we should all mask up, stay home and isolate, quit our jobs, stop doing everything and hunker down because it could return at any minute and we shouldn't be sidetracked by silly wars and economic realities. Not when a single case of covid exists in the world!

Hey, that's your strawman, not mine. I never said any of that. I said what we need to do is a lot more monitoring of wild animals so we have some advance warning when a spillover is coming. We should also be working on a general purpose polymerase blocker. Like the very successful protease blocker Paxlovid and the HIV proteases, but for a different enzyme that is highly conserved by all corona viruses. (That means it doesn't change much, if ever.) These are things that need government funding, because there is no immediate return on investment for a corporation. The way corporate duties are defined in America, it would actually be illegal for them to do these things! We could have started on that drug back when SARS1 showed up, but everybody just ignored it when standard public health methods contained it. For that matter, we in America need to bring back public health's powers to contain outbreaks early.