WE NEED YOUR HELP! Please donate to keep ReaderRant online to serve political discussion and its members. (Blue Ridge Photography pays the bills for RR).
Current Topics
Biden to Cancel $10,000 in Student Loan Debt
by pdx rick - 05/19/24 10:52 PM
A question
by perotista - 05/19/24 08:06 PM
2024 Election Forum
by jgw - 05/17/24 07:45 PM
No rubbers for Trump
by Kaine - 05/16/24 02:21 PM
Marching in favor of Palestinians
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:38 PM
Yeah, Trump admits he is a pure racist
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:28 PM
Trump's base having second thoughts
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:25 PM
Watching the Supreme Court
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:07 PM
Trump: "Anti-American authoritarian wannabe
by Doug Thompson - 05/05/24 03:27 PM
Fixing/Engineer the Weather
by jgw - 05/03/24 10:52 PM
Earth Day tomorrow
by logtroll - 05/03/24 01:09 AM
Round Table for Spring 2024
by rporter314 - 04/22/24 03:13 AM
To hell with Trump and his cult
by pdx rick - 04/20/24 08:05 PM
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 3 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Agnostic Politico, Jems, robertjohn, BlackCat13th, ruggedman
6,305 Registered Users
Popular Topics(Views)
10,078,574 my own book page
5,016,696 We shall overcome
4,192,797 Campaign 2016
3,792,248 Trump's Trumpet
3,015,949 3 word story game
Top Posters
pdx rick 47,286
Scoutgal 27,583
Phil Hoskins 21,134
Greger 19,831
Towanda 19,391
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
jgw 6
Kaine 1
Forum Statistics
Forums59
Topics17,089
Posts313,787
Members6,305
Most Online294
Dec 6th, 2017
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Thread Like Summary
Greger, Jeffery J. Haas, logtroll, NW Ponderer, pdx rick
Original Post (Thread Starter)
by Doug Thompson
Doug Thompson
[Linked Image from capitolhillblue.com]

The valid, necessary search of Mar-a-Lago by FBI agents in Florida, found not only evidence of criminal behavior, but also possession of documents that bring serious questions of treason by a disgraced, corrupt president

By DOUG THOMPSON
August 22, 2022

Back in what now feels like medieval times, I taught part-time at a school called “The American Campaign Academy,” a political operation founded and supported by the Republican Party. My classes tried to teach workable ways to promote candidates in a way that pushed the limits of the files and laws that were supposed to govern Congressional campaigns around the country.

“Your job is to protect the candidate and, if necessary, the blame if and when they get into trouble on an issue or through their personal behavior,” I told the students.

“How you feel on issues is unimportant,” I said. “It is your job to make the candidate’s beliefs work and, if they don’t, be the fall guy (or woman) who takes the heat for their failures.”

Potential press secretaries would sometimes ask: “How far do we go?”

“As far as it takes,” I said. In one class, a student asked for an example.

“G. Gordon Libby,” I answered. “He protected Richard Nixon and sent to jail protecting the secrets of the Watergate scandal.” Then, of course, I would tell them to ignore that advice. I had covered Watergate as a reporter and hoped that the corruption of Richard Nixon would never again be part of the American political system, especially at the presidential level.

I was wrong. Nixon, facing impeachment, resigned in disgrace and was pardoned for his crimes by President Gerald Ford, a Congressman who became Vice President when Nixon’s VP, a corrupt politician also resigned in disgrace.

“I thought pardoning Nixon would help the nation heal,” Ford said afterward after he lost his bid for election for a full term after assuming the presidency. He was wrong too.

Ford, a nice man caught up in a national scandal and serious threat to the Constitution and our democracy, tried to do what he thought was “the right thing.” The president that followed, peanut farmer and one-time member sailor who served with the founder of America’s “nuclear Navy, ” promised to “never tell America a lie” and lasted just one term, felled by the hostage crisis at the U.S. Embassy in Iran and the toiled rescue attempt.

Presidents like Ford and Carter seem a world away from the presidency of a borderline crackpot like Donald J. Trump, whose corruption is topped only by his massive ego and childish desire for attention and control.

Nixon went down because Republicans and Democrats together put the needs of the nation, the Constitution, and democracy itself over politics and bickering. Now, the party of the elephant is little more than a craven cult eager to defend a treasonous criminal like Trump at all costs.

“One of the things we’re seeing is that Trump is demanding a specific kind of loyalty. It’s not just that you are loyal to Trump, but you are loyal to Trump’s most extreme versions of the lie,” former conservative Milwaukee radio host Charlie Sykes, a rare GOP, tells The Washington Post. “This is a significant misstep, but it feels like the kind of misstep that establishment Republicans have been making over the last six years, which is, ‘OK, people aren’t really going to buy the crazy. I can manage the crazy.’ Only to find out that the crazy is unmanageable.”

For many, the “crazy” is buying into Trump’s “Big Lie” that he somehow lost his 2020 re-election bid through non-existent fraud. Court after court, including a Supreme Court now packed with Trumpites, has ruled that no proof of fraud exists, but the lie continues.

But the search of Trump’s lavish Mar-a-Lago in Florida, found an even bigger lie, one that raises serious questions about his loyalty to this nation and its people. The Top Secret documents that he took, illegally, from the White House included compartmentalized nuclear weapons information that is never, ever, supposed to leave secured areas of the government and their existence now raises the question of whether or not we have a disgraced, corrupt former president who is also a traitor to America.

Newsweek reports that former federal prosecutor Glenn Kirschner feels “that Donald Trump is in really dangerous territory legally, and that the former president may have committed treason.”

The newsmagazine report continues:

“This is some really dangerous territory for Donald Trump,” Kirschner said, who also reminded viewers that the ex-president “launched an armed attack on the Capitol to stop the peaceful transfer of presidential power.”

“Let’s not forget about that little crime that may actually amount to treason,” he added.

Yet many Republicans, like House GOP Leader Kevin McCarthy, continue to castigate the FBI for executing a valid and legal search warrant that has uncovered these latest developments. They have even issued statements that could endanger the law enforcement agents who appear to have uncovered a traitor.

Are they traitors too? When you lie down with dogs, you wake up with fleas.

Copyright © 2022 Capitol Hill Blue
Liked Replies
by pondering_it_all
pondering_it_all
All these Republicans fighting subpoenas need to understand that when you fight testifying, it looks like you are part of the conspiracy. It's much better for your reelection (and freedom) prospects to go testify as requested, but then claim your specific immunity in response to specific questions. And don't claim phony immunities like "executive privilege" when courts have already decided you don't have that immunity. Or immunities that don't apply to the question. For example Lindsey Graham can claim immunity as to his legislative acts, but the prosecutor probably would not ask any such questions. He has a much stronger claim to 5th amendment immunity for questions about his attempt to invalidate Georgia votes.

Particularly because DA Willis may be considering a RICO case! You don't want to get included in "the gang", so you should be very careful NOT to act like you are a gangster.
2 members like this
by pondering_it_all
pondering_it_all
I'm not too sure about "traitor" because that implies loyalty to some entity other than your country. I don't think Trump's brain comprehends "loyalty". Functionally, he's a spoiled ten year old who has been faking being an adult all his life. Some ten year olds collect dead insects. Some collect game cards. Trump collects top secret documents. "They are mine", as in "I grabbed them, so now they belong to me". Not so much for their contents, or their value when sold to our adversaries. Just because they represent some spurious idea he had about himself. And they are really cool and make him feel like an action movie hero. I really think a lot of people are overthinking this.

If his dad had not given him so much money, he would have been dead or institutionalized long ago. Like died in a car crash fleeing police after robbing a store.
1 member likes this