WE NEED YOUR HELP! Please donate to keep ReaderRant online to serve political discussion and its members. (Blue Ridge Photography pays the bills for RR).
Current Topics
Biden to Cancel $10,000 in Student Loan Debt
by Kaine - 05/19/24 10:33 PM
A question
by perotista - 05/19/24 08:06 PM
2024 Election Forum
by jgw - 05/17/24 07:45 PM
No rubbers for Trump
by Kaine - 05/16/24 02:21 PM
Marching in favor of Palestinians
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:38 PM
Yeah, Trump admits he is a pure racist
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:28 PM
Trump's base having second thoughts
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:25 PM
Watching the Supreme Court
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:07 PM
Trump: "Anti-American authoritarian wannabe
by Doug Thompson - 05/05/24 03:27 PM
Fixing/Engineer the Weather
by jgw - 05/03/24 10:52 PM
Earth Day tomorrow
by logtroll - 05/03/24 01:09 AM
Round Table for Spring 2024
by rporter314 - 04/22/24 03:13 AM
To hell with Trump and his cult
by pdx rick - 04/20/24 08:05 PM
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 4 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Agnostic Politico, Jems, robertjohn, BlackCat13th, ruggedman
6,305 Registered Users
Popular Topics(Views)
10,078,473 my own book page
5,016,477 We shall overcome
4,192,797 Campaign 2016
3,792,248 Trump's Trumpet
3,015,610 3 word story game
Top Posters
pdx rick 47,285
Scoutgal 27,583
Phil Hoskins 21,134
Greger 19,831
Towanda 19,391
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
jgw 6
Kaine 1
Forum Statistics
Forums59
Topics17,089
Posts313,786
Members6,305
Most Online294
Dec 6th, 2017
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Thread Like Summary
Greger, Jeffery J. Haas, pdx rick
Original Post (Thread Starter)
by pdx rick
pdx rick
The Las Vegas Sun's editorial board, in a biting editorial published on May 15, poses the question: Are there any Republicans left who are willing to stand up for democracy?

“The editorial board, and Nevadans as a whole, are facing an agonizing problem. We have endorsed Republicans in the past and might do so again in the future. Yet as we survey the field of Republican candidates across the state, we are struggling to identify those who are not an active threat to American democracy or the institutions of government that have sustained our republic for 250 years. Those are the stakes here for the GOP. For Nevada. For our voters.”

It's not rocket science, in a few short years, Republicans have gone from "limited government" and "law and order" to a full-on assault on democracy and planning coups. We see it here at Reader Rant when some right-leaning Ranters describe the Rightwing assault on our Nation's capital on January 6, 2021 as "something that happened." These Ranters are not even horrified about what happened that day. It's just another day in the political neighborhood for them.

It's all just sad.
Liked Replies
by jgw
jgw
A couple of years ago the GOP decided that there was no way they could actually win an open and free election. I think that they still believe that and that means that they needed a plan and, now, they have one. Just get rid of all they nasty voters (those that don't agree with them, a different color, a different religion, and, most of all, those that want to destroy America!(everybody else)). They have now moved on and figure that if they can just take it all over they can then deal with all those between the brackets. The GOP is not racist, etc. Don't want to hurt anybody, just want to save the United States of America!

Its EVERYBODY else that is wrong!
2 members like this
by Jeffery J. Haas
Jeffery J. Haas
Originally Posted by pdx rick
The Las Vegas Sun's editorial board, in a biting editorial published on May 15, poses the question: Are there any Republicans left who are willing to stand up for democracy?

“The editorial board, and Nevadans as a whole, are facing an agonizing problem. We have endorsed Republicans in the past and might do so again in the future. Yet as we survey the field of Republican candidates across the state, we are struggling to identify those who are not an active threat to American democracy or the institutions of government that have sustained our republic for 250 years. Those are the stakes here for the GOP. For Nevada. For our voters.”

It's not rocket science, in a few short years, Republicans have gone from "limited government" and "law and order" to a full-on assault on democracy and planning coups. We see it here at Reader Rant when some right-leaning Ranters describe the Rightwing assault on our Nation's capital on January 6, 2021 as "something that happened." These Ranters are not even horrified about what happened that day. It's just another day in the political neighborhood for them.

It's all just sad.

Their favorite (and the most offensive) is: "Awww geez, it was just like a kegger that got outta control."
That's actually how little they respect the US Capitol, the literal "Temple" of democracy.
1 member likes this
by Jeffery J. Haas
Jeffery J. Haas
Originally Posted by pdx rick
Originally Posted by jgw
A couple of years ago the GOP decided that there was no way they could actually win an open and free election. I think that they still believe that and that means that they needed a plan and, now, they have one.
The plan is called dark MAGA and these planners are deeply disturbed people. Look at who is on the list!

I smell a 106 page manifesto in his future.
1 member likes this
by perotista
perotista
Number wise, here you go.

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2022/senate/Georgia.html

I’d throw them all out except the two April polls. Average, Walker by 0.5 of a point. It’s a pure tossup at this point. The two party’s affiliation strength is now about even in Georgia. A whole bunch from the Northeast has moved down here in the last 20 years bringing their politics with them. That being so, this senate race will be decided by independents. Today, they’re as split as the strength of the two major parties.

Walkers wife beatings and other proclivities won’t make a difference in how those who identify as R’s and D’s vote. Neither will Walkers football exploits of bringing Georgia a national championship. Trump’s word and backing is now irrelevant. That backing may help Warnock as independents still don’t like Trump much. It may come down to how many independents still view Walker the hero of a national championship and how much his wife beating bothers them. Which one wins out among independents, that is impossible to tell today.

I do think Warnock has the advantage today regardless of the 0.5 of a point the polls show. Warnock is experienced, he’s been through two general election campaigns, he’s a political pro and better yet, the incumbent with all the perks that brings. Walker is the rookie, basically shielded from the public during the primaries, no debates, no nothing. He’s the weaker of the two candidates, the GOP hopes Walkers football exploits will over come his weaknesses, especially among independents. Most independents who will vote in November haven’t paid much if any attention to this race yet. Too early for them.

Numbers aside, if the election were held today, my gut feeling is Warnock would win. He could win big or it could be close, but Warnock would win. When you have about half of independents not even knowing there’s a Georgia senate election this November, anything can happen. The knowledgeable half went and voted in the primaries, the non-knowledgeable half, who knows? Best I can do today.

You can bet I’ll be keeping the closest eye and keep on doing deep research into independents. For me, Republicans and Democrats are irrelevant, I know how they’ll vote, they aren’t going to decide this race. Nor are they going to decide the governorship or secretary of state or any other statewide election.
1 member likes this