WE NEED YOUR HELP! Please donate to keep ReaderRant online to serve political discussion and its members. (Blue Ridge Photography pays the bills for RR).
Current Topics
Round Table for Spring 2024
by jgw - 06/02/24 05:30 PM
2024 Election Forum
by perotista - 06/02/24 01:50 AM
A question
by jgw - 05/31/24 07:06 PM
No rubbers for Trump
by pdx rick - 05/31/24 04:30 PM
Marching in favor of Palestinians
by jgw - 05/26/24 06:45 PM
Yeah, Trump admits he is a pure racist
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:28 PM
Trump's base having second thoughts
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:25 PM
Watching the Supreme Court
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:07 PM
Trump: "Anti-American authoritarian wannabe
by Doug Thompson - 05/05/24 03:27 PM
Fixing/Engineer the Weather
by jgw - 05/03/24 10:52 PM
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 9 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Agnostic Politico, Jems, robertjohn, BlackCat13th, ruggedman
6,305 Registered Users
Popular Topics(Views)
10,131,417 my own book page
5,021,748 We shall overcome
4,201,042 Campaign 2016
3,796,592 Trump's Trumpet
3,019,205 3 word story game
Top Posters
pdx rick 47,292
Scoutgal 27,583
Phil Hoskins 21,134
Greger 19,831
Towanda 19,391
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
jgw 5
Kaine 1
Forum Statistics
Forums59
Topics17,091
Posts313,849
Members6,305
Most Online294
Dec 6th, 2017
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
jgw #346864 01/06/23 07:09 PM
enthusiast
enthusiast
This all boils down to my belief that all of this should have stayed or belonged in the legal arena, not the arena of politics. 1-6 took place after Trump left office, you can’t remove someone from the office of the presidency when he’s not longer president, just a civilian. The legal arena is for breaking laws and for justice. Let them do their job. Congress, the 1-6 committee was all about public opinion which it failed to influence. The committee was in the political arena which had no power outside of influencing public opinion. If anything is done to Trump it will be through legal channels in the legal arena, not by public opinion or in the hallowed halls of congress or by a congressional committee.

Even with Nixon, all congress could do was remove him from office. Anything in the form of justice for breaking laws had to be done in the legal arena in a court of law. Certainly, this doesn’t escape you guys. I’m left with the impression that all of you believe the 1-6 committee once they finished would throw Trump in jail and throw away the key. Public opinion remains the same as it was before the hearing. What about the DOJ, the legal arena? They’ve been busy, 800 or so charged, 400 and more either found guilty or plead guilty. They’ve been doing their job in the legal arena. Are they going to charge Trump? I have a feeling, a gut feeling that if they do charge Trump it will be for the classified documents and not for 1-6, although it could be both. If I understand this right, whether Trump will be charged for anything is in the hands of the special council. Let him do his job. Let the wheels of justice turn.

What happens to Trump is out of my hands. I have no legal say in it. I’m not out for any type of revenge either. I had my say at the ballot box. The rest is out of my hands. What happens to Trump happens. Nothing I can do about it. Why get upset? Things I can’t help or control, I don’t worry about.

It's high past time that we start electing Americans to congress and the presidency who put America first instead of their political party. For way too long we have been electing Republicans and Democrats who happen to be Americans instead of Americans who happen to be Republicans and Democrats.
jgw #346865 01/06/23 08:02 PM
CHB-OG
CHB-OG
This all boils down to my belief that all of this should have stayed or belonged in the legal arena, not the arena of politics.

What happens to Trump is out of my hands. I have no legal say in it. I’m not out for any type of revenge either. I had my say at the ballot box.
Those two statements are in conflict with each other.

Contrarian, extraordinaire

jgw #346866 01/06/23 08:31 PM
J
jgw Offline OP
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
J
I understand that there seems to be two Republican wings. The current choice in the house is showing that one. Seems that the MAGA folk are approximately 20% of the Republican house (and probably a few more that are working and keeping their heads down). There was a time when Trump ruled because, without his base, you lost. Now, obviously, that is changing (with reason).

The Republican dances will continue until they don't. Its just taking the MAGA folk longer to understand what is going on but, not unlike similiar situations, this is turning into a straight election loss or a dandy dance to display a change of heart that's acceptable.

What I am finding somewhat entertaining is the variety of dancing. Its also proving that there are a lot of Republicans that are not exactly holders of a lot of integrity which, I guess, is no longer a desire of the modern Republican (along with a couple other attributes that used to mean something.

What happens to Trump is in the hands of the law. Everybody wonders but nobody is really sure and there are mysteries! Puzzles and Stories! Entertainment galore!

Last edited by jgw; 01/06/23 08:33 PM.
jgw #346867 01/07/23 01:21 AM
enthusiast
enthusiast
Jgw, what the MAGA house members want is a puppet speaker. With all the concessions and caving McCarthy has done, given them, that is exactly what they’ll have. Do what MAGA wants or one or more will call for a no confidence vote in McCarthy. I haven’t the faintest idea how that would work, if the no confidence vote would be Republicans only in their caucus or if it would include the entire house. But all it takes is one member to call for a no confidence vote.

And yes, whatever happens to Trump is now in the hands of the legal arena or the law. I’m satisfied with that. I’m of the opinion or belief that this is where all of this belonged all the time instead of trying to make it a political issue. That’s all water under the bridge now, time to move on.

It's high past time that we start electing Americans to congress and the presidency who put America first instead of their political party. For way too long we have been electing Republicans and Democrats who happen to be Americans instead of Americans who happen to be Republicans and Democrats.
jgw #346874 01/07/23 06:37 PM
J
jgw Offline OP
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
J
The MAGA folks are, by definition, Trumpies. They all have to prove this by behaving as Trumpies are expected to do. They are doing this in the face of the fact that Mr Trump seems to be losing parts of his base and TV seems to be tiring of him. The house megas have two years to either clean up their acts or follow their leader through, perhaps, a serious legal time whilst losing base support. This is going to be very interesting! Will they display utter support for the Loser or take care of #1? This is where, they say, the rubber hits the road. Given what Trump does I would be on them taking care of #1 but i am also wrong now and then. On the other hand they can just work very hard, yelling and screaming and Trumping and attacking the Dems for EVERYTHING, just to make sure they will never be elected again.

I am basing this on my belief that the DOJ is serious, has 2 years to get it right and have at it, and that will be, exactly, what they are working on and which will come to pass.

1 member likes this: pdx rick
jgw #346875 01/07/23 07:39 PM
enthusiast
enthusiast
Except for a very few, for most politicians, self-preservation is always number one. These MAGA Trumpers are no exception. The problem is most of the MAGA Trumpers are from safe districts. 179 republican house seats are rated safe. All that is needed to win reelection is the R behind their name. For the general election anyway. Now the Republican primaries might be different especially if Trump is hauled into court and found guilty. Most of the Republican MAGA house members will have to be primaried out or they’re guaranteed reelection. That’s what being from a safe district means. You’ll always have those who will support Trump no matter what. Prime example is on the day Nixon resigned he still had the support of 50% of all Republicans or the GOP base.

The bottom line is that these 90 or so Trump MAGA Republican house members will continue to yell and scream at Democrats blaming them for everything. Unless some of these 90 or so Trump MAGA Republicans lose in the GOP primary to a saner Republican candidate, they will be reelected because they’re from safe districts for Republicans. This last midterm there was 61 competitive, at risk, switchable districts, the rest were drawn to make sure one party or the other would win them. In other words, 374 districts were already decided before the first vote was cast.

jgw #346877 01/08/23 12:50 AM
CHB-OG
CHB-OG
Originally Posted by jgw
The MAGA folks are, by definition, Trumpies.
MAGAts by definition are TBaggers. TBaggers are Birchers. Same folks, different names. smile

1 member likes this: Jeffery J. Haas
pdx rick #346930 01/12/23 09:04 PM
J
jgw Offline OP
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
J
They are, also, not real good thinkers. I have seen the folks who stand behind Trump at his rallies. Most are either retired or close to it. They depend of Social Security and Medicare and most have been paying into them for a very long time. The Republicans are VERY proud of their plan to do away with both.

They are not real good thinkers............ (one could go on and on with this but I won't do that)

jgw #346933 01/13/23 11:44 AM
enthusiast
enthusiast
Paul Ryan, the Ex-Republican Speaker of the House is now saying the same thing I’ve been saying all along.

Former House Speaker Paul Ryan (R-Wis.) says his party is done with Donald Trump.

“He’s fading fast,” he said Thursday on CNN. ”He’s a proven loser who cost us the House in ’18, he cost us the White House in ’20, he cost us the Senate again and again, and I think we all know that.”

https://www.yahoo.com/news/paul-ryan-delivers-ominous-prediction-043518959.html

jgw #346985 01/24/23 11:38 AM
CHB-OG
CHB-OG
Per the Atlanta Journal-Constitution, Trump's GA lawyers posted the following statement:

"On behalf of President Trump, we will not be present nor participating in Tuesday's hearing regarding the possible release of the special purpose grand jury's report. To date, we have never been a part of this process. The grand jury compelled the testimony of dozens of other, often high-ranking, officials during the investigation, but never found it important to speak with the President. He was never subpoenaed nor asked to come in voluntarily by this grand jury or anyone in the Fulton County District Attorney's Office. Therefore, we can assume that the grand jury did their job and looked at the facts and the law, as we have, and concluded there were no violations of the law by President Trump."

Trump will be given the opportunity to testify at his trial.

And Trump’s idiot lawyers might want to learn why the targets of an investigation usually aren't interviewed by a grand jury - they can ask John Gotti and his lawyers. laugh

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard