WE NEED YOUR HELP! Please donate to keep ReaderRant online to serve political discussion and its members. (Blue Ridge Photography pays the bills for RR).
Current Topics
A question
by perotista - 05/19/24 06:25 PM
Biden to Cancel $10,000 in Student Loan Debt
by Kaine - 05/19/24 03:27 PM
2024 Election Forum
by jgw - 05/17/24 07:45 PM
No rubbers for Trump
by Kaine - 05/16/24 02:21 PM
Marching in favor of Palestinians
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:38 PM
Yeah, Trump admits he is a pure racist
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:28 PM
Trump's base having second thoughts
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:25 PM
Watching the Supreme Court
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:07 PM
Trump: "Anti-American authoritarian wannabe
by Doug Thompson - 05/05/24 03:27 PM
Fixing/Engineer the Weather
by jgw - 05/03/24 10:52 PM
Earth Day tomorrow
by logtroll - 05/03/24 01:09 AM
Round Table for Spring 2024
by rporter314 - 04/22/24 03:13 AM
To hell with Trump and his cult
by pdx rick - 04/20/24 08:05 PM
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 1 guest and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Agnostic Politico, Jems, robertjohn, BlackCat13th, ruggedman
6,305 Registered Users
Popular Topics(Views)
10,078,397 my own book page
5,016,220 We shall overcome
4,192,796 Campaign 2016
3,792,248 Trump's Trumpet
3,015,478 3 word story game
Top Posters
pdx rick 47,284
Scoutgal 27,583
Phil Hoskins 21,134
Greger 19,831
Towanda 19,391
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
jgw 6
Kaine 1
Forum Statistics
Forums59
Topics17,089
Posts313,782
Members6,305
Most Online294
Dec 6th, 2017
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Thread Like Summary
logtroll, NW Ponderer, pdx rick
Original Post (Thread Starter)
by NW Ponderer
NW Ponderer
Vaccine Refusers Don’t Get to Dictate Terms Anymore (The Atlantic, Subscription) "People who opt out of shots shouldn’t expect their employers, health insurers, and fellow citizens to accommodate them."

I think the tide is turning in a big way, as this article notes:

"For months, institutions and companies have been drafting plans to aggressively promote vaccination or require it outright, and last week the FDA gave them license to click the “Send” button. The same day the agency granted full approval to the Pfizer COVID-19 vaccine, New York City’s public school system announced that its teachers and other employees will be required to get shots. The next day, Louisiana State University made a similar demand of its students and faculty. Within about 24 hours of the FDA move, other major employers, such as Chevron and Goldman Sachs, rolled out new vaccine mandates. In a novel twist, Delta Air Lines announced that it would impose a $200-a-month health-insurance surcharge on unvaccinated employees. Regardless of the reasons for their hesitancy, unvaccinated employees will literally have to pay for it.

What all of these decisions show is that the adults running major institutions in our society want to move forward, and they are done waiting around for vaccine refusers to change their mind. Outside of executive suites and human-resources offices, plenty of other Americans are also craving more certainty. Bars and restaurants that want to stay open are beginning to check vaccination cards—at least in states where supposedly freedom-loving lawmakers haven’t forbidden private businesses from keeping their own customers and employees safe. Couples throwing weddings are demanding that their guests upload proof of vaccination. These people disinviting their anti-vaxxer relatives are saying something important: Getting a shot to protect yourself and others from COVID-19 is both a social responsibility and the best way to hasten the end of the pandemic, and if you don’t believe that, we’re not waiting around for you to step up."

The Department of Education is stepping up, too: Education Department investigating ...ons for prohibiting school mask mandates (CNN)

"The Department's Office for Civil Rights sent letters to the chief state school officials in five states -- Iowa, Oklahoma, South Carolina, Tennessee and Utah -- notifying them of the new investigations into whether these state mask restrictions prevent students with disabilities from "safely returning to in-person education, in violation of Federal law."

Opening this kind of investigation, the department said, "does not imply that OCR has decided whether there has been a violation of a law that OCR enforces."

Investigations have not yet been opened in Florida, Texas, Arkansas, or Arizona "because those states' bans on universal indoor masking are not currently being enforced as a result of court orders or other state actions," the agency also noted in its release, adding that "the Department will continue to closely monitor those states and is prepared to take action if state leaders prevent local schools or districts from implementing universal indoor masking in schools or if the current court decisions were to be reversed."
Liked Replies
by Jeffery J. Haas
Jeffery J. Haas
Originally Posted by NW Ponderer
"CDC announces dramatic drop in annual head lice infestations in Southern United States..." About 6–12 million people, mainly children, are treated annually for head lice in the United States alone. In the UK, it is estimated that two thirds of children will experience at least one case of head lice before leaving primary school. High levels of louse infestations have also been reported from all over the world, including Australia, Denmark, France, Ireland, Israel, and Sweden. "For some reason, however, there is a low incidence of head lice amongst children of anti-vaccination activists. This is an area that we intend to study." In other respects, the southern United States remains as lousy as ever.

I think head lice should be a choice! Teachers and students have every right to keep their own lice as a personal decision and no one has the right to demand to attend schools that discriminate against people who have them. tinfoilhat LOL
2 members like this
by pondering_it_all
pondering_it_all
If I was a sociopath, I would say this is wonderful. Fewer Republicans left to clog up the works by winning elections, after many die from Covid-19. I wonder how it happened that they were manipulated into becoming a suicide cult, despite Trump pushing vaccine development, getting vaccinated himself, and telling them to get vaccinated.

Since I'm not a sociopath, I hope as the death toll mounts they will see the error of their ways. Then they can get vaccinated and live to vote again.
1 member likes this
by perotista
perotista
I find it really strange that vaccines has become political. That I don't understand. Perhaps that in itself tells how inept I am at understanding party politics. But here's the latest from Gallup.

Update: American Public Opinion and Vaccination Requirements

https://news.gallup.com/poll/354506...nt=morelink&utm_campaign=syndication

The third graph down is the breakdown by political party. From the article, poll above.

Americans' political identity is strongly related to their opinions about vaccine requirements, echoing similar partisan differences on such issues as vaccination hesitancy, mask requirements and the importance of COVID-19 as the nation's top problem. Very large majorities of Democrats are in favor of each of the five vaccination requirements tested, while slightly smaller, but still substantial, majorities of Republicans are opposed to each. Independents are more evenly divided, although majorities of independents are opposed to four of the situations, with a precise 50/50 split in opinions about requiring vaccinations for air travel.

Just check out the third graph, the number of independents opposed is another big surprise to me.
1 member likes this
by pondering_it_all
pondering_it_all
DeathSantis

I thought of that nickname last night in the shower. We need to make sure every is calling him that, kind of like the santorum campaign.
1 member likes this
by Mellowicious
Mellowicious
I found it. Actually, they’re not talking about intelligence or mental stability over time.They’re talking about relief from stress and worry after vaccination.

I agree with that wholeheartedly; I felt much less worried after my first vaccination, even more after the second. That’s why delta was such a disappointment; it took away much of that sense of relief. For a month or so I didn’t wear a mask; now I wear one.

There’s a link to a summary of the study. If I can find it again I’ll come back and post it.

And here it is:
https://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0256406
1 member likes this
by pondering_it_all
pondering_it_all
Who knew social distancing and masks would be so effective against the flu! We hardly had any flu cases this past year.

I wish all manufacturers of ivermectin in every form would put a big warning label on the package: VERY DANGEROUS FOR PREGNANT WOMEN

I don't think that is well known.
1 member likes this
by NW Ponderer
NW Ponderer
It turns out, the vaccine refusers have control over Florida, anyway:
Florida Gov. DeSantis Taps A New Surgeon General Who Doesn't Support Vaccine Mandates (npr)
"This idea that people don't get to make their own decisions on issues of health related to their own personal health is wrong," Ladapo said, answering questions from reporters. "Vaccines are up to the person, there's nothing special about them compared to any other preventive measure."

Now, that's real sciency.

'Fear is done': Florida's new surgeon general outspoken critic of COVID lockdowns, mandates (Tallahassee Democrat)
"Dr. Joseph Ladapo — a UCLA medical professor who has published controversial articles about “COVID mania” and is an outspoken critic of lockdowns, mask and vaccine mandates and other mitigation measures — has been named as Florida's new surgeon general, Gov. Ron DeSantis announced Tuesday.

Ladapo, who was hired Monday at the University of Florida College of Medicine, said he wants to usher in a new era of battling the COVID-19 pandemic in Florida, one that sets a model for other states to follow."

Politics above medicine.

DeSantis names doctor opposed to masks and vaccine mandates as Florida’s surgeon general (Guardian)
"A medical professor who is opposed to mask and vaccine mandates, attacked concern over the pandemic as “Covid mania” and likened the eating of fruit and vegetables to the benefits of vaccination has been named as Florida’s new surgeon general."

"He has said that removing children from school is harmful to public health and is a signatory of something called the Barrington declaration, which argues that “those who are not vulnerable should immediately be allowed to resume life as normal”.

Ladapo has so far not outlined any measures to help prevent Covid deaths in Florida but said he is discussing recommendations with his new team."

Sorry, Florida. It's just going to get worse.
1 member likes this
by pondering_it_all
pondering_it_all
Of course, if Daddy dies in the ICU with a million dollar hospital bill, the family will lose the farm anyway. But we'll just take this horse dewormer instead of getting vaccinated or signing up for highly-subsidized ObamaCare. Jebuz will protect us!
1 member likes this