WE NEED YOUR HELP! Please donate to keep ReaderRant online to serve political discussion and its members. (Blue Ridge Photography pays the bills for RR).
Current Topics
Biden to Cancel $10,000 in Student Loan Debt
by pdx rick - 05/19/24 10:52 PM
A question
by perotista - 05/19/24 08:06 PM
2024 Election Forum
by jgw - 05/17/24 07:45 PM
No rubbers for Trump
by Kaine - 05/16/24 02:21 PM
Marching in favor of Palestinians
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:38 PM
Yeah, Trump admits he is a pure racist
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:28 PM
Trump's base having second thoughts
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:25 PM
Watching the Supreme Court
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:07 PM
Trump: "Anti-American authoritarian wannabe
by Doug Thompson - 05/05/24 03:27 PM
Fixing/Engineer the Weather
by jgw - 05/03/24 10:52 PM
Earth Day tomorrow
by logtroll - 05/03/24 01:09 AM
Round Table for Spring 2024
by rporter314 - 04/22/24 03:13 AM
To hell with Trump and his cult
by pdx rick - 04/20/24 08:05 PM
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 3 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Agnostic Politico, Jems, robertjohn, BlackCat13th, ruggedman
6,305 Registered Users
Popular Topics(Views)
10,078,574 my own book page
5,016,696 We shall overcome
4,192,797 Campaign 2016
3,792,248 Trump's Trumpet
3,015,949 3 word story game
Top Posters
pdx rick 47,286
Scoutgal 27,583
Phil Hoskins 21,134
Greger 19,831
Towanda 19,391
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
jgw 6
Kaine 1
Forum Statistics
Forums59
Topics17,089
Posts313,787
Members6,305
Most Online294
Dec 6th, 2017
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Thread Like Summary
Jeffery J. Haas, NW Ponderer
Original Post (Thread Starter)
by Doug Thompson
Doug Thompson
This is a sad day that I knew would come, but one that I never wanted to face. ReaderRant will shut down on Saturday, Feb. 26. I had to come to the decision after realizing that I could not keep it running with the cutbacks in web operations that are a discouraging fact of life in today's profit is all that matters environment. The service where I relocated Capitol Hill Blue says it cannot handle a discussion forum program, and I cannot afford to use another service or server just for it.

RR has been part of CHB since shortly after the site started in 1994. It has hosted thousands of members and had a lot of good discussion over much of the past two decades. I think those of you have kept it running in these later years when I have been too much of an absent landlord. You deserve the thanks of all of us. I have been away too long, and my time left of this earth is now too short.

I will back up all the data and files from RR with the hope that someone might one day want to revive it or archive online somewhere. My daughter may keep CHB going after I am gone. A couple of universities in Virginia are talking with us about archiving my collection of writings, photographs and video work and RR could be part of it.

My thanks, so much, to all of you for what you have done to keep this going for so long. I wish it could have continued.

Doug
Liked Replies
by logtroll
logtroll
Haven't been very active here lately, most haven't I guess. But I share the universal sentiment that all of you are regarded as friends in one way or another. I've met three of you in person, and have always wanted to go visit Greger, to eat his cooking and enjoy the company a real grounded native philosopher.

I'm more short on time than at any other period of my life, but RR is a rock to come back to often. I'd chip in, too, if that was the ticket.
2 members like this
by pdx rick
pdx rick
Originally Posted by Jeffery J. Haas
[I'd gladly donate monthly to keep The Rant going if I thought most everyone else would, but obviously the more Ranters, the easier it would be.
It's like the vanpool - the more the riders, the less the fare. smile
1 member likes this
by Jeffery J. Haas
Jeffery J. Haas
This is heartbreaking news. Capitol Hill Blue's Reader Rant was my first foray into online political forums.
I'd seen a couple of email listservs before that but nothing like the Rant.
I never expected (at that time) to become so attached to everyone here and this feels like losing family all over again.

I used to be "Checkerboard Strangler" here until real names became the option to pick, but I am still Checkers elsewhere on other
forums. I hope I can find all you good people.

But most of all, I want to extend my sincere thanks and appreciation to Doug for the most enlightening journey of my political life.
I think I would have been an uninformed lost soul had it not been for Doug's hard work here at CHB-RR.
Now I'm going to feel lost, and rootless.

But I will be around and easy to find.
I hope the rest of you, including Honcho Doug, will be too.

I'm out of words to express my feelings, all too common with me these days...my mushy COVID brain isn't able to
make my grief flow to the keyboard the way I want it to.
I want to stay with all of you somehow, this is not the kind of thing where I see it as "Oh well, nice chatting with ya" and then
it all disappears.
1 member likes this
by NW Ponderer
NW Ponderer
Originally Posted by pdx rick
Getting back on topic, what are we all going to do to stay in touch when the Rant goes away?

Can't us Ranters find a hosting site for RR? It's not like we get a gazillion posts and eat up data and storage usage. Hmm Mebbe we can even partner with Doug so that articles on CHB get discussed here - thereby creating cross-over Ranters.. Then RR and CHB both can continue on. smile

There is no reason why these legacy sites should go away - just pass the torch. laugh

A lot of online forums have a "thermometer style" funding portal on their front page.
One of the popular forums I go to asks for $290 a month to pay for their servers, and they seem to meet it with ease every month.
The little "funding thermometer" shows where they are at. When they reach the $290 the whole thing goes away till the first of the next month.
I've even tossed a ten spot at them once in a while.

I'd gladly donate monthly to keep The Rant going if I thought most everyone else would, but obviously the more Ranters, the easier it would be.

I have been an infrequent contributor for some time, and greatly regret it. This is by far the best discussion site I've ever been involved in, which is why I was willing to agree to be a Moderator all those decades ago, now.

I have had conniptions the last couple of times there was a hiccup on the server - I follow, even when I don't post. I am in the process of setting up a website for my family. I might consider the same process for us, here, but it would take some pretty quick manipulation to get it set up before Saturday! I just have a hard time thinking of y'all not being a part of my life as you have been for nearly half of it.

For those of you who might be interested, I'm going to do something dangerous and post an e-mail here for communicating. ANWGuy2d@gmail.com. I don't know how we might share the registration list or set up an announcement for invitations, given some pretty serious privacy concerns, but given the relatively small membership at present, I think we might be able to figure something out.

I am not a site administrator of any kind, and I have no idea how big the archives are, but I can see the prospect of at least having a mail group for the most die-hard of us. I know the administrators, especially Doug, have taken the bulk of the labor in keeping the Rant going, and it is tremendously appreciated.
1 member likes this
by Doug Thompson
Doug Thompson
[So should I just go through the "Donate Button" then you can refuse the one that's got the hold on it?]

The donation came right through. I asked them to refund the original amount and I was told that it could not be done until the hold clears. It is supposed to expire 48 hours after it was posted, so it should clear Monday afternoon and I will send a refund through when it does.

OK with you? You been so much help, I don't want to abuse it.

Doug
1 member likes this