WE NEED YOUR HELP! Please donate to keep ReaderRant online to serve political discussion and its members. (Blue Ridge Photography pays the bills for RR).
Current Topics
2024 Election Forum
by pdx rick - 09/21/24 11:42 PM
Round Table for Summer 2024
by Kaine - 09/18/24 01:01 PM
Media and Politics
by jgw - 09/12/24 05:45 PM
Religion in tax supported schools
by jgw - 09/10/24 08:58 PM
Demented Trump and an American hell-hole
by pdx rick - 09/08/24 09:07 AM
A tough election with a simple conclusion
by rporter314 - 09/06/24 04:44 PM
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 6 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Agnostic Politico, Jems, robertjohn, BlackCat13th, ruggedman
6,305 Registered Users
Popular Topics(Views)
10,239,142 my own book page
5,043,792 We shall overcome
4,233,444 Campaign 2016
3,840,387 Trump's Trumpet
3,040,210 3 word story game
Top Posters
pdx rick 47,371
Scoutgal 27,583
Phil Hoskins 21,134
Greger 19,831
Towanda 19,391
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
Forum Statistics
Forums59
Topics17,113
Posts314,206
Members6,305
Most Online294
Dec 6th, 2017
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 26 of 38 1 2 24 25 26 27 28 37 38
It's the Despair Quotient!
Carpal Tunnel
It's the Despair Quotient!
Carpal Tunnel
Originally Posted by perotista
Originally Posted by Jeffery J. Haas
Originally Posted by perotista
The rest of your post brings back memories of 2016. When Clinton basically stayed hid while Trump was out front in the news basically 24/7.

Do you seriously not realize that's being underwritten?
I think it boils down to that old political adage, candidates’ matter. Today, billions are spent on elections, democrats over the last few election have spent more of those billions than republicans.
2016 https://www.bloomberg.com/politics/graphics/2016-presidential-campaign-fundraising/
2020 https://www.opensecrets.org/2020-presidential-race
2024 so far, the money race is relatively even. But the campaign season hasn’t even started. https://www.opensecrets.org/2024-presidential-race

If you count all political offices, elections for 2020, huge money advantage democrats - https://www.opensecrets.org/news/2020/10/cost-of-2020-election-14billion-update/

Here’s the list of 2022 biggest money donors.

https://www.opensecrets.org/elections-overview/biggest-donors?cycle=2022&view=om

"The US created a system whereby the media relies on corporations to earn a living. As a result, if you’re part of that system, you have one of two choices. You can go to extremes, and thereby gain a target audience for some of the advertisers. Or you can become part of the mainstream media and express no opinion whatsoever. Think about it. If someone in the mainstream media expresses an opinion, they risk losing half their audience."

https://www.facebook.com/dan.parker...AcFdyB3Hb5KGeUgeseyNsztGpbZbtsivF9LmHdGl

"The Best of the Leon Russell Festivals" DVD
deepfreezefilms.com
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
Jeffrey, I know Trump got a lot of free media exposure Clinton didn’t in 2016. That was because of his outrageousness and that he believed in that old showman’s adage. That there’s no such thing as bad publicity, no publicity is bad. A lot of Trump’s coverage was portraying him in a bad light for his outrageousness and stupid things he said and did. But it kept him in the spotlight along with forcing Clinton’s coverage much later in the news report. Sort of a front page vs. back page coverage. The thing is Trump outrageousness drew in viewership whereas Clinton’s more normal demeanor was in the boring category where folks didn’t tune her in. That outrageousness paid off in 2016.

Clinton on the other hand ran a very inept campaign, hid from the media for the most part, relying on paid advertisements whereas Trump’s got his exposure for free. One can’t overlook the fact Hillary let Trump both outwork and out campaign her. 117 campaign rallies, visits, stops for Trump, only 71 for Clinton which looks larger than it actually was. That 71 included fund raisers in deep blue California and New York. Clinton racked in the money; one could call her money savvy. Trump was much more media savvy. Trump was always busy calling into every morning TV talk show whether they were for or against him. Clinton appeared on The View a couple of times and that was basically it. She only went on programs 100% for her. There’s much more. Something happened to Hillary between the primaries and the general election. In the primaries she was aggressive, a go getter. But became laid back as if she thought the presidency was hers without having to work for it. Without giving it the old college try. What that was or what happened to her I don’t know. Perhaps she thought Sanders was the bigger threat to her gaining the presidency than Trump. That once she defeated Sanders, she had the presidency in the bag. I don’t know as that is pure speculation. All I know is the get up and go she had displayed during primaries got up and left her during the general election.

She had a 7-point lead in the polls at the begining of the campaign season, 1 September which shrunk to 3 point in November. She won the popular vote by 2.1 points. She made no campaign visit to Wisconsin, only one to Michigan, 5 to Pennsylvania. Whereas Trump made 5 to Wisconsin, 6 to Michigan and 8 to Pennsylvania. The 5 to Pennsylvania includes an election eve visit to Pittsburgh. Even in electoral rich Florida, she let Trump outwork and out campaign her there 13 visits, rallies to 8 for Clinton.

I’d say Clinton lost because she became lazy, not because of the media or free airtime. Had Hillary worked as hard as she did to get the democratic nomination in the general election, she'd have won the presidency. For whatever reason she didn't, she became lazy.

It's high past time that we start electing Americans to congress and the presidency who put America first instead of their political party. For way too long we have been electing Republicans and Democrats who happen to be Americans instead of Americans who happen to be Republicans and Democrats.
1 member likes this: jgw
J
jgw Offline
old hand
old hand
J
What drives it down is Biden's apparent inability to toot his own horn more than, maybe, once a month to a group under 12 people. Trump does it every day and media is delighted to make sure everybody sees him. Trump also tells everybody that they are getting screwed - EVERY day! They believe him because he is the only person telling it as, they believe, it is. Never forget, the American voting public is not, everything considered, particularly bright when it comes to their own best interests. They would, evidently, trust a lying piece of (you know) because he is, basically, the only one that will tell them anything! (there is a reason I whine a lot about Biden, as you know. Its interesting, you do too but you are a lot more kind and tend to do it with numbers but it all is the same thing in the end and both of us are (along with anybody else with thoughts), pretty much, ignored by the Dems who have more important stuff to talk about (not necessarily do anything))

Its really unfortunate, makes no sense, is frustrating, and, as far as I am concerned makes no sense. I suspect there are lots of folks that wish Biden would step up to the plate but its not gonna happen. A lot of those folks are now working at setting Biden to one side, not because he is a bad president, its because he just doesn't want, along with the Dems, to actually understand that its their job to win and they all seem to have something better to do. There seems to be a lot of the money folks who, it they do not change their ways are not gonna see any of their money go away for nothing.

Its just another strange thing, really. The Dems are spending a LOT of money! The problem seems to be is that it seems to be a waste than actually doing something. I am in Washington state. My wife tells me that she actually sees Democratic ads but I have yet to see one. I don't watch TV during the day, however, and she does. She also says that they are very short (I have no idea never having seen one). Since Washington is, pretty much, Democratic state perhaps the Dems are currently doing the same losing thing that another Dem, who ran against Trump did. Which was, basically ignore those thought to be supporters and needed no support. Remember, Trump speaks to EVERYBODY, every freaking day. The Dems? No so much as far as I can tell.

Last edited by jgw; 07/08/24 06:23 PM.
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
If one paid attention to the numbers, how all Americans viewed Biden, one would have known as early as September 2021 that if Biden ran for reelection, he’d be in trouble. September 2021 was when more than half of all Americans began to view Biden in an unfavorable manner. That’s when Biden unfavorable rose above 50% of all Americans where it has stayed ever since with 57% of all Americans having an unfavorable or negative view of Biden today.

https://www.realclearpolling.com/polls/favorability/joe-biden

You can equate that to the number or percentage of those Americans who don’t want Biden reelected. In fact, at the beginning of May 59% of all Americans didn’t want Biden to run for reelection. I haven't seen a more recent poll since then that asked the same question. Unfavorable and don’t run track with each other.

https://d3nkl3psvxxpe9.cloudfront.net/documents/econTabReport_0NJUiMQ.pdf

Biden I think is too laidback and perhaps a bit timid in his old age to take full charge of his reelection and tell those dems who want him to step aside to go to hell, kind of Harry Trumanesque. A younger Biden, a then Senator Biden would have done so. But that was a 20-year younger Biden. He’s mellowed with age it seems. Maybe Biden doesn’t have that fire in the belly anymore. Perhaps what Biden needs to do is take 5 minutes of the daily press conference away from his press secretary and tell everyone these are the lies Trump told yesterday. The press would eat it up. He sure would get the media’s attention along with plenty attention from the media.

I'll add, a lot of those who voted for Biden in 2020 but aren't planning on doing so today, viewed Biden as a transition president. A fill in president between Trump and whoever came next. For them, Biden wasn't suppose to run for reelection, he was suppose to step aside and let someone younger, a fresher face run this year.

Last edited by perotista; 07/09/24 10:46 AM.

It's high past time that we start electing Americans to congress and the presidency who put America first instead of their political party. For way too long we have been electing Republicans and Democrats who happen to be Americans instead of Americans who happen to be Republicans and Democrats.
J
jgw Offline
old hand
old hand
J
I think that Biden is simply running against somebody who entertains and appears with regularity. On the other hand Biden does not entertain nor does he appear with regularity. He is, I think, moving around and talking to people but there is no TV camera there. Trump, on the other hand, seems to have a TV camera there at all times (I wonder if he does that on his own and then offer the results to anybody who wants it).

Anyway, Biden is, as I have said, really Biden the secret man. Doesn't talk publically much and apparently has little to say. That, I think, is what sets me off. I also suspect that I am not alone on this one. I watched a Washington state congressman (senator I think) talk about why he wants him to stop and he agrees with me but, being a real politician, he did it with a lot more vim, vigor, knowledge, reason and understanding.

Another problem is that I really want the Democrats to win the next election. Maybe Biden can win and maybe he can't. I would prefer that somebody was running who doesn't mind talking to others, in front of a camera, and explains things that are going on so everybody understand where, exactly, he stands. Biden just doesn't. There also seems a lot that want the Vice President to step in and run in his place. I am not really sure about that one either but it would probably be better than Biden. There are a lot of others as well and they all seem dandy to me. I have a favorite but would setting on any of them. Trump does not want Biden to NOT run and has made that pretty clear. Basically the Republicans seem to agree with a lot of Democrats that biden will lose as well.

Oh, Harry Truman - I think he was a president that didn't sign up to be president a last time. Interesting you mentioned him.

I just don't know how this is all going to play out. Apparently Biden controls all the money? I don't think anything will be done until the convention takes place. Not even sure that is true but I hopefully it will. There are a lot of people who agree with Biden on this one so one can, at least, hope?

Thought I should mention that Biden is REALLY getting hammered now. I wonder how long it gonna take him to understand that few want him to run and less every day!! WHAT A MESS!

Last edited by jgw; 07/10/24 08:36 PM.
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
Today, Harris is seen less favorably than either Biden or Trump.

https://www.realclearpolling.com/polls/favorability/political-leaders

I do agree she would add vim and vigor as you say, energy, enthusiasm as I say to the campaign. Harris also has the advantage that she would inherit all the money Biden has raised so for whereas another candidate, that money wouldn’t be available to them. It’s the Biden/Harris campaign fund and must be used by that campaign. That would leave someone like Newsom, Whitmer or whoever starting from scratch. Although whoever it is, would inherit Biden’s campaign organization and structure.

Biden’s problem is that he’s losing independents to Trump 35-30 whereas he won independents in 2020 54-41 over Trump. 18% of independents are as of today planning on voting third party against both Trump and Biden with 17% undecided. Only 5% of independents voted third party in 2020.

https://www.realclearpolling.com/po...ump-vs-biden-vs-kennedy-vs-west-vs-stein

Could Harris turn independents around? Only 25% of independents have a favorable view of Harris, the identical percentage that Biden has compared to 35% for Trump. This explains Trump’s lead among independents. This is as of today.

https://d3nkl3psvxxpe9.cloudfront.net/documents/econTabReport_RptTnGc.pdf

The 35% favorable for Trump shows independents don’t like him much. Now a vigorous, energetic, Harris might be able to raise her percentage to top Trump’s. A laidback, unenthusiastic, frail looking Biden can’t. Harris could have that fire in the belly needed, that Biden seems to lack.

J
jgw Offline
old hand
old hand
J
I had a dream. Biden, today, said he would be willing to have Harris be the next president and he would do all he could to make sure that was going to happen. She has already been hammering Trump and seems to really like doing that. Biden should be the one doing that if he really wants to win but, then, we all understand that may be the problem. Its interesting, she is the ONLY one, from the presidency that's actually trying to win!

I think that she can whip Trump. Since Biden won't be trying to be president he might actually get off the ancient butt and try to win for the Democrats! (I know, I'm older than Biden)

I mentioned my dream because there seems to be a lot of psychics appearing around town, and advertised on the radio, etc. Those I have asked about this one says they have noticed that they seem to be coming out of the woodwork as well. I wonder who they are telling folks is going to win the election! Seems about right, I guess those with wisdom and know how things are now are starting to find out the facts from even more somewhat questionable political advisors. Makes one almost tremble in awe!!

Last edited by jgw; 07/11/24 04:00 PM.
J
jgw Offline
old hand
old hand
J
I am curious. I wonder if anybody here is demented and taking medicine and, if so, which one. There are quite a few in the current crop. I, for instance, am currently taking one called DONEPEZIL HCL 10MG TAB (half a tablet). I have been using it for almost 3 weeks, no changes in either direction. This is supplied by the VA. I had it for about a week before I started. I have been told that after I do the first pills the prescription will change. I checked what could happen and talked to another doctor before I started (cowardice on my part). This, and most of the others, have some pretty bad stuff if things go bad. Kinda scary. I also am aware that there are, literally, millions of science folks working on this one (obviously lots of demented going down).

Anyway, just curious about anybody else and what they are taking, etc. Just being nosy. I also have faith. In my life, so far, I have seen a LOT of problems that are getting fixed (in spite of the Trump anti medical stuff and lies). My faith hopes they can fix this one too (while I can still remember my name). In the meantime I am getting really expert and finding out pretty simple thing by asking my computer things. A current one was "people who claim to understand government and give advise are called ? " for instance (it was answered). I have now actually trained myself to remember the word "demential" (basically demon + 'cha") and that took a week. One of my problems is that specific words will go away and it bothers me a LOT.

Anyway, just keep hoping for "The Pill" (or what ever else will do the job) - just asking..............

I think I should have put this in another place. My bad - apologies.........

Last edited by jgw; 07/13/24 05:43 PM.
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
Pew Research has very good research paper 7 pages on 7 different election categories all can be accessed at the bottom of the page by clicking on either the page number or next page. An in-depth research paper if one wants to know how all of America are viewing this election. Some excerpts.

Majorities of voters describe both Biden and Trump as “embarrassing,” with identical shares (63% each) saying this about each candidate. A third or more of each candidate’s supporters – 37% of Biden supporters and 33% of Trump supporters – say their own candidate is embarrassing. (Read more about views of the candidates in Chapter 2.)

A narrow majority of voters (53%) say they would replace both Biden and Trump with different candidates if they had the ability to decide the major party candidates for the 2024 presidential election. The share saying this is up slightly from the 49% of voters who said this in April.

About four-in-ten Americans have a favorable opinion of the Republican Party (39%) and the Democratic Party (38%). By comparison, roughly six-in-ten have an unfavorable opinion of each party (58% Republican; 60% Democratic).

https://www.pewresearch.org/politic...sharpness-trump-leads-presidential-race/

I wanted to carry the negative view most of Americans have about both major parties farther. Pew Research didn’t carry this back to 2006, but that year is important as that was when 30% of the electorate were identified as independents. Today, according to Gallup which keeps track of these things, 25% of all Americans identify themselves as Republicans, 23% as democrats, a whopping 51% now say they’re independents. In 2006 these numbers were 31% republican, 36% democrat, 30% independents. I would say having two disliked and unwanted major party candidates certainly contributed to the rise in independents along with the lack of enthusiasm in voting for the presidency this year.

https://news.gallup.com/poll/15370/party-affiliation.aspx

J
jgw Offline
old hand
old hand
J
A different take on the Biden thing:

In the last couple of days I have watched Biden actually speaking into tv cameras. Now, if he can do this a minimum of 2 times a week, with vim and vigor, he just might be able to get the job done and return for the last Biden presidency. The question now becomes whether he can get it done or not. We will see and, I suspect, everybody will be hoping as well. It also seems, so far, that he is not going after Trump with any vigor. On the other hand the Vice President has been doing that for several weeks with vigor. Its really pretty interesting. I have been hammering Biden for over a year to get off the dime. Now he has done that and done it well. I suspect, given how he has done that those (including me) are going to have to back off because it doesn't look like a replacement is going to take place and its time to get on board even if you have problems we really do have to deal with what we got as there doesn't seem to be a chance otherwise.

Then I started thinking. Perhaps Biden and his vice president, can work in tandem. Biden does what he does best and, occasionally, goes after Trump and, either case, he appears a minimum of 2 times a week (a lot better than once every 4 months!!). Harris goes after Trump and, sometimes doesn't. If Biden fails along the way Harris steps in. Biden thinks she has the stuff and, I suspect, she does. Not only that but, between the both of them just perhaps, they can get the interest of the voting public if they keep their stuff current and interesting and, so far, they have been. This just might work! People want to see and hear them that would tell them what to do. This is what Biden screwed up. Now its time for him to get after the job that needs doing and sticks with it.

This is not easy for me. I have been hammering Biden for at least a year because he simply was not helping himself, or the nation, in so far as the election is concerned. Now, hopefully, that will change. We will see. So far I have been winning virtually nothing, going in circles, and hoping for some solution and, perhaps we have one that people can get behind. The trick, of course, is that they both work their butts off proving themselves. Not, I suspect, easy or even fair but necessary.

One can have hope? If they do this I suspect poll stats will change and we WILL be told! We will, of course, learn in the fullness of time (couldn't resist)

Page 26 of 38 1 2 24 25 26 27 28 37 38

Link Copied to Clipboard