WE NEED YOUR HELP! Please donate to keep ReaderRant online to serve political discussion and its members. (Blue Ridge Photography pays the bills for RR).
Current Topics
Round Table for Spring 2024
by jgw - 06/02/24 05:30 PM
2024 Election Forum
by perotista - 06/02/24 01:50 AM
A question
by jgw - 05/31/24 07:06 PM
No rubbers for Trump
by pdx rick - 05/31/24 04:30 PM
Marching in favor of Palestinians
by jgw - 05/26/24 06:45 PM
Yeah, Trump admits he is a pure racist
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:28 PM
Trump's base having second thoughts
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:25 PM
Watching the Supreme Court
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:07 PM
Trump: "Anti-American authoritarian wannabe
by Doug Thompson - 05/05/24 03:27 PM
Fixing/Engineer the Weather
by jgw - 05/03/24 10:52 PM
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 127 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Agnostic Politico, Jems, robertjohn, BlackCat13th, ruggedman
6,305 Registered Users
Popular Topics(Views)
10,136,442 my own book page
5,021,849 We shall overcome
4,202,335 Campaign 2016
3,797,732 Trump's Trumpet
3,019,804 3 word story game
Top Posters
pdx rick 47,292
Scoutgal 27,583
Phil Hoskins 21,134
Greger 19,831
Towanda 19,391
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
jgw 5
Kaine 1
Forum Statistics
Forums59
Topics17,091
Posts313,849
Members6,305
Most Online294
Dec 6th, 2017
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 57 of 86 1 2 55 56 57 58 59 85 86
CHB-OG
OP Offline
CHB-OG
That doddering old fool has racked up an impressive legislative achievement record in 18-months. Even a truly mush-brained POTUS like Reagan didn’t do that!

Contrarian, extraordinaire

enthusiast
Online Content
enthusiast
Giving the party out of power a chance when one becomes dissatisfied with the party in power is a time-honored tradition. Presidents since Truman have alternated political parties. A D, then a R, then a D, then another R and so on with the lone exception of Reagan to Bush the elder. The people have given one political party a limit of 8-year reign. Now the house was different, different when the Democratic Party was the big tent party. As I stated the democrats controlled the House in 58 out of 62 years with a string of 40 straight. But then again, that was when the Democratic Party was the big tent party. It’s not any more as the democratic party seeks ideological purity just like the GOP. Since both parties began their search for ideological purity, we had the house change control in 1994, 2006, 2010, 2018 and probably in 2022.

Which proves what? Perhaps people are dissatisfied with the way the party in power is governing regardless of which party that is? Maybe, maybe not. Perhaps it’s the way both parties govern? Governing the way the Republicans do, making their base happy doesn’t make the other 70% of Americans happy. Governing the way the Democratic Party does, making their base happy, doesn’t make the other 70% of Americans happy. Counting independent leaners, you could say 40% instead of 30% which is right around each major party’s base. Even so, you’re still leaving 60% of America unhappy.

It's high past time that we start electing Americans to congress and the presidency who put America first instead of their political party. For way too long we have been electing Republicans and Democrats who happen to be Americans instead of Americans who happen to be Republicans and Democrats.
It's the Despair Quotient!
Carpal Tunnel
It's the Despair Quotient!
Carpal Tunnel
Originally Posted by perotista
Giving the party out of power a chance when one becomes dissatisfied with the party in power is a time-honored tradition.

You keep repeating these old pablums but you even admitted to exceptions, almost enough to negate the rule.
You keep talking as if this is just an adjustment, ignoring the fact that Republicans intend to fundamentally alter the workings of the system so that there will never be a peaceful transfer of power ever again.

You ignore the fact that they're openly admitting that they're sick of democracy itself.
This is just a horse race to you and you seem to believe most everyone else isn't okay with the horse race.
It's not a horse race this time.

If they seize power this time around, we're going to resemble Hungary, not America.
If we're lucky we might just resemble Mexico under the seventy-eight year lock of the old PRI.
If we're not lucky we might resemble Iran.

Neither Hungary, PRI controlled Mexico or Iran allows ANY transfer of power ever.
It's like a kiddie steering wheel, you can saw back and forth as much as you like but the car doesn't deviate one inch unless the "parent" turns the real wheel.

You're going to find fascist America very boring for your prognostication musheen.

And your signature will be a sad joke.
Party over country?
Yeah, right. Sure Pero...you're in for a very rude awakening.
Your "time honored tradition" is about to take a final bow for the swan song of democracy and it will not return in our lifetime.

"The Best of the Leon Russell Festivals" DVD
deepfreezefilms.com
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Your "time honored tradition" is about to take a final bow for the swan song of democracy and it will not return in our lifetime.

Do you mind if I wait until it happens or should I just kill myself now...?
What if it's not as bad as you say...should I kill myself anyway?

Neither party seems to have a lot of respect for democracy anymore. Anyone who votes against you has already been labeled a traitor to this country. Any vote you disapprove of an act of treason.

That isn't democracy, it's a partisan sham to maintain power through fear mongering and fabrications.

Good coffee, good weed, and time on my hands...
enthusiast
Online Content
enthusiast
Greger, I’m use to partisan rants. I tend to ignore them. As a swing voter, a non-affiliated, certainly non-partisan which leans toward one party and then other I look at both major parties doing all they can, saying whatever, fear mongering as you said to retain power or to regain power. I’m also use to both parties governing for just their base, not America as a whole. That is what it is as one should expect no less in our two-party electoral system. There’s no viable third choice for those who are or are getting disgusted with the shenanigans of both major parties. Outside of voting in one party one election and voting them out the next. This too as presidents go is a time-honored tradition and is becoming one for congress lately. When I look at the preferred outcome of this year’s midterms, I look at independents and discard Republicans and Democrats.

Question 58. Preferred 2022 Senate Outcome - What is your preference for the outcome of this year’s elections for the U.S. Senate? Independents, swing voters answered 30% republican controlled, 23% democratic controlled, 15% evenly divided with a huge 32% no preference.

Question 60. Preferred 2022 House Outcome - What is your preference for the outcome of this year’s elections for the U.S. House of Representatives? Independents, swing voters answered 32% Republican controlled, 25% Democratic controlled, 12% evenly divided, with 31% answering no preference.

https://docs.cdn.yougov.com/3vmufv6ya9/econTabReport.pdf
Roughly a third of independents answering no preference is interesting. I suspect they see little to no difference between the parties or given up caring realizing their wishes and wants are totally ignored by both major parties. This also shows in who independents plan on voting for this midterm. 41% for Republicans, 33% for Democrats.

Question 86. Generic Congressional Vote - If the election for U.S. Congress were being held today, who would you vote for in the district where you live?

It's high past time that we start electing Americans to congress and the presidency who put America first instead of their political party. For way too long we have been electing Republicans and Democrats who happen to be Americans instead of Americans who happen to be Republicans and Democrats.
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
While I don't see this as being the end of democracy in America it could very well be the end of Democrats in America for the next decade or so.

Unless Democrats get their sh*t together they will lose the Whitehouse and the Senate in 2024.

I expect DeSantis will serve two honorable but tumultuous terms before being replaced by a Democrat almost exactly ten years from this date.

Democracy in action, as it's supposed to work.

enthusiast
Online Content
enthusiast
Here’s how independents voted over the last 20 years. Not quite the vote one party in one election and kick them out them out the next, but close. This shows you how quickly independents can become dissatisfied with the people, party they just voted for.

2004 vote Republican, reelect Bush
2006 vote Democratic give control of congress to the democrats
2008 vote democratic, elect Obama
2010 vote Republican give the GOP control of the house
2012 vote Democratic, reelect Obama
2014 vote Republican, give the Republicans control of the senate
2016 vote Republican, elect Trump
2018 vote Democratic, give the Democrats control of the House
2020 vote Democratic for president, elect Biden, vote republican for congress, letting the GOP gain 13 house seats.
2022 ????? If the polls are correct, independents will vote Republican giving the GOP control of the house

There’s a larger, deeper story here, but this isn’t the time to get into it. I’m not so sure the democrats will remain on the outs for the next 10 years, Greger. It depends on who both parties nominate in 2024. But I wouldn’t be surprised if the party in power loses the house in 2026 and perhaps the senate. Then again depending on who is nominate to challenge the current president, a loss there in 2028 wouldn’t surprise me either. The party that nominates a candidate most attractive to independents will win. Not necessarily their base, but one who can attract and receive the vote of independents. Who by the way if Gallup is to be believed, make up 43% of the electorate. Democrats 28%, Republicans 27%.

If I were a democrat, I'd nominate Tammy Duckworth in 2024 to go against DeSantis. I'd stay away from old has beens like Sanders, Warren, anyone over 60 and anyone who previously ran for the democratic nomination.

Last edited by perotista; 10/27/22 12:28 AM.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
It's up to the Democrats to pick a dynamic and exciting candidate in 2024. If they fail then DeSantis will likely sit in the oval office for eight years.

Biden and Harris would be doing their party a big favor if they bowed out early and let the jostling begin for who's going to be our next Democratic President.

enthusiast
Online Content
enthusiast
I agree. Today both Biden and Harris are losing to Trump in a hypothetical 2024 matchup

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2024/president/us/general-election-trump-vs-biden-7383.html

As for Harris, her favorable rating is lower than Trump’s among all Americans with her unfavorable higher.

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/other/other/FavorabilityRatingsPoliticalLeaders.html

Biden in my opinion accomplished his mission, that was to defeat Trump in 2020. 2024, time for fresh, younger faces to take over the mantle of leadership and gain the presidential and VP nomination.

K
enthusiast
enthusiast
K
It's up to the Democrats to pick a dynamic and exciting candidate in 2024.
I think they'll pick Biden again, if he's still feasible by then (I didn't think he was feasible in 2020). Mr. Biden was the last person I wanted to see nominated in 2020, but it didn't matter what I thought. It was already decided till we got to our PA primaries. Funny how all of Mr. Bidens opponents dropped out all about the same time. I think that's pretty much what the DNC did in 2020. Told them all it was Joe's turn and to step down or lose all funding. Grrrrr.
So, I had to vote for Mr. Trump or Mr. Biden, or not at all. I don't like to not vote, so I had to pick Mr. Biden. I didn't really know any write ins, and to write in, would be the same as not voting anyway.

Good doesn't always win!
Page 57 of 86 1 2 55 56 57 58 59 85 86

Link Copied to Clipboard