WE NEED YOUR HELP! Please donate to keep ReaderRant online to serve political discussion and its members. (Blue Ridge Photography pays the bills for RR).
Current Topics
Round Table for Spring 2024
by jgw - 06/02/24 05:30 PM
2024 Election Forum
by perotista - 06/02/24 01:50 AM
A question
by jgw - 05/31/24 07:06 PM
No rubbers for Trump
by pdx rick - 05/31/24 04:30 PM
Marching in favor of Palestinians
by jgw - 05/26/24 06:45 PM
Yeah, Trump admits he is a pure racist
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:28 PM
Trump's base having second thoughts
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:25 PM
Watching the Supreme Court
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:07 PM
Trump: "Anti-American authoritarian wannabe
by Doug Thompson - 05/05/24 03:27 PM
Fixing/Engineer the Weather
by jgw - 05/03/24 10:52 PM
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 9 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Agnostic Politico, Jems, robertjohn, BlackCat13th, ruggedman
6,305 Registered Users
Popular Topics(Views)
10,131,417 my own book page
5,021,748 We shall overcome
4,201,042 Campaign 2016
3,796,592 Trump's Trumpet
3,019,205 3 word story game
Top Posters
pdx rick 47,292
Scoutgal 27,583
Phil Hoskins 21,134
Greger 19,831
Towanda 19,391
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
jgw 5
Kaine 1
Forum Statistics
Forums59
Topics17,091
Posts313,849
Members6,305
Most Online294
Dec 6th, 2017
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 75 of 86 1 2 73 74 75 76 77 85 86
It's the Despair Quotient!
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Originally Posted by pdx rick
I don't consider Munchin or Sinema moderate. I consider them hostiles. mad

That was my point.
Slim pickings.

I consider them monsters and I am also expecting one or both of them to switch parties midstream.

"The Best of the Leon Russell Festivals" DVD
deepfreezefilms.com
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I did define moderate here:

The plan to install a non-member of Congress as Speaker continues to have legs. Politico is reporting that retiring Congressman Fred Upton (R-MI) is the current rumored name. The goal is to deny Kevin McCarthy Speakership and the MAGAts chairman positions on the House committees.

I've never heard of Fred Upton, so I did a little googling.

Turns out, Upton, first elected in 1986, is one of the longest-tenured Republicans in the House. He previously chaired the House Energy and Commerce Committee and garnered a reputation for working with members across the aisle.

"He treats everyone equally, doesn't matter if there's a 'D' or 'R' next to your name,"
- Rep. Tony Cárdenas, D-Calif.,

I like this and I could live with this. smile

I know, and yes, you DID define it.
I'm sensing the continuing mood in the House GOP and how it affects a person like Upton's chances.

"The Best of the Leon Russell Festivals" DVD
deepfreezefilms.com
CHB-OG
OP Offline
CHB-OG
The plan is for moderate R's like Upton and the Dems to form a coalition like other countries do.

Contrarian, extraordinaire

1 member likes this: Jeffery J. Haas
enthusiast
enthusiast
When other countries form a coalition government, you’re talking 3 or more viable parties which have seats in their parliament. Here, we have two parties with no other party to form a coalition with. In other countries, the party with the most members usually doesn’t have enough seats to make a majority, 50% plus 1, thus making it a must to form a coalition with other parties to get to a majority.

Having said that, you do have 213 democrats, all that would be needed is 5 moderate republicans so fed up with Trumpism that they’d unite with the democrats. But would those 5 moderate republicans be willing to give the speakership to a democrat? Maybe to a outside man? There’s no requirement the speaker must be a member of the House.

The Democrats accomplished a lot with but 222 members in the house. They were united. The Republicans are disunited. McCarthy will be challenged by a Trumper. It may be a long while before the house can achieve the 218 votes needed to pick the next speaker. Even if McCarthy finally makes it as speaker, he’ll be beholding to Trumpers like MTG.

It's high past time that we start electing Americans to congress and the presidency who put America first instead of their political party. For way too long we have been electing Republicans and Democrats who happen to be Americans instead of Americans who happen to be Republicans and Democrats.
CHB-OG
OP Offline
CHB-OG
But we do have three "parties" right now: Dems, moderate Republicans and MAGAts (formerly known as TBaggers smile )

Originally Posted by perotista
The Democrats accomplished a lot with but 222 members in the house. They were united. The Republicans are disunited. .

That is why there is talk of forming a coalition of moderate Republicans and Dems. This Upton guy sounds like the perfect guy for the job. smile

enthusiast
enthusiast
You have 2 major parties, the Republican and Democratic Parties. Now you have different factions/wings within each party. Calling the MAGA faction and the moderate faction within the Republican Party two different political parties is the same as call the Progressives and moderate Democrats within the Democratic Party two different political parties. Thus in your way of thinking that’s 4 political parties.

It's high past time that we start electing Americans to congress and the presidency who put America first instead of their political party. For way too long we have been electing Republicans and Democrats who happen to be Americans instead of Americans who happen to be Republicans and Democrats.
enthusiast
enthusiast
Here’s an interesting article.

Turnout by Republicans Was Great. It's Just That Many of Them Didn't Vote for Republicans.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/turnout-republicans-great-just-many-191913435.html

The exit polls for the runoff hasn’t been published yet. But it seems many more Republicans voted than democrats, only a bunch of them voted for Warnock over Walker. The Article goes into much more detail.

Here in Georgia, Trump gets the blame for losing our two Republican senate seats back in 2021 runoff. Trump’s, your vote won’t count campaign. Then Trump comes up with a dunce to run for the senate in Walker. I do think here in Georgia there’s probably more anti-Trump Republicans than in any other state. It wasn’t turnout that that cost Walker to be defeated.

From the article which I agree with.

In state after state, the final turnout data shows that registered Republicans turned out at a higher rate — and in some places a much higher rate — than registered Democrats, including in many of the states where Republicans were dealt some of their most embarrassing losses.

Instead, high-profile Republicans like Herschel Walker in Georgia or Blake Masters in Arizona lost because Republican-leaning voters decided to cast ballots for Democrats, even as they voted for Republican candidates for U.S. House or other down-ballot races in their states.

Georgia is a fine example. While Walker may blame turnout for his poor showing in November and earlier this week, other Republican candidates seemed to have no problem at all. Gov. Brian Kemp won by nearly 8 points over Stacey Abrams; Republican candidates for House won the most votes on the same day.

Yet Sen. Raphael Warnock won in Georgia anyway because a large group of voters willing to back other Republicans weren’t willing to back Walker.

enthusiast
enthusiast
And another

GOP Georgia lieutenant governor: Every Republican ‘ought to hold Donald Trump accountable’ for Warnock win

https://www.yahoo.com/news/gop-georgia-lieutenant-governor-every-164516027.html

CHB-OG
OP Offline
CHB-OG
...just as abortion brought out the Dems this midterm and stemmed the red tide, Clarence Thomas ran his big, bigoted, mouth and got gay-marriage codified.

I love it when Rwingers shoot themselves in the foot. smile

CHB-OG
OP Offline
CHB-OG
Republicans 2024: We have an uncanny ability to lose winnable elections

Page 75 of 86 1 2 73 74 75 76 77 85 86

Link Copied to Clipboard