WE NEED YOUR HELP! Please donate to keep ReaderRant online to serve political discussion and its members. (Blue Ridge Photography pays the bills for RR).
Current Topics
Biden to Cancel $10,000 in Student Loan Debt
by pdx rick - 05/19/24 10:52 PM
A question
by perotista - 05/19/24 08:06 PM
2024 Election Forum
by jgw - 05/17/24 07:45 PM
No rubbers for Trump
by Kaine - 05/16/24 02:21 PM
Marching in favor of Palestinians
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:38 PM
Yeah, Trump admits he is a pure racist
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:28 PM
Trump's base having second thoughts
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:25 PM
Watching the Supreme Court
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:07 PM
Trump: "Anti-American authoritarian wannabe
by Doug Thompson - 05/05/24 03:27 PM
Fixing/Engineer the Weather
by jgw - 05/03/24 10:52 PM
Earth Day tomorrow
by logtroll - 05/03/24 01:09 AM
Round Table for Spring 2024
by rporter314 - 04/22/24 03:13 AM
To hell with Trump and his cult
by pdx rick - 04/20/24 08:05 PM
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 8 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Agnostic Politico, Jems, robertjohn, BlackCat13th, ruggedman
6,305 Registered Users
Popular Topics(Views)
10,080,879 my own book page
5,017,073 We shall overcome
4,194,406 Campaign 2016
3,794,538 Trump's Trumpet
3,017,678 3 word story game
Top Posters
pdx rick 47,286
Scoutgal 27,583
Phil Hoskins 21,134
Greger 19,831
Towanda 19,391
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
jgw 6
Kaine 1
Forum Statistics
Forums59
Topics17,089
Posts313,787
Members6,305
Most Online294
Dec 6th, 2017
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Active Threads | Active Posts | Unanswered Today | Since Yesterday | This Week
The Biden Administration Jump to new posts
Re: Biden to Cancel $10,000 in Student Loan Debt pdx rick Yesterday at 10:52 PM
The most important part of the student loan forgiveness is that 20 years of payments must be made. The rest of the loan is interest to the government. Interest = free money to the government.

The free money to the government is being done away with. I have no problem with that.

The interest on my $29,500k loan was literally $100k. THAT is outrageous.

My parents don't help me. Ergo, the student loan. When one is late teens/early 20s, 9% interest over the course of 20+ years, simply was not on the radar. Now-a-days, loans spell out just how much interested will accumulate and what the final payment will be. Back then, that wasn't done.
61 2,579 Read More
Re: Biden to Cancel $10,000 in Student Loan Debt Kaine Yesterday at 10:33 PM
Maybe the boomer generation but not me. I didn't go to college. I was raised by a single mom and she couldn't afford to help with college. I looked into furthering my education. I didn't like what I saw so I didn't go. Crazy how much I would have had to pay back in the end! It. Was. My. Choice. I wasn't forced to go to college.

I was still able to make a living. It wasn't always easy but I did it without going in to debt. I am now only a couple of years away from retirement, and I am earning a 6 digit income and am quite happy.

The fact that something needs to be forgiven at all, makes me think something is wrong to begin with! Why. Not. Fix. That.?
61 2,579 Read More
Re: Biden to Cancel $10,000 in Student Loan Debt pdx rick Yesterday at 08:21 PM
Its not giving money away. Principle payments have been made for twenty years. Only the 9% interest added to the principle is being forgiven. After 20 years, the original principle has been paid.

Forgiving the interest is the right thing to do. After all, baby boomers got the entire loan cancelled in bankruptcy. No one is complaining about THAT! mad

Why? Because those complaining are baby boomers. In typical baby boomer fashion - they are ladder pullers. They got the benefit of loan dissolution through bankruptcy - they want no one else to have the same benefit. Ergo, pulling-up the ladder once the were safely on top. - so that everyone after don't have the same benefit. crazy

We Gen X'ers, Gen Y's, Gen Z's know what you boomers did.
61 2,579 Read More
Elections 2024
Re: A question perotista Yesterday at 08:06 PM
Darts, good analogy. But I’ll leave you with folks enthusiasm in voting for president so you can compare 2024 to 2020.
2024 42% either extremely enthusiastic or very enthusiastic in voting for president, 41% not too enthusiastic or not at all enthusiastic. Question 14.

https://d3nkl3psvxxpe9.cloudfront.net/documents/econTabReport_nURRSN3.pdf

2020 76% either extremely enthusiastic or very enthusiastic in voting for president, 12% not too enthusiastic or not at all enthusiastic. Question 22.

https://docs.cdn.yougov.com/nzc8dt85gn/econTabReport.pdf

The questions break this down via age, race, party, political philosophy etc. if you want to check those out. People wanted to get out and vote in 2020 which resulted in a 62% voter turnout, 160 million. Which had the highest voter turnout since 1960 when 63% voted. That enthusiasm to vote isn’t there this year for this rematch.
11 220 Read More
Elections 2024
Re: A question jgw Yesterday at 07:19 PM
I have, pretty much, heard all that stuff. I continue to kinda ignore it. I ignore it because it simply makes no sense. Its as if everybody is in front of a target and they are holding the darts but can't figure out what to throw at, so they just stand there wondering what to do next. They all really want to do something but cannot figure out how to do it.

Oh well, we will know in a few months. Hopefully the result will be something we can survive.

I wish us both luck...........
11 220 Read More
Elections 2024
Re: A question perotista Yesterday at 06:25 PM
Originally Posted by Jeffery J. Haas
I've come to the conclusion that one-third of the country is suffering from "Oppositional Defiant Disorder" and they want to reelect Trump as their rage outlet.
Probably more have that defiant mood. Perhaps half or even a bit more. But they don’t want Trump to regain the white,house, they also don’t want Biden reelected either. A Harvard/Harris poll showed 58% of all Americans want a new president. That new president doesn’t include the present one nor the former one. Then this from Pew Research - Reflecting their dissatisfaction with the Biden-Trump matchup, nearly half of registered voters (49%) say that, if they had the ability to decide the major party candidates for the 2024 election, they would replace both Biden and Trump on the ballot. Other than this, there’s a ton of great info in the Pew Research Paper/poll.

https://www.pewresearch.org/politic...roadly-critical-of-both-biden-and-trump/

https://harvardharrispoll.com/key-results-april-3/

You can also add that 64% of all Americans want another choice other than Biden and Trump. This from Time - The 2024 presidential election is a rematch between one man widely seen as too old for the job and another man widely seen as too dangerous. The prospect has left much of the country feeling both paralyzed and horrified. Call it the Dread Election.

A Yahoo survey last fall found that the most common feeling this election cycle—across age, gender, and party leaning—is “dread.” More than 4 in 10 American adults said they felt “dread” about the upcoming contest, more than the proportion that responded with words like “exhaustion,” “depression,” or “indifference.” Nearly half of women, white voters, and Democratic leaning voters say they dread the looming presidential rerun. Republicans have slightly less trepidation (their dread hovered in the mid-thirties) but they’re not in a great mood either. Strong majorities of both parties express dissatisfaction with their choices.

https://time.com/6883103/the-dread-election/

I’d say it’s closer to 60% of all Americans who don’t want this rematch. Defiant or dread or wanting someone other than Biden and Trump, take your choice of words or phrases.
11 220 Read More
Elections 2024
Re: A question jgw Yesterday at 06:07 PM
Either case..... We both agree that things are not, exactly, right. I find it all pretty strange. When I added to my house, several years ago, the interest rate of 12% now its 7 something and everybody is whining about it. Biden has done more than most presidents yet people keep on saying he is a mistake as he is too old and frail and has mental problems - basic crap. Yep, something is wrong!
11 220 Read More
Elections 2024
Re: A question Jeffery J. Haas Yesterday at 05:02 PM
I've come to the conclusion that one-third of the country is suffering from "Oppositional Defiant Disorder" and they want to reelect Trump as their rage outlet.
11 220 Read More
Elections 2024
Re: A question jgw Yesterday at 04:15 PM
Yep, you are right. I remember, when Trump was running before and one of the heads of a network said, right out loud, that Trump was a goldmine for his network and he would show any Trump stuff he could. We got Trump because the media gave him to us and they are still doing it. The strange thing is that I am blaming the media when the simple fact is that the American voting public seem to love to watch him in 'action'. There is nothing one can do about that.

I continue to wonder if American has not somehow found, and been addicted to 'dumb', in a big way. We will see in November and it scares the hell out of me.

I should add one last. When Trump left office virtually all, talking heads rated him as the WORST PRESIDENT IN THE HISTORY OF AMERICA! I wonder if the addiction of 'dumb' includes a failure in political memory as well.
11 220 Read More
Re: Biden to Cancel $10,000 in Student Loan Debt Kaine Yesterday at 03:27 PM
I don't really care when or who gives the money away when it is not going to fix anything. There has got to be a better way to spend that money to fix it so students aren't taken advantage of.

I'm no economist or education expert, but it looks to me like a waste to give the money away to pay someone's debt that they could have avoided in the first place. Similar to giving someone a fish instead of teaching them how to fish!

Fix the problem, whatever it might be, instead of handing out more taxpayer money. Then in another, what, 5 or 10 years there can again be another giveaway/bailout for the students and nothing again gets fixed?
61 2,579 Read More