WE NEED YOUR HELP! Please donate to keep ReaderRant online to serve political discussion and its members. (Blue Ridge Photography pays the bills for RR).
Current Topics
Round Table for Spring 2024
by jgw - 06/02/24 05:30 PM
2024 Election Forum
by perotista - 06/02/24 01:50 AM
A question
by jgw - 05/31/24 07:06 PM
No rubbers for Trump
by pdx rick - 05/31/24 04:30 PM
Marching in favor of Palestinians
by jgw - 05/26/24 06:45 PM
Yeah, Trump admits he is a pure racist
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:28 PM
Trump's base having second thoughts
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:25 PM
Watching the Supreme Court
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:07 PM
Trump: "Anti-American authoritarian wannabe
by Doug Thompson - 05/05/24 03:27 PM
Fixing/Engineer the Weather
by jgw - 05/03/24 10:52 PM
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 9 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Agnostic Politico, Jems, robertjohn, BlackCat13th, ruggedman
6,305 Registered Users
Popular Topics(Views)
10,131,417 my own book page
5,021,748 We shall overcome
4,201,042 Campaign 2016
3,796,592 Trump's Trumpet
3,019,205 3 word story game
Top Posters
pdx rick 47,292
Scoutgal 27,583
Phil Hoskins 21,134
Greger 19,831
Towanda 19,391
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
jgw 5
Kaine 1
Forum Statistics
Forums59
Topics17,091
Posts313,849
Members6,305
Most Online294
Dec 6th, 2017
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Active Threads | Active Posts | Unanswered Today | Since Yesterday | This Week
The RoundTable Jump to new posts
Re: Round Table for Spring 2024 jgw 1 hour ago
its only 26 days until the first debate (both will appear). Hopefully Biden will have at it with a will and mention stuff like; Trump not allowing the house's effort to deal with the southern border, a few things from the Trump's presidency like the simple fact that there were several who thought the Trump presidency was the worst in the history of the nation, etc. You know, that kind of stuff.

If Biden actually goes after Trump then, perhaps, some votes might change?
14 525 Read More
Elections 2024 Jump to new posts
Re: 2024 Election Forum perotista 17 hours ago
As a swing voter, I follow independents closely. They’re the election deciders. Forbes/Harris X has a poll taken after the guilty verdict. In 2020 independents gave Biden the white house by voting for him 54-41 over Trump. Prior to the guilty verdict independents were leaning toward Trump by an average of 39-34 with 14% stating they’ll vote third party, 10% undecided. It also independent that most dislike and don’t want neither Trump nor Biden to become the next president.

Here's Forbes/Harris X poll which was taken overnight after the guilty verdict. Check out question H2a: If the 2024 election for president were held today and it was between the following candidates, who would you vote for?

https://uploads-ssl.webflow.com/642...ernight%20Poll%20-%2031%20May%202024.pdf

The good news is there’s a definite shift among independents. From 39-34 Trump over Biden to 33-29 Biden over Trump. But third-party candidates increased from 14 points to 22 points and undecided from 10 to 15 points. Trump has dropped 10 points, but Biden has dropped one. I’ll wait a couple of weeks to ensure this poll isn’t a one off. That Biden has for the first time since September of last year taken the lead among independents.

Even though Biden didn’t increase his voter percentage among independents, perhaps most if not all of Trump’s 10-point drop went to third party candidates or undecided, it’s still addition by subtraction for Biden. A definite plus for old Joe. But this also shows a definite hesitation among independents who most dislike and don’t want neither Trump or Biden as their next president to vote for Biden, instead of Trump it’s voting third party for them or perhaps just staying home. Regardless, if this poll is accurate, I see it as a big plus for Biden.
161 5,945 Read More
Re: Round Table for Spring 2024 perotista Yesterday at 07:45 PM
I’m going by Biden’s numbers. His very low numbers would have doomed Biden to a landslide loss against almost any other republican than Trump. Any sitting president with a job approval of below 50% has lost his reelection bid. Ford at 45% lost to Carter in 1976. Jimmy at 39% lost to Reagan in 1980, G.H.W. Bush at 43% lost to Bill Clinton in 1992 and Trump at 42% lost to Biden in 2020. Be grateful if you’re a Biden supporter, that you want Biden to win because he’s Joe Biden and not just anti-Trump that it’s Trump Biden is running against. Half of all America don’t want this rematch. They want someone other than either Biden or Trump. Poll after poll has showed this.

59% of all Americans don’t or didn’t want Biden to run for reelection. 57% don’t and didn’t want Trump to run again. You have two very unpopular, unwanted, disliked major party candidates. 55% of all Americans have a negative or unfavorable view of Biden, 54% the same negative/unfavorable view of Trump.

https://www.realclearpolling.com/polls/favorability/political-leaders

It’s this negative view of both major party candidates that makes this election not normal. Only once before had we an election where both major party candidates were viewed under 50% favorably and over 50% unfavorably. 2016 between Trump and Clinton. The result was a low voter turnout 54% and a high third-party vote, 6%. Expect the same this year as voter enthusiasm is even lower this year to vote for president than it was in 2016. By contrast in 2020 with high voter enthusiasm, voter turnout was 62% using VAP with only 1.7% third party vote.
14 525 Read More
Re: Round Table for Spring 2024 rporter314 Yesterday at 03:01 PM
"almost any other democrat"

I do want to respond to ... "This is what makes this rematch not normal to them." but first ... which Democrat? While I can see a whole bevy of competent people, none has the gravitas to take on the mantle of President .... IMHO

Beside Attila ( a bit extreme ... I prefer a dead ham sandwich), who?
14 525 Read More
Re: Round Table for Spring 2024 perotista Yesterday at 11:59 AM
Well, it is what it is. It’s not what I’m missing, perhaps it what the whole country is missing. I can let you know how all Americans are viewing this rematch or totally ignore it. Fact is Biden is basically a non-factor for around 70% of all Americans. They’re either very pro-Trump or very anti-Trump. Even among those who today state they’re voting for Biden, their much more anti-Trump than for Biden. 55% of those who state they’re voting for Biden are mostly voting against Trump. Only 43% are mostly voting for Biden. For the anti-Trumpers, who the democrat is don’t matter. Biden, Mother Terresa, Atilla the Hun. But for the final 30% who for the most part is both anti-Biden and anti-Trump, who don’t like nor want either one, How they view Biden and his 4 years as president very well may be the deciding factor. They tend to forget Trump’s childish antics, his bullying tactics, his obnoxiousness, his very poor handling of his presidential duties, his lies, The impeachments, 1-6, all his legal problems and on and on. This latter 30% are more focused on Biden, he’s president now than Trump who once was. We’ll have to wait and see how this hush money guilty verdict affects Trump.

This time around, it’s Biden who must defend his presidency, not Trump. For this latter 30%, this isn’t a normal election in the sense they’re being asked to choose between two candidates they dislike and don’t want as the next president. This is what makes this rematch not normal to them. Not the preservation of democracy. This election, rematch, to this last 30% who aren’t pro or anti-Trumpers, has the air or feeling among them as being a who cares who wins or loses election. They want someone other than Trump and Biden. It’s really that simple. Probably well over half won’t even bother to vote. Then another good percentage will vote third party against both Biden and Trump with the remaining choosing between them. Those that do choose will be the election deciders.

I’ve said this before, I firmly believe that almost any other democrat than Biden would be beating Trump by 10 points or more. Not trailing by 2. Especially when I break down this final 30%.
14 525 Read More
Re: Round Table for Spring 2024 rporter314 05/31/24 08:56 PM
If this was a "normal" election, everything you said about the candidates would be true and valid, but again you have missed the most salient issue .... it is not a "normal" election ... we have Trump ... impeached, indicted, convicted felon, sexual predator, but most important a candidate as anti-American as any candidate in history. Try analyzing from that perspective, and all your protestations appear as ephemeral as fog in sunlight. That the American electorate is too frakking stupid to understand it, too frakking ignorant, just don't care, or they are all for the demise of Democracy. is the issue. And to top it off, elected Republicans are complicit.

This is why I am that madman screaming of the Death of Democracy ... nothing else matters
14 525 Read More