I hesitat to get into the very controversial subject about the only authentic or traditional way to make cornbread, for today, but I'm feeling a bit of a deja vu re cornbread here. I will look it up and see who won.
Oh ok....ROTFMOL

Beans and peas are a big part of our diet. I love them! I cook almost exclusively from dried beans/peas and I like to do it in a small slow cooker. No pre soaking or fast boil. The creamiest way to make them. Anywhere from 3 hours to 6 depending on the bean.
I always keep on hand, red beans, pinto beans, navy beans, great northern bean, black beans, kidney beans, garbanzo beans (great in soups and salads) and last but no where near the least, black eyed peas, my very favorite.

I have a fantastic red beans and rice recipe....red beans, onion, celery, bell pepper, garlic, bag leaves, cayenne, Cajun seasoning (see Greger's suggestion above), parsley, and most of all sage...in my opinion, the most important. I've made it with andouille sausage and with no meat at all. (we were meat free for a long time, now we're meat less). I also might put a splash of sherry in.
I cook this in the slow cooker. Toe curling good!

Hey Tat, I grow collards year around here too. What you say, so right about wintertime collards!