WE NEED YOUR HELP! Please donate to keep ReaderRant online to serve political discussion and its members. (Blue Ridge Photography pays the bills for RR).
Current Topics
Biden to Cancel $10,000 in Student Loan Debt
by pdx rick - 05/19/24 08:21 PM
A question
by perotista - 05/19/24 08:06 PM
2024 Election Forum
by jgw - 05/17/24 07:45 PM
No rubbers for Trump
by Kaine - 05/16/24 02:21 PM
Marching in favor of Palestinians
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:38 PM
Yeah, Trump admits he is a pure racist
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:28 PM
Trump's base having second thoughts
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:25 PM
Watching the Supreme Court
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:07 PM
Trump: "Anti-American authoritarian wannabe
by Doug Thompson - 05/05/24 03:27 PM
Fixing/Engineer the Weather
by jgw - 05/03/24 10:52 PM
Earth Day tomorrow
by logtroll - 05/03/24 01:09 AM
Round Table for Spring 2024
by rporter314 - 04/22/24 03:13 AM
To hell with Trump and his cult
by pdx rick - 04/20/24 08:05 PM
Who's Online Now
1 members (1 invisible), 2 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Agnostic Politico, Jems, robertjohn, BlackCat13th, ruggedman
6,305 Registered Users
Popular Topics(Views)
10,078,410 my own book page
5,016,321 We shall overcome
4,192,796 Campaign 2016
3,792,248 Trump's Trumpet
3,015,482 3 word story game
Top Posters
pdx rick 47,284
Scoutgal 27,583
Phil Hoskins 21,134
Greger 19,831
Towanda 19,391
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
jgw 6
Kaine 1
Forum Statistics
Forums59
Topics17,089
Posts313,784
Members6,305
Most Online294
Dec 6th, 2017
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Thread Like Summary
Jeffery J. Haas, logtroll, olyve, pdx rick
Original Post (Thread Starter)
#336351 09/26/2021 3:04 AM
by Mellowicious
Mellowicious
We don’t have a music thread, or did I miss it?

These questions grew out (way out) of a discussion I wanted to have about great songs and great songwriters. Being an aspiring songwriter himself he didn’t really want to discuss it.

So I have a couple of questions I’m asking. But first - should we eliminate Leon Russell and the Dead, jus5 to make Jeffery and Olive dig deeper?

Try to limit yourself to two answers for this round. I refer to songs but classical music is included

1. Name one (or two) songs that stop you in your tracks
2. Name one (or two) songs you like that are totally out of your normal genre
3. Name a song “everybody” loves that leaves you cold
4. Name a song (or two) that consistently lightens your heart and makes you feel good.

Okay, here goes:
1. “The Boxer,” Simon & Garfunkel, studio version only
“Wichita Lineman,” written by Jimmy Webb, performed by Glen Campbell
2. “One True Vine,” Mavis Staples
(See also “Wichita Lineman)
3. I should probably change my password after this but - John Lennon’s “Imagine”
4. Suzy Ragsdale’s “Best Regards” is on just about every playlist I have, and heads up my “hit the highway for awhile” list.

Anybody wanna play? I’m thinking next round should be “Songs you love to hate/hate to love,” and or “pop songs that take you back to childhood.”
Liked Replies
#336883 Oct 6th a 04:00 PM
by Ken Condon
Ken Condon
Now thats a tough one Rick. Critiquing guitar styles etc is difficult for me. Personally I just play acoustic guitar and am a simple chord chunker at best.

That being said I think Edge is amazing for the notes (and sometimes chords) that he doesn't play. He has a spare style that works perfectly with Bono’s vocals and the rest of U2. That combined with the amazing tone he achieves through his electric wizardry is simply something to behold. He is not a shredder as say Eddie Van Halen was but rather more of a melody maker. Miles Davis has a quote that I think sums it up best:

“Don't play what's there; play what's not there.”
2 members like this
#336480 Sep 29th a 12:09 AM
by olyve
olyve

This is not my style (oh shoot everything is my style) but it makes me grin and sometimes even dance a little. I love each and everyone of these guys
1 member likes this
#336482 Sep 29th a 12:15 AM
by NW Ponderer
NW Ponderer
Originally Posted by Mellowicious
1. Name one (or two) songs that stop you in your tracks
2. Name one (or two) songs you like that are totally out of your normal genre
3. Name a song “everybody” loves that leaves you cold
4. Name a song (or two) that consistently lightens your heart and makes you feel good.
1) Unchained melody - Righteous Brothers
Don't Stop Believing - Journey
2) I hope you dance - Lee Ann Womack (Not much into country)
3) My Way - Frank Sinatra. The performance is great, the words suck. (What a bunch of narcissism)
4) What a Wonderful World - Louis Armstrong
Somewhere over the Rainbow - especially by Israel "IZ" Kamakawiwoʻole
and (cheating) America the Beautiful - Ray Charles
1 member likes this
#336583 Sep 30th a 10:38 PM
by Ken Condon
Ken Condon
I have not really completed my homework assignment but this song falls into your number one category. It’s a song that was very popular in Hawaii in the early to mid-1970s. Sung in English but still with that old style Hawaiian slack key style playing.

And that “The Baldy” was lovely Loggy:

1 member likes this
#336605 Oct 1st a 03:35 AM
by Ken Condon
Ken Condon
Attempted humor:

Q: Why would it be ill-advised for an alcoholic older roofing crew to be reinfected with the chickenpox virus?

A: Because then it would be likely that they could suffer from both the shakes and the shingles at the same time.

Lo siento……..
1 member likes this
#336458 Sep 28th a 10:55 AM
by logtroll
logtroll
You be the judge.

My high school counselor was an early member of the group.
1 member likes this
#336793 Oct 4th a 03:00 PM
by Mellowicious
Mellowicious
Or, at least, the Wrecking Crew is. Those guys were everywhere.
1 member likes this
#336449 Sep 28th a 12:02 AM
by logtroll
logtroll
If only Christianity was more like this song…

1 member likes this
#336544 Sep 30th a 03:17 AM
by logtroll
logtroll
1 member likes this
#336590 Oct 1st a 01:05 AM
by Ken Condon
Ken Condon
Indeed Mel!

And coming in at number three is the song I have absolutely despised from the day I first heard it. Not only are the lyrics insanely sappy but the instrumentals are beyond pathetic. Especially with that warbling lead guitar doing his thang in the background. I present you with:

1 member likes this
#336592 Oct 1st a 01:42 AM
by Ken Condon
Ken Condon
Hulk want smash when Hulk hears this…….travesty.
1 member likes this
#336794 Oct 4th a 03:04 PM
by Jeffery J. Haas
Jeffery J. Haas
Originally Posted by olyve

This is not my style (oh shoot everything is my style) but it makes me grin and sometimes even dance a little. I love each and everyone of these guys

I love The Traveling Wilburys, even though thinking about them makes me get a little choked up.
Losing everyone except Dylan (knock on wood) is a little tough to take.
Roy Orbison, George Harrison and most recently Tom Petty, a little too tough to take sometimes.
I wanted all of them to be right there with Keith Richard, almost immortal.

Did any of you guys ever read what Dylan said about Roy Orbison's singing?
All I can say is "WOW!" .... check this out!

“I was always fishing for something on the radio. Just like trains and bells, it was part of the soundtrack of my life.
I moved the dial up and down and Roy Orbison's voice came blasting out of the small speakers.
His new song, "Running Scared," exploded into the room.
Orbison, though, transcended all the genres - folk, country, rock and roll or just about anything. His stuff mixed all the styles and some that hadn't even been invented yet. He could sound mean and nasty on one line and then sing in a falsetto voice like Frankie Valli in the next. With Roy, you didn't know if you were listening to mariachi or opera. He kept you on your toes. With him, it was all about fat and blood. He sounded like he was singing from an Olympian mountaintop and he meant business.
One of his previous songs, "Ooby Dooby" was deceptively simple, but Roy had progressed. He was now singing his compositions in three or four octaves that made you want to drive your car over a cliff.
He sang like a professional criminal.
Typically, he'd start out in some low, barely audible range, stay there a while and then astonishingly slip into histrionics. His voice could jar a corpse, always leave you muttering to yourself something like, "Man, I don't believe it."
His songs had songs within songs.
They shifted from major to minor key without any logic. Orbison was deadly serious - no pollywog and no fledgling juvenile.
There wasn't anything else on the radio like him.”
1 member likes this
#336823 Oct 5th a 10:30 AM
by logtroll
logtroll
1 member likes this
#336800 Oct 4th a 03:48 PM
by Jeffery J. Haas
Jeffery J. Haas
Originally Posted by olyve
Mellow, I LOVE Bob Dylan. He is one of the finest song writers Ever in my opinion.

May I please share a fascinating story about a friend's serendipitous encounter with Dylan?
I promise your jaw will drop.

Here's Shawn Casey O'Brien of the LA punk band "The Cripples" talking about the day Dylan picked him up hitchhiking.

He also touches on being picked to contribute songs to the soundtrack for the movie "Cruising".

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
1 member likes this
#336835 Oct 5th a 04:38 PM
by Mellowicious
Mellowicious
From the post of Dylan telling about Roy Orbison: “He sings like a professional criminal.”

That’s what I love about Dylan. I’m not sure exactly what he means but he said it so perfectly it just doesn’t matter.
1 member likes this
#336833 Oct 5th a 03:56 PM
by Ken Condon
Ken Condon
Speaking of clichés how about a John Prine song made up entirely of clichés:

1 member likes this
#336788 Oct 4th a 02:39 PM
by Jeffery J. Haas
Jeffery J. Haas
Originally Posted by Ken Condon
Minnie Ripperton!

So that’s the song I was trying to remember with that high-pitched little wailing shriek she does. I simply could not remember who sang it nor the name of the song so thanks Mellow. Is it one of my favorites?

I shall leave you in suspense…….

Minnie Ripperton was one of the original stable of artists signed by Leon's SHELTER RECORDS label and she was one of the first to record at his "Church Studio" in Tulsa! 😍
1 member likes this
#336870 Oct 6th a 03:38 AM
by pdx rick
pdx rick
I like one Deep Purple song: smile

1 member likes this
#336872 Oct 6th a 03:43 AM
by logtroll
logtroll
1 member likes this
#337092 Oct 12th a 12:29 AM
by Ken Condon
Ken Condon
Good one Logrhythm. But perhaps this too:

1 member likes this
#336933 Oct 7th a 10:26 PM
by Ken Condon
Ken Condon
Here is one of my guilty pleasures. Don’t fall over Jeff!

I don’t know how many of you out there are aware but Karen Carpenter started out as a drummer and she loved to play her drums. But the producers/managers wanted her out front as a pretty vocalist, so they nixed the drums.

1 member likes this
#338615 Nov 20th a 09:13 PM
by olyve
olyve
laughed outloud at:
Originally Posted by pdx rick
I heard this track last night in the car while waiting for my package to be delivered at the agreed-upon designated pick-up spot.
LOL
1 member likes this
#338661 Nov 22nd a 04:50 AM
by Ken Condon
Ken Condon
OK you phuggerz. I dare you to listen to this thing all the way through. These folks are musical heroes of mine from a long while back. Nobody plays like this anymore:

1 member likes this
#339406 Dec 10th a 06:16 PM
by TatumAH
TatumAH
This is excerpted from an email I just wrote to my friend who was standing in line with me to see Otis Redding, only 54 years ago tonight, when they came out and announced his death in Lake Monona only a few miles away.

TAT

This is clearly what we expected on Dec 10, 1967, only 54 years ago today, but tragically never happened! A surreal blast from the past!

Otis Redding: The Crown Prince of Soul Is Dead. The singer dies in a plane crash at 26 years old

I recently stumbled onto a RollingStone article about the writing and recording of "Dock of the Bay" that has much more detail than most want, but I red it anyway.
I would have sent you quotes from the lynx but I exhausted my free access before the paywall blocked me.

Dock of the bay story

We did see a number of imitators of Otis doing Tenderness, but they just wernt quite up to it!
1 member likes this
#341102 Mar 12th a 12:06 PM
by logtroll
logtroll
1 member likes this