WE NEED YOUR HELP! Please donate to keep ReaderRant online to serve political discussion and its members. (Blue Ridge Photography pays the bills for RR).
Current Topics
Has CNN made a right turn?
by Jeffery J. Haas - 10/13/24 07:54 PM
2024 Election Forum
by pdx rick - 10/13/24 03:14 PM
Round Table for Fall 2024
by pdx rick - 10/12/24 03:46 PM
What happens if Trump actually does it?
by rporter314 - 10/11/24 11:11 PM
The thing about Israel and Netanyahu
by jgw - 10/02/24 06:39 PM
The Trump Media Scam
by jgw - 09/26/24 11:37 PM
Joe Biden's heartfelt 'Good-bye' speech to the U.N.
by pdx rick - 09/24/24 06:53 PM
Round Table for Summer 2024
by Kaine - 09/18/24 01:01 PM
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 6 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Agnostic Politico, Jems, robertjohn, BlackCat13th, ruggedman
6,305 Registered Users
Popular Topics(Views)
10,240,277 my own book page
5,044,319 We shall overcome
4,234,483 Campaign 2016
3,841,011 Trump's Trumpet
3,040,846 3 word story game
Top Posters
pdx rick 47,379
Scoutgal 27,583
Phil Hoskins 21,134
Greger 19,831
Towanda 19,391
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
Kaine 1
Forum Statistics
Forums59
Topics17,119
Posts314,243
Members6,305
Most Online294
Dec 6th, 2017
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
J
jgw Offline OP
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
J
This one is a bit strange. Yesterday or the day before Microsoft software blue and too a LOT of stuff along with it. Almost a year ago the VA decided to change their stuff for, as far as I could tell (and I asked questions) no really good reasons. A couple places I do business have 'fixed' things in their software and are no longer really working. This is just stuff that I have noticed. I suspect anybody paying attention has also been noticing some of this going on.

First the AI. About a year ago I went to a site I goto every now and then to see what they got going on. I currently forget their name but I think I saw they were starting to also sell stock in their site. Anyway, they had one place that had no fewer than 100 AI (artificial intelligence) programs that anybody could go onto and play with. I spent a little bit of time doing that just to see what was going on. One thing I learned was that this stuff was going to take over a LOT of stuff now being taken care of by humans. I have also come to the conclusion that we are very close to being able to buy an AI running computer that walks, talks, and does things just like you run of the mill (and probably better) programmer. Oh, I have spent many years programming (now too old with dementia to really do much of it anymore) China, for instance, is now actually selling an AI program which will allow you to talk to and see your dead ones amongst other things (no kidding!). The Microsoft thing is also interesting. I gave up on them several years ago and moved to linux (ubuntu) because it is free and, to my way of thinking, better to play with than microsoft) Anyway, Microsoft spent, I think, something like a billion dollars going on in on AI. I am also pretty sure that the AI had a lot to do with what happened (all sorts of businesses when down; airlines, stores, LOTS of stuff!) because they were using a program that was built to NOT do what happened.

Here is the deal. There are, more and more programmers losing their jobs to AI. Not only that but they need work. Some can sell themselves better than others. Several have gone into businesses to 'fix' things computer wise. The problem is twofold. The first thing is that stuff that is working just fine is getting 'fixed' and now isn't working so well. I kinda blame that one on management because they got bamboozled right off the bat. The person who did the fixing did everything but actually test everything to infinity before he/she really checked their own work. Then there is the AI. That stuff is really great to play with, Amazon is spending something like a billion dollars to create robots to replace humans all over the place, etc. I expect that a lot of this stuff is going to keep on working before management learns to, first, understand that if they have something that works just leave it alone. Give the whole thing at least another year before things calm down. I know, unlikely, but still....... If they do 'fix' something get somebody, other than the people who did the job, to test the results to infinity. These two rules will save a lot of time and money I think.

That's pretty much it. I should also mention that I am, certainly, not a real expert on this stuff. I have little backing on my statements except its how I feel about it, or experienced some of it, rather than proving it all. I just thought it might be a good idea to send out a warning - just in case. I also am interested if anybody else has noticed any of this stuff. Oh, one other thing. The recent disaster was caused by one company, Microsoft. Think on this just a bit. One software company! Anybody have any idea just how many software companies there are? Millions!!! Kinda something to think about, I suspect.

It's the Despair Quotient!
Carpal Tunnel
It's the Despair Quotient!
Carpal Tunnel
It was Crowdstrike, not Microsoft.
Crowdstrike sent out a half baked update TO Microsoft based systems. Microsoft didn't do it, Crowdstrike did.

"The Best of the Leon Russell Festivals" DVD
deepfreezefilms.com
J
jgw Offline OP
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
J
I realize that but, Microsoft sold it for their system. Apparently its not easy to get rid of in Microsoft once installed. For the last few days Microsoft and Crowdstrike have been claiming its all fixed - its not. If anybody thinks it is just goto the local airport and see how things are running. Alaska air never joined the crowd and they are, I think, close to the only ones who didn't (thought that too was interesting) I am blaming Microsoft for this one and Crowdstrike too is responsible but it the both of them and Microsoft is the source. Not only that but, I suspect, Microsoft actually tested everything before they sold it but screwed up there too.

Its really strange. I have friends who gave me hell for saying such a mean thing about Microsoft. How about this. You buy a new car and its dangerous, doesn't run well, etc. Do you go directly to the manufacturer? I suspect you go to the guy who sold you the car.

Oh, my wife, who uses Microsoft, was offered it and she declined - she, obviously, did the right thing.

Last edited by jgw; 07/21/24 04:35 PM.

Link Copied to Clipboard