WE NEED YOUR HELP! Please donate to keep ReaderRant online to serve political discussion and its members. (Blue Ridge Photography pays the bills for RR).
Current Topics
Round Table for Spring 2024
by jgw - 06/02/24 05:30 PM
2024 Election Forum
by perotista - 06/02/24 01:50 AM
A question
by jgw - 05/31/24 07:06 PM
No rubbers for Trump
by pdx rick - 05/31/24 04:30 PM
Marching in favor of Palestinians
by jgw - 05/26/24 06:45 PM
Yeah, Trump admits he is a pure racist
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:28 PM
Trump's base having second thoughts
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:25 PM
Watching the Supreme Court
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:07 PM
Trump: "Anti-American authoritarian wannabe
by Doug Thompson - 05/05/24 03:27 PM
Fixing/Engineer the Weather
by jgw - 05/03/24 10:52 PM
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 127 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Agnostic Politico, Jems, robertjohn, BlackCat13th, ruggedman
6,305 Registered Users
Popular Topics(Views)
10,136,442 my own book page
5,021,849 We shall overcome
4,202,335 Campaign 2016
3,797,732 Trump's Trumpet
3,019,804 3 word story game
Top Posters
pdx rick 47,292
Scoutgal 27,583
Phil Hoskins 21,134
Greger 19,831
Towanda 19,391
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
jgw 5
Kaine 1
Forum Statistics
Forums59
Topics17,091
Posts313,849
Members6,305
Most Online294
Dec 6th, 2017
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
enthusiast
Online Content
enthusiast
I tend to view happenings, events, issues, candidates, politicians through the eyes of election perspectives. Trump has been at his best helping democrats win elections in 2018,2020 and 2022. If around for 2024, I’m positive Trump will do all he can to help the Democrats once more. I believe without Trump and his choices of very poor-quality candidates that many independents viewed as extreme, that red wave probably would have happened. I view Trump as the best election winning asset the Democrats have going for them. There’s no danger of Trump ever winning another election; hence I place Trump into the has been category. Yes, trump still has power within the republican party, but that power is also working in the Democrats favor.

What the Democrats in my humble opinion need to worry more about than Trump, is someone on Trump’s enemies list or some non-Trump chosen MAGA candidate winning the GOP nomination. Examples may be DeSantis who’s on Trump enemies list, at least his name calling list, a big plus for winning the independent vote. Independents view DeSantis positively, then there’s my governor, Kemp, New Hampshire’s governor Sununu, Ohio’s DeWine, all viewed positive by independents. By positive, I mean their favorable is higher than their unfavorable. Election wise, I’d be a heck of a lot more worried by the examples I cited than Trump. If I were a democrat, I be hoping Trump is the GOP’s presidential candidate or the republicans go with a Trump chosen candidate considering the likes Walker, Oz, Lake, Masters, Cox, Diehl, Bolduc, Laxalt, Tshibaka, Mastriano and more who all lost because they were viewed too extreme by independents .

Oh, you’re correct, somehow the Democrats last midterm made the election more about Trump than about Biden and company. Kudos to the Democrats.

It's high past time that we start electing Americans to congress and the presidency who put America first instead of their political party. For way too long we have been electing Republicans and Democrats who happen to be Americans instead of Americans who happen to be Republicans and Democrats.
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I admit that I have mixed feelings about Biden being elected to another term, even as I think it is likely. Seriously, I do.

I was inspired by Nancy Pelosi convincing her deputies to retire at the same time, and turning the reins over to the next generation. I think Biden is likely to do that as well, but only after reelection. There is a huge advantage to incumbency, and the Republicans are daily providing a contrast between his getting things done and their wallowing in the gutter.

He is becoming frailer, it is apparent. But, he still has the wherewithal to hire well, push in the right direction, and negotiate for results. Who else can claim those qualities that is waiting in the wings?

A well reasoned argument is like a diamond: impervious to corruption and crystal clear - and infinitely rarer.

Here, as elsewhere, people are outraged at what feels like a rigged game -- an economy that won't respond, a democracy that won't listen, and a financial sector that holds all the cards. - Robert Reich
enthusiast
Online Content
enthusiast
I think there’s plenty of talent waiting in the wings. If I were a democrat, I’d use it and not wait for 4 years. It’s Biden’s choice though, retire or keep pushing. I doubt anyone will challenge Biden if he does decide to run for reelection. History hasn’t been kind to sitting presidents that were challenged within their own party. Of the five sitting presidents who were challenged, their party lost all five general elections. Truman challenged by Kefauver and LBJ challenged by McCarthy decided not to run, IKE and Nixon won. Ford by Reagan, Carter by Ted Kennedy, G.H.W. Bush by Buchanan all lost in the general election, Ford to Carter, Carter to Reagan, G.H.W. Bush to Bill Clinton.

A Biden vs. Trump has them basically tied today.

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2024/president/us/general-election-trump-vs-biden-7383.html

I’d be leery about that same matchup; most Americans don’t want it. Only 28% of all Americans want Biden to run again, 33% want Trump to run again. Of Course, all these numbers are dynamic and change constantly. But for over a year now, well over 50% of all Americans don’t want neither one to run again. That is consistency. I’d expect Biden to win again as among independents Biden isn’t disliked as a person while they very disappointed in the job Biden has done, giving Biden a very high job disapproval. Whereas Trump is disliked as a person. That is an important distinction as history has shown folks usually won’t vote for someone they dislike.

It's high past time that we start electing Americans to congress and the presidency who put America first instead of their political party. For way too long we have been electing Republicans and Democrats who happen to be Americans instead of Americans who happen to be Republicans and Democrats.
J
jgw Online Content
old hand
Online Content
old hand
J
If he runs that old the job will kill him before he can finish. His walk is getting a bit iffy and that's just for starters. All the old guy signs are there. It will be a bad mistake but I expect him to do it anyway. So far he has been able to get a lot of stuff done and wants to keep on going. I can understand that but.........

It's the Despair Quotient!
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Originally Posted by jgw
If he runs that old the job will kill him before he can finish. His walk is getting a bit iffy and that's just for starters. All the old guy signs are there. It will be a bad mistake but I expect him to do it anyway. So far he has been able to get a lot of stuff done and wants to keep on going. I can understand that but.........

Civilian life does not exist for Biden anymore.
It's not like he can just go back to being Friendly Joe, not the way Obama was able to go back to just being Barack.
For instance, Joe Biden is a motorhead but he will NEVER EVER be allowed to just hop in his dark green Corvette and go for a cruise, something he used to enjoy doing very much.

So you almost can't blame him for being resigned to the idea that he may very well "die at his desk" the way FDR did.

"The Best of the Leon Russell Festivals" DVD
deepfreezefilms.com
enthusiast
Online Content
enthusiast
Civilian life may not exist for many of us depending on one’s definition of civilian life. 21 years active duty, another 26 working for the army as a department of the army civilian. Then in retirement my friends and neighbors where I live are all either retired military, dependents of the military or those who worked as a contractor for the military. To me a civilian is someone who’s not in the military, not on active duty. I became a civilian when I retired from active duty back in Sep 1986. I imagine a policeman would look at a civilian as being someone not in the police and so on. To me politicians are civilians. They don’t don a uniform.

For jgw, it’s Biden’s choice. I’d prefer he announce his retirement sometime later this year and turn the reins over to a younger generation. I’m not talking old foggies like Warren and Sanders or those who ran before. A fresh, young face. The talent is there between governors and younger senators. But my druthers mean nothing in the grand scheme of things.

K
enthusiast
enthusiast
K
Originally Posted by jgw
If he runs that old the job will kill him before he can finish.
I have to wonder if he in fact wants to pass while in office. That would be a mark in history forever. So, I too think he will run again. Personally, I prefer if he wouldn't.

Good doesn't always win!
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Originally Posted by Kaine
Originally Posted by jgw
If he runs that old the job will kill him before he can finish.
I have to wonder if he in fact wants to pass while in office. That would be a mark in history forever. So, I too think he will run again. Personally, I prefer if he wouldn't.

All I can say is, once you've been President, you will never ever return to the same civilian life you had prior.
Back before WW2, perhaps it was possible. But ever since the Kennedy assassination we are forced to reckon with the issue of security, and ex-presidents did not have Secret Service protection after leaving office until 1965.

There is a return of SOME kind of semblance of "private" life but every waking hour is now covered by security concerns. An ex-president can't drive, go alone on a fishing trip, stop by the local hardware store, frolic at the beach; literally anything and everything that they do in the outside world now has to be logistically planned and mapped out.

The truth is, there is no private life for an ex-prez.

deepfreezefilms.com
CHB-OG
CHB-OG
Originally Posted by Jeffery J. Haas
There is at least some private life - enough to be able to scuttle classified docs back and forth between the pool house and the private residence.

Contrarian, extraordinaire

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Originally Posted by pdx rick
Originally Posted by Jeffery J. Haas
There is at least some private life - enough to be able to scuttle classified docs back and forth between the pool house and the private residence.

And that's pretty much all of it.

deepfreezefilms.com
1 member likes this: pdx rick
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard