WE NEED YOUR HELP! Please donate to keep ReaderRant online to serve political discussion and its members. (Blue Ridge Photography pays the bills for RR).
Current Topics
Biden to Cancel $10,000 in Student Loan Debt
by pdx rick - 05/19/24 08:21 PM
A question
by perotista - 05/19/24 08:06 PM
2024 Election Forum
by jgw - 05/17/24 07:45 PM
No rubbers for Trump
by Kaine - 05/16/24 02:21 PM
Marching in favor of Palestinians
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:38 PM
Yeah, Trump admits he is a pure racist
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:28 PM
Trump's base having second thoughts
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:25 PM
Watching the Supreme Court
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:07 PM
Trump: "Anti-American authoritarian wannabe
by Doug Thompson - 05/05/24 03:27 PM
Fixing/Engineer the Weather
by jgw - 05/03/24 10:52 PM
Earth Day tomorrow
by logtroll - 05/03/24 01:09 AM
Round Table for Spring 2024
by rporter314 - 04/22/24 03:13 AM
To hell with Trump and his cult
by pdx rick - 04/20/24 08:05 PM
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 1 guest and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Agnostic Politico, Jems, robertjohn, BlackCat13th, ruggedman
6,305 Registered Users
Popular Topics(Views)
10,078,412 my own book page
5,016,339 We shall overcome
4,192,796 Campaign 2016
3,792,248 Trump's Trumpet
3,015,482 3 word story game
Top Posters
pdx rick 47,285
Scoutgal 27,583
Phil Hoskins 21,134
Greger 19,831
Towanda 19,391
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
jgw 6
Kaine 1
Forum Statistics
Forums59
Topics17,089
Posts313,785
Members6,305
Most Online294
Dec 6th, 2017
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Thread Like Summary
Jeffery J. Haas, NW Ponderer, TatumAH
Original Post (Thread Starter)
by NW Ponderer
NW Ponderer
Ukraine: How might the war end? Five scenarios (BBC )
The BBC piece provides 5 scenarios - and avoids the 6th. Short War; Long war; European War; Diplomatic solution; Putin ouster- but ignores the possibility of WW3.

Their conclusion is hopeful: "These scenarios are not mutually exclusive - some of each could combine to produce different outcomes. But however this conflict plays out, the world has changed. It will not return to the status quo ante. Russia's relationship with the outside world will be different. European attitudes to security will be transformed. And the liberal, international rules-based order might just have rediscovered what it was for in the first place."

Personally, I don't think there is any sugarcoat for this: Europe is at war, and as long as Putin is in place, peace is unlikely. What say y'all?
Liked Replies
by Jeffery J. Haas
Jeffery J. Haas
Originally Posted by chunkstyle
Ukraine had become a defacto member of NATO.

Can't believe I have to say this, but words actually have meanings.
There is no "de facto" except in the mind of Putin, who is approaching the point where he's just about
ready to say that ANYTHING short of falling down in abject fealty at his feet constitues an act of war against him.

Someone in Ukraine said the WORD "NATO" and Putin is having a rage-gasm over it.

Except, the truth is, you're either a member of NATO or you're not.
If Ukraine WAS a NATO member, the amount of time needed to set up a no-fly zone would be less than 24 hours.
If they were a NATO member, then NATO would already be IN COUNTRY...they're not.

You don't get to just say stuff and suddenly it's true.
Ukraine isn't a NATO member.
It's not even in the EU, although that is NOW probably a done deal but that's Putin's fault.

Look, he's probably going to wind up GETTING total control over his "now independent" Donetsk and Luhansk
oblasts, but it's going to cost him way more than before the invasion.
He's probably not going to get much else...had he held off, he might have gotten a better deal.
The more he digs his heels in, the more the entire free world resists.

I really don't expect you to change your views on anything, but know this:

This isn't just America taking a stand anymore...it never really was in the first place.
A cursory look at all of Europe should prove that point.
It's not even just about America's military either, or Europe's.
It's about the PEOPLE, and again, a cursory look at the people's reactions all over Europe should prove that point.

By going full tilt on Ukraine, Putin has galvanized public opinion against him.
He's NEVER going to see a return to even grudging acceptance.

That's not even me talking, it's what everyone in the free world is SEEING...right here...right now.
1 member likes this
by Jeffery J. Haas
Jeffery J. Haas
Meh..

We’ve been murdering people all the time. OK, Ukranians are white, sure, that’s unsettling to many but how is what he’s doing (on his own border mind you) so different than what we’ve been getting away with?

When your backing the side that has the support of the fascists, you ought to question taking sides.

The "All (or huge majority) of Ukraine consists of Nazi/antisemite/fascists" theory is beginning to sound a lot like "All Democrats are communists".
It reeks of conspiracy theory nut-f**kery.
1 member likes this
by Jeffery J. Haas
Jeffery J. Haas
I’ll answer your questions Jeff just to clarify my position.

Do you think that the overwhelming majority of Ukrainians are neo-Nazis and antisemites?

No, not at all. I never said that. A significant amount, however, do exist where it matters, with backing of oligarchs, to cause no end of trouble. Including scuttling the implementation of Minsk agreements. They have also been causing a good deal of violence toward the Russian aligned breakaways.

Do you think that the Ukrainian people cast a fair vote in the Zelensky election?

That’s a bit muddled. What’s a fair vote? But I do think Zelensky’s election was a crushing rebuke to the right wing elements involved in Maidan and the ultranationalist In general. His platform had broad support including better relations with Russia.

Do you think that the Ukrainian desire for sovereign self determination is valid?

Yes, in as much as their self determination does not lead to their destruction from miscalculation. There was no reason they could not have had integration with Europe in some form. Zelensky’s move to become part of NATO led his country into direct conflict with Russia. They have been played by us, IMO.

Thank you.
"A significant amount, however, do exist where it matters, with backing of oligarchs, to cause no end of trouble" ⬆⬆⬆ ALSO right here in the USA.
Incoming SecDef Lloyd Austin even made it one of his big ticket issues when he took office.
I've known about it for well over fifteen years, and I only say that because it never occurred to me prior to that.
One day we're in the car dealer picking out Karen's new van and the salesman was trying to score points because like Karen, his son is a vet.
So he breaks out the scrapbook and there's his shirtless son sporting SS lightning bolts, Aryan crosses and swastikas all over his body, a veritable inkfest.
Difficult not to puke right then and there.

Zelensky election, the people of Ukraine spoke, in numbers significant enough to show that, while they are grudgingly tolerating the neo-nazi element in their midst,
they're clearly not overjoyed and, should Zelensky prevail, I expect we will see some housecleaning.

Zelensky's "MOVE" to join NATO? Near as I can tell even the most ardent interpretation of Zelensky's intent comes with the understanding
that NATO membership was never promised. Hinted at? Maybe, but even the most starry eyed in our policy tanks recognize the difficulty of NATO against the doorstep
and I think the NATO angle is overblown and overhyped as much as ivermectin was.
And sorry but I also think Putin was going to go this route NATO or NO NATO because just the fact of a democratic Ukraine was more than he was willing to tolerate.
Donald was attempting to PULL US OUT of NATO...and Putin expected it was a fait accompli in Donnie's second term.
Now that that's gone, Vlad is super pissed.

Is the United States/NATO to blame for Euromaidan?
No.
Is the Russia-Ukraine conflict today just about balance of power?
No.
Is this a proxy fight between a democratic West (including Ukraine) and a dictatorial fascist Russian despot with dreams of global conquest?
Yes.
1 member likes this