WE NEED YOUR HELP! Please donate to keep ReaderRant online to serve political discussion and its members. (Blue Ridge Photography pays the bills for RR).
Current Topics
Biden to Cancel $10,000 in Student Loan Debt
by pdx rick - 05/19/24 10:52 PM
A question
by perotista - 05/19/24 08:06 PM
2024 Election Forum
by jgw - 05/17/24 07:45 PM
No rubbers for Trump
by Kaine - 05/16/24 02:21 PM
Marching in favor of Palestinians
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:38 PM
Yeah, Trump admits he is a pure racist
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:28 PM
Trump's base having second thoughts
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:25 PM
Watching the Supreme Court
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:07 PM
Trump: "Anti-American authoritarian wannabe
by Doug Thompson - 05/05/24 03:27 PM
Fixing/Engineer the Weather
by jgw - 05/03/24 10:52 PM
Earth Day tomorrow
by logtroll - 05/03/24 01:09 AM
Round Table for Spring 2024
by rporter314 - 04/22/24 03:13 AM
To hell with Trump and his cult
by pdx rick - 04/20/24 08:05 PM
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 3 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Agnostic Politico, Jems, robertjohn, BlackCat13th, ruggedman
6,305 Registered Users
Popular Topics(Views)
10,078,574 my own book page
5,016,696 We shall overcome
4,192,797 Campaign 2016
3,792,248 Trump's Trumpet
3,015,949 3 word story game
Top Posters
pdx rick 47,286
Scoutgal 27,583
Phil Hoskins 21,134
Greger 19,831
Towanda 19,391
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
jgw 6
Kaine 1
Forum Statistics
Forums59
Topics17,089
Posts313,787
Members6,305
Most Online294
Dec 6th, 2017
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Thread Like Summary
Greger, Jeffery J. Haas, pdx rick, perotista
Original Post (Thread Starter)
by pdx rick
pdx rick
By Doug Thompson

At least two of the Supreme Court justices appointed in recent years told Senators they would not vote to overturn Roe v. Wade. They lied.

Late last week, the U.S. Supreme Court, now controlled by right-wing extremists appointed by a disgraced, corrupt former president, overturned the landmark Roe v. Wade ruling that has stood for several decades, clearing the way for other extremists to take away a woman’s right to choose an abortion.

That former president, Donald Trump, lied more than 30,000 times to Congress and the American public during his disastrous four years in office and led a violent attempt to overturn democracy during the Capitol riot on Jan. 6, 2021, with false claims that the election was fraudulently “stolen” from him.

Hearings on that riot have detailed Trump’s traitorous, sedition-based, attempts to take control of America through a violent, bloody coup that fell just short of its goal.

Lies were modus operandi for Trump. So are at least two of his appointed Supreme Court who helped bring a sudden end to the protections of Roe v, Wade. So far, at least three Senators said they lied outright to them to gain the votes they needed for confirmation.

“I trusted Justice (Neil M.) Gorsuch and Justice (Brett) Kavanaugh when they testified under oath that they also believed Roe v. Wade was settled legal precedent, and I am alarmed they chose to reject the stability the ruling has provided for two generations of Americans,” Senator Joe Manchin, a deciding Democrat on the confirmation of the justices, said after Friday’s action.

“I feel misled,” says Sen. Susan Collins of Maine, who was going to vote against Brett Kavanaugh, another right-winger advocated by the now-disgraced former president Donald Trump.

Notes from Collins and others confirm Kavanaugh’s promise to keep Roe v. Wade in place when he said:

Start with my record, my respect for precedent, my belief that it is rooted in the Constitution, and my commitment and its importance to the rule of law. I understand precedent and I understand the importance of overturning it.

Roe is 45 years old, it has been reaffirmed many times, lots of people care about it a great deal, and I’ve tried to demonstrate I understand real-world consequences. I am a don’t-rock-the-boat kind of judge. I believe in stability and in the Team of Nine.

To echo the words of former Attorney General William Barr, who told Trump that his ludicrous claims that election fraud cost him re-election in 2020, the best word to describe Kavanaugh is “bullshit.”

“I have no respect left for some justices when you consider what they told us in their confirmation hearings,” said Sen. Richard Blumenthal, also a former Supreme Court clerk. “Their credibility is approaching zero with us, but also with the American people.”

What else should we expect from appointees of a known liar like Trump, who was exposed as even more of criminal fraud in hearings by the Select Committee on the Jan. 6 Capitol Riot that he promoted in a failed attempt to try and overturn democracy in America?

Trump promised to “reshape” the Supreme Court. Instead, he turned the court into a corrupt, twisted morass that is quickly finding questionable ways to put America back into the dark ages.

Equally corrupt and dishonest Justice Clarence Thomas helped the three new right-wingers to overturn years of progress by what was once a top court that depended on the law and the Constitution, not the bias of bigotry.

The homophobic Thomas wants the court to overturn the decision that legalized gay marriage along with decisions that extended rights to gays. Hell, he wants the court to interfere with married couples’ rights to obtain and use contraceptives.

“In future cases, we should reconsider all of this Court’s substantive due process precedents, including Griswold, Lawrence, and Obergefell,” Thomas wrote on Page 119 of the opinion in Dobbs v. Jackson Women’s Health.

In referring to the rulings that legalized same-sex relationships and marriage equality, respectively, Thomas claimed: “any substantive due process decision is ‘demonstrably erroneous’ … we have a duty to ‘correct the error’ established in those precedents.”

Perhaps this is what we should expect from the Justice whose wife was a major player in the attempt to overturn the Electoral College votes that gave Joe Biden a clear, legal, victory over the corrupt Trump. She continues to speak to groups and uses such lies to support an attempted coup.

Like the corrupt president who appointed three extremists to the Court and the anti-law justice already on the court, we have an American under attack from traitors. They must be stopped and punished for their treason against America.

Copyright © 2022 Capitol Hill Blue
Liked Replies
by Doug Thompson
Doug Thompson
I knew Stone during our time in Washington. He was a GOP consultant who took no prisoners and the firm -- Black, Manafort & Stone charged high dollar for their services. Paul Manafort was considered the sleaziest of the bunch while Charlie Black was someone you could work with. During by black sabbatical days as a political operative, Charlie asked me to join the firm. Glad I didn't.

At his height, Stone had a plane, a seagoing boat and several homes but lost the plane, boat and one of the homes in a nasty divorce. Afterwards, his comment was "from this point forward, it is flies, floats or f---s, it is better to rent."

Doug
2 members like this
by pondering_it_all
pondering_it_all
I think it did all start with Cliven Bundy. Feds should have "Wacoed" his ass. Then the bird sanctuary occupation fiasco. Right-wing extremists learned pretty quickly that the feds would do very little to stop them, as long as they claimed all their crimes were political expression. January 6th is the direct result. And the Justice Department's "slow walk" is not helping teach them a different lesson. The Department doesn't like to act near elections, but if they end up convicting elected people, that's really going to be disruptive. Far better to do that before the election so folks can vote for people who will not be going to prison.

We also need several judge dismissals, to fire some vandals installed in lifetime appointments. Article III states that these judges “hold their office during good behavior” . Getting charged and convicted of a felony is NOT good behavior, and we need to remove them.
2 members like this
by Greger
Greger
probably half or more of each major party views the other party as this nation’s number one enemy by now.

It kind of cock blocks every effort at progress. **Yes, it's all the Republicans fault**

Politics has become the new racism. An outlet for anger and hate against a group that really isn't so different from you. You might live next door to one for years and never know you should hate them.

You know why God made Republicans smell bad...?

So blind Democrats could hate them too!

There's a reason why Independents Are Still the Largest Political Group in the U.S.. Gallup

Neither party has enough core members to win elections without independents. So every administration is judged by folks who are uninterested in any of the partisan squabbling over guns, abortion, or Trump.
1 member likes this
by pondering_it_all
pondering_it_all
One interesting effect of this Supreme Court, is that stare decisis is dead. Just like Senate Rules, once you violate them the opposition is not going to reinstate them. The first week there is a liberal Supreme Court majority, out go all the recent Supreme Court rulings. The heavy price the Republican Party has paid in terms of destroying their reputation just to get a conservative Supreme Court majority will be for naught. In the long run, conservatives always lose, because time only runs in a forward direction for human perception. "Things Change" is the only thing that doesn't change. Reality has a very strong progressive bias, because everybody dies eventually.
1 member likes this
by pdx rick
pdx rick
Originally Posted by perotista
I agree with Pondering. The problem with progressives is they want massive changes, giant leaps forward, everything right now which takes most folks out of their comfort zone. Take people out of their comfort zone,
Cry it out. It’s good for the soul.

Regressive activist judges did just that in a single week.
1 member likes this
by Jeffery J. Haas
Jeffery J. Haas
Originally Posted by perotista
Not any gigantic leap across the Grand Canyon. The trick in my opinion is to keep plugging away with little steps all the time, this keeps people in their comfort zone, and it keeps the people supporting you.

Try for the moon, all at once, that takes folks out of their comfort zone and boom, you’re out of power.

I submit that overturning Roe is just that, a gigantic leap across not just one but several "Grand Canyons", if Clarence Thomas' extended thoughts on the matter are to be taken into account:

Thomas wrote that the court “should reconsider” all three decisions, Griswold v. Connecticut, a 1965 decision that declared married couples had a right to contraception; Lawrence v. Texas, a 2003 case invalidating sodomy laws and making same-sex sexual activity legal across the country; and Obergefell v. Hodges, the 2015 case establishing the right of gay couples to marry.

In 1979, Iran was also something of a modern, industrialized, and maybe even somewhat secular nation.
But suddenly a religious revolution took place, the fundamentalists seized power at the barrel of a gun, just like our "friendly" insurrectionists attempted to do.
That’s how Iran became the Islamic Republic of Iran.

But you seem to think ONLY DEMOCRATS make rash decisions that go too far.
Your bias is showing.
1 member likes this
by Greger
Greger
Supreme Court decisions are a bitch because there's nothing anybody of either party can do to change them. There's nobody else to appeal to.

So in that regard, we're fecked. But when the SC shot down New York's gun laws New York answered by enacting laws to sidestep the decision.

Long before this conservative supreme court is gone we will see legislation crafted to get around them.

But you seem to think ONLY DEMOCRATS make rash decisions that go too far.

There's a pretty good reason why this always seems to be the case....

Reeps don't want new laws so they seldom write them. They like things just the way they are.

Dems are the party of change so they're always fielding solutions and trying to solve problems. This is what frightens folks.
1 member likes this
by pondering_it_all
pondering_it_all
The conservative Supreme Court Justices are asking state authorities to remove the demonstrators from outside their houses. They already asked the Marshalls, and they said these people where doing nothing illegal so they could not. Well, state and local governments can't either: There was a recent Supreme Court ruling that privacy is not a constitutional right, but Freedom of Speech certainly is. Especially political speech.

Those demonstrators are going to be out there every day, for the rest of their time on the court until they reconsider. Clients and workers at women's clinics have put up with demonstrators for the last 50 years. Let's see how the Justices like it.
1 member likes this
by NW Ponderer
NW Ponderer
Originally Posted by Greger
They do...

What society do you think they live in?
They live in an ideological bubble divorced from the reality of the rest of the country.

But, occasionally the real world intrudes into that bubble, and they whine about it, although they are the very ones thinning the bubble itself. Did anyone see Pete Buttigieg's takedown of the Fox reporter's effort to pose a "gotcha" question. It was marvelous. Pete Buttigieg HUMILIATES Fox News Host with EPIC Response on Live TV
1 member likes this
by pondering_it_all
pondering_it_all
>Just stop posting about assassinating people.

Again you are implying that I am promoting assassination. That is slanderous. I never have done that. All I have done is to say that there are millions of people in the US and some of them are going to pissed off when one (or 6) people decide they no longer have a constitutional right to privacy. Some are going to be pissed off enough to go to protests every day. A few might even be unhinged and pissed off enough to do something criminal. Trump certainly found about a thousand who were ready to assassinate the Vice President. So I think 1000 out of 330 million is a good estimate of the number of potential assassins.

My actual point is that judges (especially Supreme Court justices) really need to think about how their rulings will affect people. Here is a Slate article that supports that opinion:

Amy Coney Barrett is in over her Head

From Day One, Barrett has approached this job as an academic. She treats cases like intriguing thought experiments rather than disputes between real people with life-and-death consequences. Her worst questions, like the “safe haven” disaster, sound like a parlor game. It’s easy to envision Barrett probing a student with such a question in an effort to test the strength of their argument. At oral arguments, though, it sounded like a callous minimization of the devastating burdens imposed by pregnancy.
1 member likes this
by Jeffery J. Haas
Jeffery J. Haas
Originally Posted by pondering_it_all
My actual point is that judges (especially Supreme Court justices) really need to think about how their rulings will affect people.

I understood.
Further to that line of thought, if the insurrectionists actually believe the foolhardy notion that they're going to successfully overturn an election, or in this case, another FUTURE election, they need to stop, sit down, and consider the consequences of their actions, because it's one thing for a mangy dog to chase a car, another thing altogether to figure out what to do with the car once you actually catch it.

"General Bannon" and "Fieldmarshal Roger Stone" don't seem to have all their marbles and Adjutant Reichsinspekteur Stewart Rhodes isn't capable of leading a functioning army to defend their insurrection once it achieves revolutionary status because simply put, none of them have the hearts and minds of a significant majority of Americans.

It's one thing to wave a Trump flag and yell "Let's go Brandon", another thing altogether to actually run the day to day affairs of the world's richest superpower. Meal Team Six, Oath Smellers and the Proud Boys don't pack the gear they THINK they're packing.

If any of these clowns had attempted to pull a stunt like this in the early nineteenth century, in the wake of the British Army storming Washington, they would have all been "hanged by the neck until dead" in Lafayette Square.

And it's crystal clear that six people in black robes are demonstrating an awful lot of sympathy for the insurrection.
1 member likes this
by pondering_it_all
pondering_it_all
Clarence might be a "traitor to his race", but I think that kind of racial politics is mostly nonsense. But he IS a traitor to the constitution and the ideals of the people who wrote it. The were pretty adamant that church and state had nothing to do with each other. They knew all about a state religion, given England's history of conflict because of intertwining the two. (Marjorie Taylor Green needs to study just a tiny bit of history!)

The problem is that the US government can't promote any religion over any other, so once you give one religion special powers over secular matters, all religions are entitled to those powers. This will lead to all sorts of mischief, when we have to allow Muslim, Hindoo, Scientology, Satanism, etc. public monuments, prayers in schools, religious holiday exemptions, religious accommodations that go against public safety, and so forth. Evangelicals need to be careful what they wish for.
1 member likes this
by rporter314
rporter314
can't wait for Bokononism to be the official religion in the US.
1 member likes this