WE NEED YOUR HELP! Please donate to keep ReaderRant online to serve political discussion and its members. (Blue Ridge Photography pays the bills for RR).
Current Topics
Watching the Supreme Court
by jgw - 05/08/24 05:42 PM
Trump's base having second thoughts
by jgw - 05/08/24 05:37 PM
2024 Election Forum
by perotista - 05/08/24 02:32 PM
Yeah, Trump admits he is a pure racist
by Doug Thompson - 05/07/24 02:06 PM
Marching in favor of Palestinians
by jgw - 05/05/24 05:57 PM
Trump: "Anti-American authoritarian wannabe
by Doug Thompson - 05/05/24 03:27 PM
Fixing/Engineer the Weather
by jgw - 05/03/24 10:52 PM
Earth Day tomorrow
by logtroll - 05/03/24 01:09 AM
Biden to Cancel $10,000 in Student Loan Debt
by Kaine - 04/22/24 01:03 PM
Netanyahu Says Never to a State for Palestinians
by chunkstyle - 04/22/24 12:32 PM
Round Table for Spring 2024
by rporter314 - 04/22/24 03:13 AM
To hell with Trump and his cult
by pdx rick - 04/20/24 08:05 PM
Abortion
by pdx rick - 04/14/24 03:23 PM
Did Trump abuse his daughter when she was underage?
by pdx rick - 04/12/24 09:05 PM
Why Trump smells so bad
by pdx rick - 04/10/24 07:42 PM
The 14th Amendment and Donald Trump
by jgw - 04/09/24 05:41 PM
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 11 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Agnostic Politico, Jems, robertjohn, BlackCat13th, ruggedman
6,305 Registered Users
Popular Topics(Views)
10,001,880 my own book page
5,012,957 We shall overcome
4,192,653 Campaign 2016
3,791,936 Trump's Trumpet
3,015,250 3 word story game
Top Posters
pdx rick 47,271
Scoutgal 27,583
Phil Hoskins 21,134
Greger 19,831
Towanda 19,391
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
jgw 5
Forum Statistics
Forums59
Topics17,086
Posts313,735
Members6,305
Most Online294
Dec 6th, 2017
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Thread Like Summary
Jeffery J. Haas, pdx rick, TatumAH
Original Post (Thread Starter)
#323892 04/06/2020 12:23 AM
by pdx rick
pdx rick

Sunday, April 5th 2020

• Chicken Cacciatore
  • - Chopped tomatoes, garlic, tumaric, sweet onion, Chardonnay, mushrooms, sliced bell peppers
  • - Egg noodles
  • - Oven "fried" chicken
  • - Chopped italian parsley as garnish
  • Spinach Salad
  • - chopped egg
  • - sliced mushrooms
  • - chopped bacon
  • - warm Paul Newman's Family Italian Dressing

smile
Liked Replies
#346116 Nov 8th a 10:29 PM
by TatumAH
TatumAH
Smoked pork butt sliders on portabella caps, with NC Style Vinegar sauce, with a dash of Thorazine eek

Tat
2 members like this
#337799 Oct 29th a 02:27 AM
by TatumAH
TatumAH
Originally Posted by logtroll
Is it true that umami wears ahmi boots?

Actually yes! grin
Both parents were in WWII. Mother was head Nurse in a program training nurses to go overseas, and a hospital ward. Big Nurse comes to mind. Father was Doc working on chemical warfare. Both were Captains, but my father outranked her by a month, except that when he met her, he was a patient with a kidney stone in HER ward! She told him to lie down and he objected as he knew it hurt worse to lie down. He tried to pull rank as a Doctor, but she overruled him as rank doesn't count when a patient. It was love at first conflict, and she allowed him to retain the illusion of control, after a power sharing agreement was hammered out grin

TAT
1 member likes this
#337884 Oct 31st a 11:28 PM
by TatumAH
TatumAH
Air Fried Green Tomatoes for dinner side dish, signifying the absolute end of the home tomato season. Breaded with seasoned panko, sprayed with olive oil, and air fried for 15 minutes, turning half way through. Tart but crispy with interesting contrast of textures.
However, I think with Fried Green Tomatoes, like the BBQ,
the secret's in the sauce eek2

Tat
1 member likes this
#337814 Oct 29th a 11:34 PM
by TatumAH
TatumAH
Originally Posted by Jeffery J. Haas
So okay, TAT is the resident MSG expert and I'm the guy with the kid who is restricted by his cardiologist to very low salt intake.
Does MSG count as salt intake? Does it work like salt to make the body retain water, which is Daryl's Enemy Numero Uno?

First Jeff, I so sorry to read about Daryl's struggles with heart failure and edema. See below to find much more than most want to know about MSG as a salt reduction strategy. But, bottom line MSG does contain Sodium, but much less than the amounts of NaCl needed for palatability. The amounts and conversions are detailed below. Further reduction in sodium can be achieved using other Cations (my favorite ions) grin like potassium, calcium, and ammonium NH4+, but in Daryl's case they can cause other problems and would have to be approved by his treating physicians.
It's actually much more complicated when we start discussing Sodium and Chloride in the context of fluid retention in heart failure and diuretic use. There is now considerable data that Chloride may be the bad actor rather than Sodium, but as they are usually consumed together as NaCl it has been hard to define their indivdual roles in volume regulation in general and specifically in diuretic resistant heart failure. For example Na Bicarbonate, baking soda, does not have the same fluid retention stimulation as NaCl. The body disposes of excess Bicarbonate by blowing off CO2 from the lungs, but cant dispose of Chloride which has to be done through the kidney. Which brings up pretty much all of Kidney physiology to help understand fluid and blood pressure regulation by the renin-angiotensin system.
I will post some references that may help, but it is an extremely complicated and confusing system, even to those of us who have been dealing with this for 40-50 years! And, Medical Students really hate it because they have to know it!
Much MOAR later!
TAT

Monosodium glutamate as a tool to reduce sodium in foodstuffs: Technological and safety aspects

In comparison to NaCl, glutamate salts such as MSG or monoammonium L‐glutamate and disodium inosinate and guanylate, have low or no sodium content (Figure 1). There is an appropriate amount of MSG for NaCl replacement with maintaining acceptance of the food. This is because an excess of MSG does not promote the umami taste and, on the contrary, could lead to an undesirable sensation (Jinap & Hajeb, 2010). The recommendation for MSG use as food additive is 0.1%–0.8% of weight, which corresponds to the amount of free L‐glutamate present naturally in tomato or parmesan cheese (Beyreuther et al., 2007). For MSG, the amount of sodium is 12.28 g/100 g, and this is 1/3 of the sodium when compared to NaCl (39.34 g/100 g). To use MSG in a homemade recipe, such as 500 g of foodstuff (rice, minced meat, etc.), a simple replacement of 1/2 teaspoon of NaCl (2.5 g) by 1/2 teaspoon of MSG (2.0 g) reduces sodium content in about 37% (Maluly, Pagani, & Capparelo, 2013).
An external file that holds a picture, illustration, etc. Object name is FSN3-5-1039-g001.jpg
Figure 1

Structures and sodium content of monosodium glutamate monohydrate, disodium inosinate and disodium guanylate

The following sections present potential applications of MSG to reduce sodium content in specific foods.
3.1. Soups

Yamaguchi and Takahashi (1984) were some of the first researchers who tested different concentrations of NaCl and MSG in soups with reduced sodium content. The authors evaluated sensory panels via the consumption of sumashi‐jiru, a popular soup in Japan, made with dried bonito fish. The scales used by the sensory panels varied in a range of seven points that considered the amount of NaCl and palatability: from “extremely strong or palatable” (+3) to “extremely weak or unpalatable” (−3). Each panelist evaluated nine samples randomly and considered the concentration of 0.81 g/100 g of NaCl and 0.38 g/100 g of MSG as an ideal formulation. The authors verified that the reduction in the NaCl amount did not affect the palatability of the salty taste. With these concentrations, it was possible to reduce sodium content and maintain acceptability. This research suggested that to increase the palatability of reduced sodium products, MSG content should be tested at fixed concentrations while varying the levels of NaCl until finding the most appropriate combination. This is the best strategy to reduce the total sodium content in soups without influencing their palatability.

A recent study conducted by Jinap et al. (2016) investigated the acceptance of a sodium reduction in spicy soups (curry chicken and chili chicken) by Malaysian panelists, replacing NaCl with MSG. The authors verified that MSG could maintain the acceptability of the soups. The high score of acceptability was given for the soups with 0.8 g/100 g and 0.7 g/100 g of NaCl and MSG, respectively. These amounts corroborate a previous study published by Yamaguchi and Takahashi (1984), who noted that MSG could reduce the sodium content by 32.5%.
3.2. Stocks and seasonings

Stocks and seasonings containing NaCl are generally the main vehicles to elevate sodium consumption, according to the POFs (2002–2003 and 2008–2009) (Sarno et al., 2009, 2013).

5. FINAL COMMENTS

Considering the available data in the scientific literature, in addition to the information provided by the flavor enhancer industry, we could verify the use of umami substances as a strategy to reduce sodium in different foodstuffs (processed and homemade foods) without affecting the perception of saltiness and, therefore, contributing to the wellness and safety of the population. Many applications evaluated showed promising results, especially in those products with elevated sodium contents such as processed meat.

Despite concerns about the toxicity potential of MSG raised by some studies, regulatory agencies have demonstrated the safety of use of this food additive through toxicity assessments and randomized double blind, placebo‐controlled studies. An ADI “not specified” or GRAS status has been allocated to glutamate and its salts, meaning that it can be used as a food additive in the necessary amount to achieve the desired technological effect. Nonetheless, in the European Union, a use limit of 10 g glutamate/kg of food has been established.

Other strategies, such as the use of nucleotides (IMP and GMP) and NFEs, could also be useful for enhancing products with reduced sodium content. The combination of different substances in a formulation could generate a larger impact in flavor continuity due to their synergistic effect when added at recommended concentrations to maintain the desirable flavor without exceeding the sensorial and technological limits.

Sensorial and physicochemical tests are always recommended to obtain higher quality products while respecting the preferences of the consumers and the lifestyles of the modern life.
1 member likes this
#338218 Nov 11th a 04:04 AM
by TatumAH
TatumAH
Well, that leaves the field open for the rest of us! grin
Do you think Roscoe is worried about all that wokking with a wok jocky?

TAT
1 member likes this
#338241 Nov 11th a 05:45 PM
by Greger
Greger
Trichinosis has been virtually eliminated in the pork processing industry. Unlike a barnyard pig or a wild boar. The more "natural" the pork, the greater the danger. Not just from trichinosis but from all the other various sources of contamination.

I just got an 8lb pork butt for .99 a pound. Quartered it and cooked sous vide at 145F for 18 hours as per J Kenzi Alt-Lopez. Finished in the air fryer on roast at 300F for 25 minutes.

When I carved it there was STILL the slightest shade of pink to it. Generally speaking, the pink myoglobin in meat will turn brown at 140 degrees.

Less fatty cuts of pork like loin and tenderloin are better done in the 135 IT range.
1 member likes this
#338374 Nov 14th a 08:53 PM
by Greger
Greger
It's perfect for that! I've been buying jars of fillets in oil and when the fish are used up I use the fishy salty oil in all sorts of things for an umami boost.

Last night I had a frozen "Mediterranean inspired" veggie pizza, I put an anchovy fillet in the middle of each slice!

For its small size anchovies pack a big nutritional punch and are popular in the Mediterranean diet.

1 member likes this
#338530 Nov 18th a 04:59 AM
by TatumAH
TatumAH
Sue Chefs! mad

TAT
1 member likes this
#338700 Nov 22nd a 09:15 PM
by TatumAH
TatumAH
I suspect that all the MSG, yeast, schroom and Umami chatter around here has subliminally lead us down the savory path. Yesterday while eating more "red" beans with rice I was running through masa based shortbreads that go so well with beans that reflect light around the 700 nano meter wavelengths. I found some savory corn breadish cheesy muffins, but was looking for something that didnt require baking. I found Savory Masa Corn Cakes with Green Chile, Cheese, and Lime Crema that looked like a good start for something to mix with the beans or use as layers between bean strata. Think blueberry pancakes except with beans.

I hesitat to get into the very controversial subject about the only authentic or traditional way to make cornbread, for today, but I'm feeling a bit of a deja vu re cornbread here. I will look it up and see who won.

The Hell with unsavory! Though some purrsist in leading us into temptation, which isn't so bad, grin
if only they could deliver us from EVOO! devil

I's repentin Lawd
TAT
1 member likes this
#338704 Nov 23rd a 01:15 AM
by olyve
olyve
I hesitat to get into the very controversial subject about the only authentic or traditional way to make cornbread, for today, but I'm feeling a bit of a deja vu re cornbread here. I will look it up and see who won.
Oh ok....ROTFMOL

Beans and peas are a big part of our diet. I love them! I cook almost exclusively from dried beans/peas and I like to do it in a small slow cooker. No pre soaking or fast boil. The creamiest way to make them. Anywhere from 3 hours to 6 depending on the bean.
I always keep on hand, red beans, pinto beans, navy beans, great northern bean, black beans, kidney beans, garbanzo beans (great in soups and salads) and last but no where near the least, black eyed peas, my very favorite.

I have a fantastic red beans and rice recipe....red beans, onion, celery, bell pepper, garlic, bag leaves, cayenne, Cajun seasoning (see Greger's suggestion above), parsley, and most of all sage...in my opinion, the most important. I've made it with andouille sausage and with no meat at all. (we were meat free for a long time, now we're meat less). I also might put a splash of sherry in.
I cook this in the slow cooker. Toe curling good!

Hey Tat, I grow collards year around here too. What you say, so right about wintertime collards!
1 member likes this
#338808 Nov 26th a 02:58 AM
by TatumAH
TatumAH
Originally Posted by Greger
My nieces brought me a plate from their dinner across town. I bought a turkey but it's languishing in the freezer because the only one I would share it with is somewhere on the Mediterranean aboard a cruise ship celebrating her retirement. Maybe I'll save it for Yuletide feasting, or maybe I'll break it down and do it sous vide in air fryer sized chunks. That has proven to be remarkably efficient in cooking for one or two with some leftovers. I'd do legs, wings, thighs, and breasts separately in quart bags, then make bone broth from the carcass.
That's a lot of meals in the freezer for $.49 a pound. Last month I got an 8-pound pork butt for cheap and did that...still two nice pieces left.

I was roasting the various parts removed by gratuitous over-spatchcocking, rolleyes but the low temp 325, on a rack underneath the turkey was not providing the drippings I needed for gravy and stuffing. I put the pieces parts, including the tail, into the air fryer that browned them nicely and quickly. Time being of the essence, I then took the brown parts and pressure cooked them for 10 minutes to get a very rich brown gravy stock, that worked just fine. No need to roux the day! And, no need to ask "whats for dinner?" for quite a while.

TAT
1 member likes this
#338908 Nov 28th a 12:15 AM
by logtroll
logtroll
Originally Posted by TatumAH
If you've got um, roll um said the Bipolar Bear while chomping into his Eskimo roll.
[Linked Image from 64.media.tumblr.com]
1 member likes this
#339388 Dec 10th a 02:36 AM
by Greger
Greger
Breakfast is my primary meal. I had a turkey sandwich tonight. Probably eat some nuts and berries before bed with a cup of kombucha. The diabetic struggle is real. If I eat a smaller breakfast I eat a bigger dinner.

The closing was delayed for two weeks because no appraiser wanted to drive out there...

It has since been completed and it came in fine. I haven't been told when the signings will occur but it's just a matter of days. There's a fat check looming and the ex and I are drooling with anticipation. She's getting back all the money I owe her and all she's invested in this place and my place over the last year. She's filthy rich but it's mostly invested so she'll also be getting a much-needed cash influx.

I just bought a new/slightly used powerchair...
The roommate moved in a couple days ago and I'm getting my booster shot tomorrow
And that's the news from Lake Minneola
1 member likes this
#339480 Dec 12th a 06:30 PM
by TatumAH
TatumAH
The term carbonara has always confused me.

History and Etymology for carbonara
Italian dialect (alla) carbonara, literally, in the manner of a charcoal maker

Linguini is literally little tongues

So if you take it illiterately is seems like refering to Biochar from small tongues, which could start another Q-based conspiracy about baby eating or composting Dems!

TAT
1 member likes this
#323915 Apr 6th a 05:52 PM
by Greger
Greger
In these dreary lonely times we should never forget the most important meal of the day...

Breakfast!

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Cajun style shrimp and grits, eggs laid this morning, homemade bread fried in garlic infused olive oil.
1 member likes this
#340206 Jan 26th a 08:47 AM
by pondering_it_all
pondering_it_all
She's a cutie! Funny, my wife just made some zuchinni vegetable casserole the other day. Still eating it. I made a pretty close approximation to Popeye's Red Beans & Rice. It actually came out better than Popeye's, because I added some Zatarain's Creole Seasoning and some Ham Base. No actual meat in it, other than the lard! That's the strange thing. Most of the recipes for RB&R on the internet include sausage, ham, ham hock, etc. But Popeye's just uses bacon grease! Real healthy, huh?

But what do you expect from fast food? A lot of those places fry their french fries in beef tallow. Next batch, I'm going to see if it works with olive oil instead. Soaked red beans come out perfect in the Instapot in 15 minutes. Ready to mash. So much easier than cooking them on the stove for hours, having to stir them a couple of hundred times so the bottom doesn't burn and stick.
1 member likes this
#340621 Feb 25th a 02:09 PM
by TatumAH
TatumAH

WTF is Rotaterie?
Just a speeling typo LOL

Tat
1 member likes this
#346133 Nov 10th a 12:01 AM
by TatumAH
TatumAH
Air Fryer Pork fingers, yeah I know they have cloven hooves, but chickens don't have real fingers either, but chicken fingers are generally recognized, though not anatomically correct/accurate. Aldi's sells precut 1 inch x 5-6 inch long pork strips and calls them Country Style Ribs, naturally boneless, analogous, no doubt, to boneless chicken wings!
What a world, what a world, fake food anatomy! cry
The pork "fingers" were seasoned with a dry rub, I like our local Dinosaur Bar-B-Que varieties, tonight was "Cajun Foreplay" rolleyes Spice Rub, tomorrow maybe tomorrow will be "Big Acton" Spice Rub. Then swabbed with yogurt, to glue on the bread crumbs, (some prefur Mayo), lightly sprayed with Olyve Oil, and "fryed" for 10-15 mins at 390 or whatever works with your hot air blower.

I served them with a dipping sauce to add moistness. Today was Habanero BBQ Artichoke sauce, containing Dinosaur BBQ sauce "Wango Tango", an unfortunate reference to Ted Nudegent.
For a carb, I had papadam, thin crispy lentil tortillaoids from the Indian grocery. I mentioned my ridiculous attempts at DIY home papadam to the Indian lady at check out. She very knowingly laughed, and we agreed that there was a considerable learning curve for papadam. Tortillas are a slam dunk by comparison!
Some may consider pork with Indian food sacrilegious , but I figure it is at least more Kosher than Beef/God Curry!

Got to taper back into RR with topics that don't raise my blood pressure, for now anyway. I now have to go tiger avatar hunting!
1 member likes this
#346143 Nov 10th a 05:37 AM
by pondering_it_all
pondering_it_all
There's a coincidence: I ordered a sirloin pork roast, but the market substituted pork loin chops. They always seem to substitute a much more expensive cut of essentially the same thing, when they run out. Oh well, tasty little buggers. Roasted the chops in my convection oven with steak and chop rub. Had some hot, and I'll cut the rest up (like your pork fingers) and freeze them for quick meals and sandwiches.

This my version of "prepping": Keeping a few pounds of pre-cooked chicken breasts, steak, roast pork, and ham in the freezer. Pork shoulder BBQ is good, too. I freeze it in little zip lock bags containing enough for two sandwiches. My dinner prep time is usually about 5 minutes.
1 member likes this