WE NEED YOUR HELP! Please donate to keep ReaderRant online to serve political discussion and its members. (Blue Ridge Photography pays the bills for RR).
Current Topics
Biden to Cancel $10,000 in Student Loan Debt
by pdx rick - 05/19/24 10:52 PM
A question
by perotista - 05/19/24 08:06 PM
2024 Election Forum
by jgw - 05/17/24 07:45 PM
No rubbers for Trump
by Kaine - 05/16/24 02:21 PM
Marching in favor of Palestinians
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:38 PM
Yeah, Trump admits he is a pure racist
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:28 PM
Trump's base having second thoughts
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:25 PM
Watching the Supreme Court
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:07 PM
Trump: "Anti-American authoritarian wannabe
by Doug Thompson - 05/05/24 03:27 PM
Fixing/Engineer the Weather
by jgw - 05/03/24 10:52 PM
Earth Day tomorrow
by logtroll - 05/03/24 01:09 AM
Round Table for Spring 2024
by rporter314 - 04/22/24 03:13 AM
To hell with Trump and his cult
by pdx rick - 04/20/24 08:05 PM
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 3 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Agnostic Politico, Jems, robertjohn, BlackCat13th, ruggedman
6,305 Registered Users
Popular Topics(Views)
10,078,574 my own book page
5,016,696 We shall overcome
4,192,797 Campaign 2016
3,792,248 Trump's Trumpet
3,015,949 3 word story game
Top Posters
pdx rick 47,286
Scoutgal 27,583
Phil Hoskins 21,134
Greger 19,831
Towanda 19,391
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
jgw 6
Kaine 1
Forum Statistics
Forums59
Topics17,089
Posts313,787
Members6,305
Most Online294
Dec 6th, 2017
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Thread Like Summary
Jeffery J. Haas, NW Ponderer, pdx rick, perotista
Original Post (Thread Starter)
#342189 05/03/2022 2:10 AM
by pdx rick
pdx rick
Read and weep.

Also this.
Liked Replies
#342277 May 6th a 10:12 AM
by pdx rick
pdx rick
Originally Posted by pondering_it_all
Republicans are all throwing hissy fits about investigating and punishing Alito's draft leaker, but the DOJ and FBI are not, because leaking it violates no laws!
Yet nary a word from Republicans about Trump removing 15 boxes of classified documents to Mara-Largo which IS a crime.

crazy
2 members like this
#342196 May 3rd a 03:44 PM
by rporter314
rporter314
I hope you guys were not surprised. It was a foregone conclusion Roe would be gone as soon as they had a case to hear. The whole point of getting 3 ultra conservative justices was to overturn Roe.

I hope none of you think it will stop there .... they own your thoughts, and they are coming for you
1 member likes this
#342198 May 3rd a 05:31 PM
by Greger
Greger
they are coming for you

I hope they wait until the Spring pickleball and shuffleboard sign-ups are done, I'm gonna be kind of busy until then.

On the bright side, this will mobilize pro-choice voters come November and will further erode trust in the conservative supreme court. This is the sort of judicial overreach that gets noticed by independents and will affect the outcomes of elections for as long as the decision stands.
1 member likes this
#342194 May 3rd a 03:50 AM
by pdx rick
pdx rick
ISIS or American Conservative?

• Theocracy for government?
• Holy book as Science?
• Their religion is the only real one?
• Become violent when others speak against them?
• Guns solve everything?
• Accept only their own 'kind'

¯\_(?)_/¯
1 member likes this
#342191 May 3rd a 02:43 AM
by Jeffery J. Haas
Jeffery J. Haas
Originally Posted by pdx rick
Read and weep.

Also this.

abortion
contraception
premarital sex
extramarital sex
same sex relationships
sex education
interracial marriage

ALL of it is on the menu.

Their words, not mine!
The Christian Taliban.
1 member likes this
#342215 May 4th a 12:11 AM
by pdx rick
pdx rick
This ruling is an attack on privacy. THAT is what Roe is about.

Then there is the issue of “abortion is not in the Constitution.”

Welp neither are owning AR-15s and Corporations are people, my friend. Neither of those concepts are there either.

This decision will drive a blue wave in November. The House has already passed legislation to codify abortion, only the Senate is needed now. A blue wave will add more Dem Senators and we won’t need DINOs. Sinema and Manchin. THEN Joe can pass ALL of his Agenda.
1 member likes this
#342244 May 4th a 09:14 PM
by Greger
Greger
Originally Posted by NW Ponderer
Originally Posted by Greger
I don't think we'll see Roe overturned before November,
June/July, actually. "Court sessions continue until late June or early July." per the Supreme Court's webpage.

I'm making a cautious prediction that this leak will spook the court out of making such an earth-shattering decision in this session. I view it a bit like Putin's war and think they might be biting off more than they can chew.
1 member likes this
#342261 May 5th a 05:46 PM
by Greger
Greger
After decades of abortion litmus tests for candidates, what if the vast majority of voters already changed parties at some point to align with their beliefs on abortion or aligned their beliefs with their party’s increasingly firm ideological stand on the issue?

So it's locked in with the partisan voters since it's been a political football for five decades but we already knew how they would vote anyway.

Yet at the same time, you insist that independents have no interest in partisan legislation from the bench striking down half a century of settled law just to own the libs? I suggest that a lot of independent women, bartenders, retail workers, food processors et al will get off the couches in November and make their voices heard.

Maybe just a slight statistical uptick and not enough to affect the outcomes, but I suspect it will be there nonetheless.

Every election has surprises...some happy, most not.
1 member likes this
#342273 May 6th a 03:45 AM
by pondering_it_all
pondering_it_all
Supreme court justices are more likely to die than to be impeached AND CONVICTED. Impeach Justice Thomas and I'm sure he will just chock it up to partisan tom-foolery. We already know he has zero ethics, seeing as he refused to recuse himself when his wife was involved in a case. Republicans are all throwing hissy fits about investigating and punishing Alito's draft leaker, but the DOJ and FBI are not, because leaking it violates no laws!

BUT (and it's a might big but) lying to Congress under oath is perjury, and that can result in indictment, conviction, and imprisonment. Supreme Court justices have no immunity (like that JD memo says the President has). The House could refer them to the Justice Department for prosecution, and nothing would stop the Justice Department from charging them. And if they get convicted, there is this:

Article III, Section 1:

The judicial Power of the United States, shall be vested in one supreme Court, and in such inferior Courts as the Congress may from time to time ordain and establish. The Judges, both of the supreme and inferior Courts, shall hold their Offices during good Behaviour, and shall, at stated Times, receive for their Services, a Compensation, which shall not be diminished during their Continuance in Office.

A felony conviction for Perjury is NOT "good Behavior".
1 member likes this
#342275 May 6th a 09:54 AM
by pdx rick
pdx rick
There is a reason why the adage “Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned” exists.

Go ahead and force women into pregnancies they don’t won’t. You conservatives are playing a very dangerous political game. I’ll be enjoying the popcorn while watching your political demise. smile
1 member likes this
#342424 May 14th a 05:41 PM
by pdx rick
pdx rick
Just as I predicted, a new poll shows that Democrat enthusiasm for the November 2022 has doubled.

Care to guess what is driving the enthusiasm? I'll give you a hint, it's not inflation or Fox New's faux outrage of the week: the lack of baby formula.

smile
1 member likes this
#343201 Jun 25th a 02:23 PM
by NW Ponderer
NW Ponderer
I think the only thing important is to vote "democracy".
1 member likes this
#343274 Jun 26th a 11:10 PM
by pondering_it_all
pondering_it_all
Speaking of privacy, we still have HIPAA, which makes it illegal for medical workers to tell others private medical info. So how does this apply in Texas, where people not entitled to private medical information are supposed to sue people involved in an abortion? How would they know who to sue? Is all their "evidence" fruit of a poisoned tree, to use the legal term?

And Jews attacking the constitutionality of state anti-abortion laws is because the current Supreme Court values Freedom of Religion over every other consideration. The constitution explicitly forbids all government (including state governments) from supporting one religion over any other. So they can't say Christianity requires xyz so it's the law, while ignoring the requirements of Judaism. Or Islam. Or LDS! Enforcing one religion's beliefs as law, leads to all sorts of ridiculous results. Keeping government and religion strictly apart solves all of them. It's going to take a while, but religious people will figure this out when they realize other religions have to be treated equally.
1 member likes this
#343288 Jun 27th a 08:42 PM
by jgw
jgw
https://www.statnews.com/2022/06/24...s-want-your-reproductive-health-records/
https://www.pbs.org/newshour/show/supreme-court-decision-on-roe-v-wade-puts-other-rights-at-risk

Oh, its also pretty clear that the Supremes are taking care of business! There is a coach who lost his job because he forced players to publicly pray. Seems the do that or don't play. Then there is Justice Thomas who seems to have a few plans as well.

Interesting times?
1 member likes this