Personally, I think there is a shift on. It will probably take the rest of the decade to see the results, but I think Democrats are picking up adherents, and Republicans are losing them. Unfortunately, geography, demographics, and judicial politics will all still play an outsized role in the makeup of the Congress, and the Electoral College results. We're still poised on a knife's edge regarding the continued insurrection.

Right wing terrorism is on the rise. We are in for an extended period of "lone wolf" and more organized attacks, like the substation attacks in North Carolina, Oregon and Washington.

Then we have the continuing agitation of Trump, Musk and Fuentes, MT Greene, Tucker Carlson, Laura Ingraham, and Paul Gosar, among many others. I've seen a lot of reich-wing activity online, and it is becoming extremely unsubtle. They don't even hide their animosities anymore. They have allies in Congress and the media, and have been stockpiling weapons.

"Right-wing armed groups won’t disappear after inauguration, even as they pose a bigger threat to U.S. democracy and rule of law than any organized crime group, and have killed more Americans in recent years than foreign terrorists. The threat of such groups and their political cooptation by Trump’s political supporters will persist long into the Biden administration. Countering this must be a high priority." How to counter right-wing armed groups in the United States (Brookings)

So, it really is coming down to democracy vs. autocracy, and we need to play to win.

A well reasoned argument is like a diamond: impervious to corruption and crystal clear - and infinitely rarer.

Here, as elsewhere, people are outraged at what feels like a rigged game -- an economy that won't respond, a democracy that won't listen, and a financial sector that holds all the cards. - Robert Reich