WE NEED YOUR HELP! Please donate to keep ReaderRant online to serve political discussion and its members. (Blue Ridge Photography pays the bills for RR).
Current Topics
Biden to Cancel $10,000 in Student Loan Debt
by pdx rick - 05/19/24 10:52 PM
A question
by perotista - 05/19/24 08:06 PM
2024 Election Forum
by jgw - 05/17/24 07:45 PM
No rubbers for Trump
by Kaine - 05/16/24 02:21 PM
Marching in favor of Palestinians
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:38 PM
Yeah, Trump admits he is a pure racist
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:28 PM
Trump's base having second thoughts
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:25 PM
Watching the Supreme Court
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:07 PM
Trump: "Anti-American authoritarian wannabe
by Doug Thompson - 05/05/24 03:27 PM
Fixing/Engineer the Weather
by jgw - 05/03/24 10:52 PM
Earth Day tomorrow
by logtroll - 05/03/24 01:09 AM
Round Table for Spring 2024
by rporter314 - 04/22/24 03:13 AM
To hell with Trump and his cult
by pdx rick - 04/20/24 08:05 PM
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 6 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Agnostic Politico, Jems, robertjohn, BlackCat13th, ruggedman
6,305 Registered Users
Popular Topics(Views)
10,078,530 my own book page
5,016,583 We shall overcome
4,192,797 Campaign 2016
3,792,248 Trump's Trumpet
3,015,741 3 word story game
Top Posters
pdx rick 47,286
Scoutgal 27,583
Phil Hoskins 21,134
Greger 19,831
Towanda 19,391
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
jgw 6
Kaine 1
Forum Statistics
Forums59
Topics17,089
Posts313,787
Members6,305
Most Online294
Dec 6th, 2017
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Thread Like Summary
Jeffery J. Haas, pdx rick
Original Post (Thread Starter)
by jgw
jgw
from the link below:
Today, Taiwan is one of the biggest investors in China. Between 1991 and the end of May 2021, approved investment in China comprised 44,577 cases totaling US$193.51 billion. In 2020, the value of cross-strait trade was US$166 billion.

https://www.taiwan.gov.tw/content_6.php

Taiwan also supplies serious percentages of the WORLD's chips as well (I think I read it was over 60% of the world's supply).

Its pretty interesting. If China invades Taiwan china will be screwing with economic things which can go really bad and expensive for both nations. If China did invade they would then take over the chip business that supplies the world. This, I suspect, will not sit well with the rest of the world.

All that being said it seems that Biden has been working on this for over a year. Our gov has been making sure that's not gonna happen and Biden has announced not just one new, huge, chip factory going in but several of them. I understand that Japan too is jumping into this one and, I suspect others as well.

As far as I can tell everybody, including the United States thinks that its wise to assure our national access to chips (as well as other things electronic that comes from onshore). This is especially true when the supply chain failed due to a completely broken system as well as shipping doubling their prices.

It also seems that America, and the rest of the world, figure that China is going to take Taiwan sometime in the future and everybody wants to be ready. This seems to give me faith. We are actually looking ahead for once! I really hope it all works!
Liked Replies
by Jeffery J. Haas
Jeffery J. Haas
We are probably going to see a sea change in the way high tech is manufactured and sold once domestically produced microprocessors come online in numbers sufficient to compete with China.
For one thing, if you're manufacturing domestic microprocessors that is going to spawn partner industries right away.
Those chips GO onto circuit boards!
You get the point.

Now here is where I predict it's going to be a little different:
We WILL compete with China to some extent and that means we WILL be also cranking out all those cheap disposable devices.
But my gut tells me that in order to get noticed, our domestic industries will have to offer something the Chinese never have, something that is reminiscent of what American high tech used to look like.

The generation that bought all those old brands are mostly aged or dead now but the funny thing is, kids who go to music concerts or watch musicians play or record notice little things, like the resurgence of vinyl and analog, the fact that their favorite stars record in studios filled with lovingly restored classic vintage equipment.
And they wonder what the world would be like if there was more access to all these treasured old gadgets.

Did you know that a vintage Altec 639, 633 or 670A can fetch almost three times the original list price today even if it hasn't been maintained well? Go price a vintage McIntosh amp, no....not Apple MacIntosh, McIntosh.
Some of them cost as much as a brand new one or even more.
UPDATE: Holy crap, was I ever wrong, I checked again and just as one example a Vintage McIntosh Stereo System MC2505 C26 MR73 Reconditioned Amp Pre-amp Tuner on eBay is selling for 5500 dollars.
(faint) THUD...and that treasure won't stay on eBay very long.
(https://www.ebay.com/itm/165579500668)

So what my gut tells me is we can expect a kind of two-tiered approach, cheap disposable plastic toys and heavy duty, even partially handmade modular designed high tech pieces of art designed to be repaired, modified, upgraded and cared for because it's made to last a generation.
That latter stuff will be expensive as Hell but worth every penny.

We'll also see the return of repair shops, real repair shops. They're already here in the form of shops that cater to computer repair and builds right now but it's a short leap to expand to repairing, modifying and upgrading modern American made audio and video.

Don't be too quick to laugh, I won a 20 dollar bet I made in 1998 when I predicted the return of the Chrysler HEMI V-8 engine and sure enough in 2003 Dodge reintroduced it. Now it's probably going away forever but it enjoyed another twenty year run much to the delight of muscle car enthusiasts everywhere.
1 member likes this