioned - the NC Senate race. smile

Contrarian, extraordinaire

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by NW Ponderer
Originally Posted by perotista
Who cares, Walker isn’t going to win in Georgia. I’ve placed Georgia in my rear-view mirror. Unless something unforeseen happens between now and November, Warnock will keep his seat. He’ll probably win by 5 points or around there. I’m focused on PA and NV in the senate, some on NC.

36 house democrats are either retiring or running for higher office vs. 18 Republicans. Open seats are much easier to flip than beating an incumbent. Greger has this right.
FiveThirtyEight has the house spread at between 6 and 11, which I think is about right. There are definitely going to be surprises. The polls are not picking up a lot of activity, in my view. We're getting close to crunch time, and the question is really who shows up - committed activists, or died-in-the wool base voters. Early voting has started.

Originally Posted by perotista
Regardless of all the above, I still see the Republicans gain 11-13 house seats and control. While the senate stays at 50-50 or the Democrats gain a seat, PA for a 51-49 advantage if they don't lose NV. NV is interesting as Hispanics are voting more and more Republican. Which is a huge win for the Democrats as the historical average with a president whose approval is hovering around 40% is 48.5 house seats lost, 6 senate seats lost along with 4.25 governorships. The Democrats are posed to gain at 3 governorships. 3 weeks to go, things can and will change.
I think after the dust settles, it will be 50 Dem, 48 Rep, and 2 Independents in the Senate. I am hoping for a couple a startling upsets - Johnson in WI, and Rubio in Florida (one can dream). If McMullen could pull off Utah, I would be ecstatic!

On the House side I am much more pessimistic. I wish the video of Pelosi on January 6 got more circulation. She was nails.
I too at the beginning of my forecasts thought the Democrats would gain PA, WI and perhaps NC. Today it looks like only PA, although WI could surprise. Keep an eye on IA. I also thought NV was safe for the Dem, but it isn’t today. 50-50 chance on it going Republican. But I still think incumbency will carry Cortez Masto to a win. NV brings up another subject, Hispanics. The Republicans are making good inroads with Hispanics in Texas, NM, Arizona and Nevada. But not in the rest of the country. Which explains why the AZ governors’ race is basically a tie.

The momentum has shifted back to the GOP. It was with GOP until the first week of August, then went to the Democrats, now has shifted back to the GOP. unlike in some past elections, the momentum either for or against either party hasn’t been huge. You can see this in the graph below.

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/other/2022-generic-congressional-vote-7361.html

Back in July, a gain of 18-20 seats for the GOP in the house looked likely, then the momentum swing in August which cut that probable gain down to 11-13 where I have it today. I do however expect the house gains to rise for the Republicans over the next 3 weeks because of the momentum swing. Maybe back to that 18-20, maybe not. The senate probably will remain 50-50 or 51-49 democratic depending on NV. There’s been changes in the governor’s races also, no longer a 3-4 Democratic pickup, perhaps closer to a draw or a gain of 1 or 2. Still, 3 weeks can be a lifetime when it comes to elections. A lot of changes can and at times do occur in the final 3 weeks.

It's high past time that we start electing Americans to congress and the presidency who put America first instead of their political party. For way too long we have been electing Republicans and Democrats who happen to be Americans instead of Americans who happen to be Republicans and Democrats.
enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by pdx rick
There’s also a dark horse coming up from behind that Pero has never mentioned - the NC Senate race. smile

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/e...arolina_senate_budd_vs_beasley-7588.html

Which simply means NC leans Republican with Budd having around a 70% chance of winning considering NC history and voting habits among other things. NC has a PVI of R+3.

It's high past time that we start electing Americans to congress and the presidency who put America first instead of their political party. For way too long we have been electing Republicans and Democrats who happen to be Americans instead of Americans who happen to be Republicans and Democrats.
K
enthusiast
enthusiast
K
Turns out, Corporate greed is responsible for inflation. Quelle surprise. crazy
I can believe this.

The corporations have to make the money back they lost when Covid hit and they were forced to pay higher wages for trivial jobs, like working at Sheets or your local convivence store for $14.00/hr. Corporations had to have taken a hit during that time frame.

I don't understand why we are still having supply chain issues. I mean, unemployment is at the lowest point ever (maybe not ever, but for a long time), but we still have problems getting many items in stores.

I think the issue is not as much of a supply chain issue as it is a supply issue. Keep the supplies low and the prices stay high - basic law of demand/price.

Good doesn't always win!
CHB-OG
OP Offline
CHB-OG
Originally Posted by Kaine
Corporations had to have taken a hit during that time frame.
What I'd like to see is corp executives take a hit. How many homes/yachts/islands do they need to own? mad

enthusiast
enthusiast
Perotista’s Senate and House forecast, updated 19 Oct 2022

Senate +1-3 equals lean, but within the MOE. These states are very competitive with one party or candidate having a slight advantage. +4-6 outside the MOE, equals likely but still competitive. +7 and above, those states aren’t listed. They’re considered solid or safe for the party that currently holds them.

Senate changes – AZ D Kelly up from +4 to +5, GA D Warnock up from +1 to +3, NV R Laxalt from -1 to +1, NC R Budd up from +1 to +2, PA D Fetterman down from +6 to +4, WI R Johnson up from +1 to +2

Arizona Kelly D – Kelly +5 Democratic hold R 50 D 50
Georgia Warnock D – Warnock +3 Democratic hold R 50, D 50
Florida Rubio R – R Rubio +5 Republican hold R 50 D 50
Nevada Cortez Masto D – R Laxalt +1 Republican gain R 51 - D 49
New Hampshire Hassan D – Hassan +6 Democratic hold R 51 D 49
North Carolina Burr R – Burr is retiring, open seat. R Budd vs. D Beasley. Budd +2 Republican hold. R 51 D 49
Ohio – Portman R – Portman is retiring, open seat. R Vance vs, D Ryan Vance +3 Republican hold. R 51 D 49
Pennsylvania Toomey R – Toomey is retiring, open seat. R Oz vs. D Fetterman, Fetterman +4 Democratic gain R 50 D 50
Wisconsin Johnson R – R Johnson +2 Republican hold. R 50 D 50

The 50-50 tie remains with VP Harris providing the tie breaking vote and giving the Democrats control of the senate. Democrats pickup PA, Republicans gain NV.

House of Representatives

Currently the House of Representative consists of 222 Democrats, 213 Republicans. The GOP needs a net gain of 5 seats to take control of the House. There are 61 competitive, switchable, at risk districts. Currently held by 44 Democrats and 17 Republicans. Safe seats, 178 Democratic, 196 Republican. Probable net gain for the Republicans is 11-13 seats. Which would give the GOP control of the house with the majority over the Democrats somewhere between 224-212 to 226-209.

CHB-OG
OP Offline
CHB-OG
If the Rs control the House and the Ds control the Senate, the only thing the Rs can do have have their asinine "investigations."

SEE: Benghazi
SEE: Durham

...and Nancy becomes the Ambassador to Italy. smile

enthusiast
enthusiast
If Rick, what you state becomes true, you bet the Republicans will launch a ton of investigations along with bringing any legislation to a screeching halt. But keeping the senate will let Biden’s nominees get confirmed. Then Biden, like Obama did for his last six years will govern via executive order. Which the SCOTUS will overturn a bunch like Obama had several ruled unconstitutional.

If the GOP retakes control of house, look for an investigation into Hunter Biden. Look for McCarthy to deny certain democrats any committee appointments, then look for impeachment of Biden. Republicans will be in the political payback mode. But you will have gridlock, stalemate, no legislation period. All setting the scene for 2024. How all that plays out, I don’t know. It depends on who each party nominates. Only 17% of independents want Biden to run again in 2024, 53% do not with the rest undecided. Question 61. 24% of independents want Trump to run again, 48% do not. Question 62.

https://docs.cdn.yougov.com/szo0yco18u/econTabReport.pdf

Like this year’s midterms, independents will be the deciding factor. Independents have shifted back to voting for Republican congressional candidates this year by a 43-35 margin. If you’re interested in how a Biden vs. Trump rematch would play out today, you have this.

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2024/president/us/general-election-trump-vs-biden-7383.html

Never underestimate the power of independents in deciding elections. Which both parties do all the time. According to Gallup, independents make up a bit more than 40% of the total electorate. But only around 25% of those who vote in any one election.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
If the Rs control the House and the Ds control the Senate, the only thing the Rs can do have their asinine "investigations."

And this, Rick, is the magic that always happens whenever Republicans "seize" control...

They make utter fools of themselves. A Biden impeachment is coming up too. In which Republicans will make utter fools of themselves. And the senate will (predictably) fail to convict.

Further diminishing them in the eyes of all Americans, but most importantly future voters.

Good coffee, good weed, and time on my hands...
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Originally Posted by Greger
If the Rs control the House and the Ds control the Senate, the only thing the Rs can do have their asinine "investigations."

And this, Rick, is the magic that always happens whenever Republicans "seize" control...

They make utter fools of themselves. A Biden impeachment is coming up too. In which Republicans will make utter fools of themselves. And the senate will (predictably) fail to convict.

Further diminishing them in the eyes of all Americans, but most importantly future voters.
But they will also destroy the economy by trying to hold all legislation hostage to unrealistic cuts. They will use the debt ceiling as a cudgel, just like they did the last time they had power.

A well reasoned argument is like a diamond: impervious to corruption and crystal clear - and infinitely rarer.

Here, as elsewhere, people are outraged at what feels like a rigged game -- an economy that won't respond, a democracy that won't listen, and a financial sector that holds all the cards. - Robert Reich
1 member likes this: pdx rick
Page 52 of 86 1 2 50 51 52 53 54 85 86

Link Copied to Clipboard