Pence vows to fight subpoena all the way to Supreme Court. (CHB) "His strong reluctance raises questions: Is he trying to protect criminal activity by Donald Trump or himself?"

My answer is: Both. He has the insane idea that he might still run for President, despite it being an obviously forlorn endeavor. Trumpists will not support him, and no one else trusts him - except radical evangelicals. At the same time, he was up to his eyeballs in obstruction during the Trump presidency, and he knows if inquiries go beyond "why didn't you get in the car?" He's toast.

But, as the article notes: "Former Vice President Mike Pence said Wednesday that he will challenge a subpoena by the special counsel overseeing Trump investigations to compel his testimony before a grand jury — pursuing it to the Supreme Court if necessary. ...
“Let me first be clear: I’m going to fight the Biden DOJ subpoena for me to appear before the grand jury because I believe it’s unconstitutional and it’s unprecedented,” Pence told reporters in Iowa, the state that will hold the first contest of the 2024 nominating sequence.

“Never before in American history has a vice president been summoned to appear in court to testify against the president with whom they serve,” he said."

First, it is an obvious delay tactic. It is neither unconstitutional, nor unprecedented. In fact, Aaron Burr was tried for treason - by his former boss - so there is that. Moreover, it is obvious that there is nothing about the "Speech and debate" clause that would implicate his actions as Vice President. He just wants to avoid pleading the Fifth when questioned.

Pence is a sleaze of the first order.