WE NEED YOUR HELP! Please donate to keep ReaderRant online to serve political discussion and its members. (Blue Ridge Photography pays the bills for RR).
Current Topics
Round Table for Spring 2024
by jgw - 06/02/24 05:30 PM
2024 Election Forum
by perotista - 06/02/24 01:50 AM
A question
by jgw - 05/31/24 07:06 PM
No rubbers for Trump
by pdx rick - 05/31/24 04:30 PM
Marching in favor of Palestinians
by jgw - 05/26/24 06:45 PM
Yeah, Trump admits he is a pure racist
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:28 PM
Trump's base having second thoughts
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:25 PM
Watching the Supreme Court
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:07 PM
Trump: "Anti-American authoritarian wannabe
by Doug Thompson - 05/05/24 03:27 PM
Fixing/Engineer the Weather
by jgw - 05/03/24 10:52 PM
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 9 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Agnostic Politico, Jems, robertjohn, BlackCat13th, ruggedman
6,305 Registered Users
Popular Topics(Views)
10,131,417 my own book page
5,021,748 We shall overcome
4,201,042 Campaign 2016
3,796,592 Trump's Trumpet
3,019,205 3 word story game
Top Posters
pdx rick 47,292
Scoutgal 27,583
Phil Hoskins 21,134
Greger 19,831
Towanda 19,391
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
jgw 5
Kaine 1
Forum Statistics
Forums59
Topics17,091
Posts313,849
Members6,305
Most Online294
Dec 6th, 2017
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 78 of 86 1 2 76 77 78 79 80 85 86
enthusiast
enthusiast
Good read where things stand in Georgia

Prosecutors in Georgia are fast approaching a decision on whether to charge Trump. Here's how it would go down.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/prosecutors-georgia-fast-approaching-decision-140000578.html

It's high past time that we start electing Americans to congress and the presidency who put America first instead of their political party. For way too long we have been electing Republicans and Democrats who happen to be Americans instead of Americans who happen to be Republicans and Democrats.
enthusiast
enthusiast
This is a good thing.

Senate GOP rebukes Trump with Electoral Count Act

https://www.yahoo.com/news/senate-gop-rebukes-trump-electoral-110000451.html

I espcially like now it will take one fifth of the house and one fifth of the senate to challenge any states slate of electors instead of just one house member and one senate member. It also spells out the VP role is purely ceremonial. THe VP just presides over the counting of the electoral votes, that's all.

It's high past time that we start electing Americans to congress and the presidency who put America first instead of their political party. For way too long we have been electing Republicans and Democrats who happen to be Americans instead of Americans who happen to be Republicans and Democrats.
1 member likes this: Jeffery J. Haas
CHB-OG
OP Offline
CHB-OG
The Electoral Count Act also only allows a state’s governor or another designated official to submit electoral results.

Additionally, the law allows the General Services Administration to release transition funds to both candidates if neither has issued a concession five days after the election. It would, however, nix funds to the losing candidate once the result of the election was determined.

A provision of the law strikes a nearly 200-year-old law that state legislatures could use to nullify the popular vote by declaring a “failed election,” noting that the term has never been specifically defined.

Contrarian, extraordinaire

1 member likes this: perotista
CHB-OG
OP Offline
CHB-OG
Senators across the political spectrum said they want to slam the door on the notation that Pence had the authority to throw out a state’s slate of electors, which could open the door for future vice presidents to attempt to interfere with the Electoral College’s vote.

Trump argued on Truth Social, his social media platform, that the 1887 Electoral Count Act should be left the way it is “in case of Fraud.”

What I don’t like are the lies and ‘disinformation’ put out by the Democrats and RINOs. They said the vice president has ‘absolutely no choice,’ it was carved in ‘steel,’ but if he has no choice, why are they changing the law saying he has no choice?”
- Donald Trump

The sooner that orange clown expires, the sooner America will be better off.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Rick, to me this is all very weird. By that I mean the Constitution in plain English states, “The President of the senate shall, in the presence of the senate and the house of representatives, open all certificates, and the votes shall be counted.”

That seems pretty cut and dried to me. No authority to change anything or even challenge anything if one goes by the plain English the Constitution is written in. All that can be done is to count the electoral votes from each state. I realize the 1872 electoral college act was to enhance or clarify what the constitution stated. But was clarification needed? The VP or president of the senate according to the Constitution has no authority to change anything, just count. Are challenges to the certificates sent to congress constitutional by members of congress? If all that can be done is the counting, I’d say no.

The question is, am I missing something here. It all seems cut and dried. That is if one goes by what is written in the Constitution in plain English. Now I don’t speak lawyerese, so what is written in plain English may not be what lawyerese says what is written and could be something completely different that what plain English states.

It's the Despair Quotient!
Carpal Tunnel
It's the Despair Quotient!
Carpal Tunnel
The question is, would ANY of this, the attempt to refuse to certify, to set aside, even the insurrection, be allowed by Republicans if the Democrats had done it.

Would it go unpunished? Would the SCOTUS rule in favor of the "Evil Version of Joe Biden" if he stood atop the podium and announced a march to the Capitol to "stop the steal"?

I STILL see a mountain of IOKIYAR.

It's
OK
If
You
Are
Republican

"The Best of the Leon Russell Festivals" DVD
deepfreezefilms.com
1 member likes this: pdx rick
CHB-OG
OP Offline
CHB-OG
Originally Posted by perotista
Rick, to me this is all very weird. By that I mean the Constitution in plain English states, “The President of the senate shall, in the presence of the senate and the house of representatives, open all certificates, and the votes shall be counted.”

That seems pretty cut and dried to me.
Clearly some Republicans, Donald Trump especially, can't process what they read and need another interpretation of what the first statement said.

CHB-OG
OP Offline
CHB-OG
[Linked Image from uploads.disquscdn.com]

smile

enthusiast
enthusiast
Independents ended up voting for the Democrats by a 49-47 margin. Almost a wash. There was a huge difference in how independents voted for Trump chosen candidates and non-Trump chosen candidates. Some examples – New Hampshire non-Trump Sununu 57% Trump chosen Bolduc 44%. Georgia Non-Trump Kemp 54%, Trump chosen Walker 48%, Kansas non-trump Moran 60%, Trump chosen Schmidt 40%, Ohio Non-Trump chosen DeWine 63%, Trump chosen Vance 53%. Vance won, but received 10 points less votes than non-Trumper DeWine and so it goes in states where comparisons can be made. Non-Trump chosen candidates on average received 10 points, higher percentage of the vote than Trump chosen candidates which most lost.

The moral here is voters had no problem voting for non-Trumpers but drew the line in voting for Trump chosen candidates. I’ll add Alaska where Trump enemy Murkowski defeated Trump chosen Tshibaka as did Trump enemy Kemp win handily, but Trump chosen Walker lost. I would say for independents, who the candidates were mattered quite a lot.

I’ll give you credit Rick, just being an alternative to the Democrat wasn’t enough. What mattered more was whether or not the candidate was Trump chosen. Independents even if they disliked the Democrat still wouldn’t vote for a Trump chosen candidate. Georgia is a prime example of that, 56% of all Georgians disapproved of the job Warnock did, yet reelected him over Trump chosen Walker. Independents voted for Republican Kemp for governor, a Trump enemy, but voted for Warnock over Republican chosen Walker. Interesting election. Which I think proved two things, Trump is an albatross around the Republican’s neck when it comes to winning the independent vote. 2. Trump was the biggest asset this midterm that the democrats had going for them. Especially when it came to the independent vote.

What all of this explains is Non-Trump Republican candidates for the most part won the independent vote, Trump chosen Republican candidates lost the independent vote. Which makes the Republicans fools for listening to Trump and nominating his chosen candidates if they wanted to win elections. Republicans won't win elections as long as Trump is around. That's good news for the Democrats.

CHB-OG
OP Offline
CHB-OG
The ‘Red Wave’ Washout: How Skewed Polls Fed a False Election Narrative

Senator Patty Murray, a Democrat, had consistently won re-election by healthy margins in her three decades representing Washington State. This year seemed no different: By midsummer, polls showed her cruising to victory over a Republican newcomer, Tiffany Smiley, by as much as 20 percentage points.

So when a survey in late September by the Republican-leaning Trafalgar Group showed Ms. Murray clinging to a lead of just two points, it seemed like an aberration. But in October, two more Republican-leaning polls put Ms. Murray barely ahead, and a third said the race was a dead heat.

As the red and blue trend lines of the closely watched RealClearPolitics average for the contest drew closer together, news organizations reported that Ms. Murray was suddenly in a fight for her political survival. Warning lights flashed in Democratic war rooms. If Ms. Murray was in trouble, no Democrat was safe.

Ms. Murray’s own polling showed her with a comfortable lead, and a nonprofit regional news site, using an established local pollster, had her up by 13. Unwilling to take chances, however, she went on the defensive, scuttling her practice of lavishing some of her war chest — she amassed $20 million — on more vulnerable Democratic candidates elsewhere. Instead, she reaped financial help from the party’s national Senate committee and supportive super PACs — resources that would, as a result, be unavailable to other Democrats
For much of 2022, i argued with pollists that common sense tells us that the polls were inaccurate. Basing opinions and predictions solely on polling, while disregarding intuition, common sense and observation, leads to credibility issues for the pollists, in my opinion.

Naturally Rwingers were behind these false polls. The modern Rwinger will lie, cheat, in order to steal an election. They then foment an insurrection when they lose. To say that political Rwingers are emotionalluy unwell is an understatement.

As stories began to surface after the 2022 mid-term, the only voter fraud committed was by Republicans - the party that accuses Dems of voter fraud.

In psychology, there is a phenomena called projection. Projection is when someone accuses others of doing the behavior that they accuser does him/herself. Donald Trump is the most famous projectionist.

Page 78 of 86 1 2 76 77 78 79 80 85 86

Link Copied to Clipboard