WE NEED YOUR HELP! Please donate to keep ReaderRant online to serve political discussion and its members. (Blue Ridge Photography pays the bills for RR).
Current Topics
What happens if Trump actually does it?
by perotista - 10/03/24 07:09 PM
The thing about Israel and Netanyahu
by jgw - 10/02/24 06:39 PM
The Trump Media Scam
by jgw - 09/26/24 11:37 PM
2024 Election Forum
by perotista - 09/25/24 12:10 PM
Joe Biden's heartfelt 'Good-bye' speech to the U.N.
by pdx rick - 09/24/24 06:53 PM
Round Table for Summer 2024
by Kaine - 09/18/24 01:01 PM
Media and Politics
by jgw - 09/12/24 05:45 PM
Religion in tax supported schools
by jgw - 09/10/24 08:58 PM
Demented Trump and an American hell-hole
by pdx rick - 09/08/24 09:07 AM
A tough election with a simple conclusion
by rporter314 - 09/06/24 04:44 PM
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 6 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Agnostic Politico, Jems, robertjohn, BlackCat13th, ruggedman
6,305 Registered Users
Popular Topics(Views)
10,239,791 my own book page
5,043,991 We shall overcome
4,234,018 Campaign 2016
3,840,683 Trump's Trumpet
3,040,509 3 word story game
Top Posters
pdx rick 47,376
Scoutgal 27,583
Phil Hoskins 21,134
Greger 19,831
Towanda 19,391
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
Forum Statistics
Forums59
Topics17,117
Posts314,229
Members6,305
Most Online294
Dec 6th, 2017
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
J
jgw Offline OP
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
J
Trump has been a failure in anything he has ever done except one thing - Politics! He has done well here whether you like him or not - its a simple fact. I suspect that, in itself, could probably be a subject for thought, anyway... Recently he has been claiming, regularly, that he is going to fix the Ukraine problem. Everybody, I think, is just ignoring that one. Think about it a minute. What if that happens? We are in the midst of an election and he is part of that one. Right now he might lose but, what if Trump the peacemaker gets the Russians to knock it off and pull out of Ukraine and Putin tells the world that it was the clever thoughts of Trump to get that done? I do NOT want that man to win but, if that happens? All bets are off.

Now, Russia. Russia is in trouble. Russians themselves are not exactly happy with what is going on, Thousands of its citizens who were the right age to join the military left the country, etc. They are currently reliant on North Korea for their weapons. Russia has lost most of its European customers and needs money badly, and we must not forget that Trump and Putin remain the very best of pals and friends. This would also get Putin out of a mess of his doing as well as having the president of the United States as his very best pal.

Anyway, I just thought I would mention this one. When it comes to politics, Trump has proven that he has political chops. You may not like him, you may laugh at him, etc. but this simple fact is that when he starts harping on something regularly there just might be something there. This one scares the crap out of me!

Last edited by jgw; 09/28/24 03:58 PM.
K
enthusiast
enthusiast
K
I don't want to think about it. Especially if the house and senate both go GOP!

Good doesn't always win!
enthusiast
enthusiast
The way I figure it, the democrats have 23 currently held seats at risk of switching in the house to the republicans 21. But there’re different categories in the at-risk field. They’re not all even or the same. The democrats will retain more of their at-risk seats than the GOP along with gaining more currently help GOP seats than the republican gain Democratic held seats.. Throw in the generic congressional ballot which the Democrats are 1.8 points in the lead, which translate in a probable gain of 8 seats if the election were held today. Which would give the democrats a 221-214 advantage. Regaining control of the House.

https://www.realclearpolling.com/polls/state-of-the-union/2024/generic-congressional-vote

The senate, currently a 51-49 democratic edge. West Virginia is gone, a MAGA republican will replace Manchin which the democrats wanted gone anyway. The democrats got their wish or want concerning Manchin. Leaving the senate, a 50-50 tie. Everything revolves around Montana as to who controls the senate. Montana if the election were held today would go to the republicans, they would regain control of the senate 51-49. All other seats look fairly safe for the incumbent party.

https://www.realclearpolling.com/polls/senate/general/2024/montana/sheehy-vs-tester

the presidency is a 50-50 proposition, all nationwide polls along with all 7 battleground states are all within the MOE. Making the presidential election a dead heat, a 100% pure tossup.

https://www.realclearpolling.com/po...mp-vs-harris-vs-kennedy-vs-stein-vs-west

https://www.realclearpolling.com/elections/president/2024/battleground-states

For me, Pennsylvania is the key. Whoever wins Pennsylvania will win the presidency.

https://www.realclearpolling.com/polls/president/general/2024/pennsylvania/trump-vs-harris

It's high past time that we start electing Americans to congress and the presidency who put America first instead of their political party. For way too long we have been electing Republicans and Democrats who happen to be Americans instead of Americans who happen to be Republicans and Democrats.
J
jgw Offline OP
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
J
Perotista;

It just continues to confuse me. It just make no sense to vote for Trump. He is, yet again, under the gun of the courts from something he has been able to bury for months and then his vice president released his notes and its fair game again. This time it is, as far as I can tell, something to do with messing with stuff which is against the law AND the constitution! We will see when it gets to the Supremes and how they are going to say that this was a thing he did as president or not. If they say its a thing he did as as president then its ok because, I guess, if you are president you get to over throw the United States of America. Oh, one other little problem. If Trump wins this one it all goes away!

I think its pretty easy to note that there are really serious things being decided and its all about the next election. Oh, one other little thing, it also seems as if the Trump folk have worked, very hard, to set up this and that so that they can actually control, exactly, the election and how it all ends. One can only wonder if our existing government is ready and able to deal with this all.

Anyway, you work hard at what you do. My problem with it all is that it may not make any difference if Trump gets his way and, that, tends to set me off a bit. I also think that if he fails this time he is done. My own personal thought is that its time for him to go - who says that wishful thinking doesn't count?

enthusiast
enthusiast
If I understood the SCOTUS ruling, if whatever a president does, decision made, etc. falls within the official duties of the office of the president, the president is immune. But if whatever he does or did, whatever decision made doesn’t fall within the official duties of the office of the president, the president is liable for his actions as any of us would be. Now I don’t speak legalese, heck, I don’t even understand legalese. This is how I understood it. The big question is how does one define the official duties of the president from those that are not official duties? That was left up to the courts, judges to decide.

As for voting for Trump, going by historical numbers, percentages, 40% of the population will vote for Trump or against any democrat. How many of that 40% are actually voting for Trump and how many are voting against any democrat due to ideological and political differences can be debated. There’s probably no way to come up with an accurate or even a ballpark figure. I tried numerous scenarios and models, but everything I tried comes up short. It amounts to a wild guess which probably would be way off.

The bottom line is Trump will get his 40%, Harris will get her 40% whether those voters are for Trump or Harris as in the person they want as the next president or are against one or the other political party, against the other party’s political ideology, philosophy etc. Those who would vote for Genghis Kahn or Atilla the Hun if they were their party’s nominee against Mother Terresa if she was the other party’s nominee.

Next question would be about the remaining 20% who basically don’t have any political ideology or philosophy, why would they vote for Trump? This latter 20% don’t pay much attention to politics in general if they pay any attention at all. Maybe they liked Trump’s slogan, maybe they heard something on TV they liked about him or disliked about Harris. Maybe they just flipped a coin or that’s who mom and dad are voting for or a peer? I don’t know and I’m not going to guess.

To be honest, I thought when all these indictments came down, federal, New York and Georgia that would destroy Trump. They didn’t. I thought when Trump sat in a court room and was found guilty in the NY fraud case and the E.J. Carrol case, that would be his end. Didn’t happened. Why that wasn’t the case, I don’t know. It makes no sense to me. I understand the partisan issues and party loyalty. That is in a normal era, but the Trump era has been anything but normal. Normalcy and sanity have deserted us I’m afraid jgw, your answers lies with someone else.

It's high past time that we start electing Americans to congress and the presidency who put America first instead of their political party. For way too long we have been electing Republicans and Democrats who happen to be Americans instead of Americans who happen to be Republicans and Democrats.

Link Copied to Clipboard