WE NEED YOUR HELP! Please donate to keep ReaderRant online to serve political discussion and its members. (Blue Ridge Photography pays the bills for RR).
Current Topics
Biden to Cancel $10,000 in Student Loan Debt
by pdx rick - 05/19/24 10:52 PM
A question
by perotista - 05/19/24 08:06 PM
2024 Election Forum
by jgw - 05/17/24 07:45 PM
No rubbers for Trump
by Kaine - 05/16/24 02:21 PM
Marching in favor of Palestinians
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:38 PM
Yeah, Trump admits he is a pure racist
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:28 PM
Trump's base having second thoughts
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:25 PM
Watching the Supreme Court
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:07 PM
Trump: "Anti-American authoritarian wannabe
by Doug Thompson - 05/05/24 03:27 PM
Fixing/Engineer the Weather
by jgw - 05/03/24 10:52 PM
Earth Day tomorrow
by logtroll - 05/03/24 01:09 AM
Round Table for Spring 2024
by rporter314 - 04/22/24 03:13 AM
To hell with Trump and his cult
by pdx rick - 04/20/24 08:05 PM
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 3 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Agnostic Politico, Jems, robertjohn, BlackCat13th, ruggedman
6,305 Registered Users
Popular Topics(Views)
10,078,574 my own book page
5,016,696 We shall overcome
4,192,797 Campaign 2016
3,792,248 Trump's Trumpet
3,015,949 3 word story game
Top Posters
pdx rick 47,286
Scoutgal 27,583
Phil Hoskins 21,134
Greger 19,831
Towanda 19,391
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
jgw 6
Kaine 1
Forum Statistics
Forums59
Topics17,089
Posts313,787
Members6,305
Most Online294
Dec 6th, 2017
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Thread Like Summary
Jeffery J. Haas, NW Ponderer, pdx rick
Original Post (Thread Starter)
#335481 09/02/2021 2:20 PM
by Mellowicious
Mellowicious
Originally Posted by olyve
Sometimes my head just spins....

I always watch World News with David Muir in the evening.
Tonight back to back stories.....new laws essentially banning all abortions in Texas.... next the number of lawsuits over mask mandates.
Cripe. Why can't I drink and drive?

Not all of these thoughts are serious. Flip a coin if you can’t tell for sure.

A suggested change:
A new addendum to the law has been proposed: Thoughts of a pregnancy as “unwanted,” when occurring within 1/25 of a mile of a high school, middle school, college, preschool, or church, require the crossing guard to file a lawsuit within 24 hours.

Granted I haven’t listened to the news all that closely (it feels las though I’ve listened to abortion arguments all my life — oh, wait, I guess I have) butI haven’t heard much discussion of the other half of the pregnancy “starter kit.” (“Sperm donor” sounded too ol, “father” maybe a little too optimistic.)

What happens to the man, in the case of an unwanted pregnancy? Is he rewarded? Punished? Ignored? Sterilized?
Liked Replies
#335491 Sep 2nd a 06:16 PM
by olyve
olyve
It's going to get interesting all over the country. Talk about paving the way!

Just like all the lit fires on all the voting suppressions laws.

There's not even any pretense anymore.
1 member likes this
#335492 Sep 2nd a 08:28 PM
by pondering_it_all
pondering_it_all
I think this means a huge increase in pregnancy test sales in Texas. As long as it's been less than 6 weeks, women are free to abort at will. The problem is most women don't even know they are pregnant at 6 weeks. So if they don't want to have a baby, they need to take a pregnancy test every month. They work about 12 days after implantation, so once a month is enough. That would give them several weeks to get a legal abortion. All Biden needs to do is make sure every woman of child bearing age who is not trying to get pregnant, has those pregnancy tests and RU486 available by mail. I see 50 packs of test strips on Amazon for 32 cents a piece!
1 member likes this
#335498 Sep 2nd a 10:02 PM
by Mellowicious
Mellowicious
Originally Posted by pondering_it_all
…they need to take a pregnancy test every month.

At $14 to $20 for 2-pack (CVS)

They work about 12 days after implantation, so once a month is enough. That would give them several weeks to get a legal abortion.

Pondering, I thought your arithmetic was better than that.

Say you take the test at the beginning of the month - June 1,.That means it will detect a pregnancy prior to May 19 Any pregnancy beginning after that won’t be detected in this month’s test, and by the time the next one rolls around, you’re pretty much at 6 weeks.

Let’s play with that timeline a little more. What happens after that test?

1)two days, probably, to be stunned by the result
2j (contrary to those who believe this is a snap judgment) 4 to 5 days to make a decision, particularly of the partner is to be consulted, or if the pregnant woman is a minor or there are other complicating circumstances.
3) Two days to find an an out-of-state clinic that can see you in time (How long does it take you to get in to see a dentist?)
4) 4 days to find the money for transportation, childcare If you have children, and for the procedure itself
5) At least st one day to get time off work at short notice.

If you’re going out of state you have more time. But all off the times I’ve listed are very optimistic times. And remember items 3, 4, and 5 have to take place outside working or class hours, so they are underestimated here as well. If you can find a way to get to the clinic, and the funds for the procedure (with minimal or no healthcare) min four days, I know some non-profits who could use those skill. Of course, if already have the money, it’s a lot easier.

Finally, understand that the younger the woman, the longer it will probably take for all of this - from understanding she’s pregnant to figuring out what to do. It requires money an serious problem-solving skills.

The procedure itself is not a major operation, but when restrictions are added things change.
1 member likes this
#335502 Sep 3rd a 12:19 AM
by olyve
olyve
I think this means a huge increase in pregnancy test sales in Texas. As long as it's been less than 6 weeks, women are free to abort at will. The problem is most women don't even know they are pregnant at 6 weeks. So if they don't want to have a baby, they need to take a pregnancy test every month. They work about 12 days after implantation, so once a month is enough. That would give them several weeks to get a legal abortion. All Biden needs to do is make sure every woman of child bearing age who is not trying to get pregnant, has those pregnancy tests and RU486 available by mail. I see 50 packs of test strips on Amazon for 32 cents a piece!

Also a huge amount of unwanted children born that go into foster care with no prospects on so many levels. Also, a huge increase in teen deaths or permant disability due to "home" rememdies".

Republicans don't want to take responsiblity for them once they're born....sustanance, health care, education, a future.
What about the 12 year old who is raped by her father and he's her only parent at the time?

I dare a Republican to try to talk to me about "pro life" issues.
I'm pro choice for the sake of pro life when it's viable. Not only for the mother but for the baby.
1 member likes this
#335609 Sep 4th a 08:21 PM
by logtroll
logtroll
Words like “slippery slope” and “opens the door to a massive clusterfick of unintended consequences” come to mind.

Could be a lot of fun getting that sorted out procedurally.

Of course, the immediate damage is the fear factor for providers and the subsequent shrinkage of services.
1 member likes this
#335541 Sep 4th a 12:52 AM
by Mellowicious
Mellowicious
Re: young girls: half of American women who get abortions are 25 years old or older.
1 member likes this
#335542 Sep 4th a 01:05 AM
by Mellowicious
Mellowicious
Ps: you’re referring to RU-486, a medical abortion. I’d do some research on it but all my browser is bringing up is “pro-life” stuff and I’m not going to wade through it.
1 member likes this
#335557 Sep 4th a 04:17 AM
by pdx rick
pdx rick
The NAZIs also wanted their neighbors to snitch on each other. Funny how Christian Conservatism and NAZIs have so much in common.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
1 member likes this
#335596 Sep 4th a 07:04 PM
by Mellowicious
Mellowicious
The law,as I nderstand it, encourages others to sue. I don’t know how they defined standing; I’ll try to look it up. Apparently the6 think they’ll get a lot of ex-boyfriends.

I’ll do some reading.
1 member likes this
#335824 Sep 10th a 03:11 PM
by Greger
Greger
---Ain't nuthin gits some Texans quite so excited as a chance to play "lawman".

It's true! I seen it on teevee the way their eyes lights up when the sheriff starts talkin' deputizin'!
1 member likes this
#335898 Sep 13th a 03:27 PM
by Mellowicious
Mellowicious
Log - don’t know if this is what you’re looking for; it’s only wiki - but it has some good info on treaties and laws re: fetal rights in various countries.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fetal_rights

I also saw reference to a Supreme Court decision from 2018 that looked interesting but then I clicked past it. I’m going back to look for it. (If I’m not back in 20 minutes send the St Bernards)
1 member likes this
#335964 Sep 14th a 08:37 PM
by pondering_it_all
pondering_it_all
Ova and sperm have the potential to become human beings, so I doubt that definition is useful. The extremes of "viability" seem to be Every Sperm Is Sacred and the Jewish definition of graduation from law or medical school.
1 member likes this
#335967 Sep 14th a 10:04 PM
by Greger
Greger
"Viable" is when the thing can be snatched from the womb and made to survive.

But doctors know now when a foetus isn't going to be viable at any age.

The Texas law completely disrespects science in favor of religion and that don't square with me.

There's nothing special about babies. Almost anybody can make one.
1 member likes this
#335971 Sep 15th a 12:45 AM
by Mellowicious
Mellowicious
Ova and sperm have the potential to become human beings, so I doubt that definition is useful.

Actually, I have an objection to that. Neither a sperm nor an egg has the potential to become anything, until/unless they are combined at the right time and place.
1 member likes this
#336221 Sep 22nd a 10:12 PM
by Greger
Greger
Smart people are saying that Conservatives shot themselves in the foot with this one.

Smart people have been saying that for years, yet they continue to walk among us, feet unscathed.
1 member likes this
#336058 Sep 17th a 09:23 PM
by Mellowicious
Mellowicious
The whole question of legal/illegal abortion is only about 150 years old. Before the. It was kinda like legal/illegal immigration — no question of legality applied.
1 member likes this
#336172 Sep 21st a 02:09 PM
by pdx rick
pdx rick
A few things have happened on this issue the past several days.

• A San Antoinio Doctor admintted in WaPo to performing an abortion after this Law was signed, stating he cared more for his patient's health, than the law.
  • An Arkasas disbarred lawyer who has a history of shenanigans and is in severe debt is suing the doctor to at least get the $10K...because he needs the money.
  • An pro-choice man is suing the doctor to get the case into court to show that the case is unconstitutional.

Many anti-abortioninsts are concerned that their "lawsuit-proof" law might not be so lawsuit proof. Hmm

Smart people are saying that Conservatives shot themselves in the foot with this one. laugh
1 member likes this