I think I may be confused. I have been under the idea that OUR government was funding, and collecting most of the higher education loans. That, I think, started with Obama.

There is also another little problem. China, right now, is graduating twice as many engineers, etc than we are. Our state higher education has lost a great deal of state money to function and most of the staff was underpaid. Now the staff is no longer in that state but, given the greed of state legislators, or legislators who don't want to tax to help pay the price, and the greed of the private, incredibly rich, universities the United States of America is no longer producing what the nation needs and the national politics has responded by slowing down replacements from foreign sources.

Now add in that the government of America decided that, rather than supporting our higher education they would put entire generations of educated into lifelong debt (except for the lucky few). I know, I have simplified this but the problem(s) are very real and get worse annually. We are the only nation in the developed world that makes it almost impossible for anybody to actually get educated without going bankrupt along the way. A more interesting thing is that those debts are not, I am told, not dealt with in bankruptcy court so the 18/20 year old dummy who signed up for the debt is well and truly screwed.