WE NEED YOUR HELP! Please donate to keep ReaderRant online to serve political discussion and its members. (Blue Ridge Photography pays the bills for RR).
Current Topics
Biden to Cancel $10,000 in Student Loan Debt
by pdx rick - 05/19/24 10:52 PM
A question
by perotista - 05/19/24 08:06 PM
2024 Election Forum
by jgw - 05/17/24 07:45 PM
No rubbers for Trump
by Kaine - 05/16/24 02:21 PM
Marching in favor of Palestinians
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:38 PM
Yeah, Trump admits he is a pure racist
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:28 PM
Trump's base having second thoughts
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:25 PM
Watching the Supreme Court
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:07 PM
Trump: "Anti-American authoritarian wannabe
by Doug Thompson - 05/05/24 03:27 PM
Fixing/Engineer the Weather
by jgw - 05/03/24 10:52 PM
Earth Day tomorrow
by logtroll - 05/03/24 01:09 AM
Round Table for Spring 2024
by rporter314 - 04/22/24 03:13 AM
To hell with Trump and his cult
by pdx rick - 04/20/24 08:05 PM
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 5 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Agnostic Politico, Jems, robertjohn, BlackCat13th, ruggedman
6,305 Registered Users
Popular Topics(Views)
10,078,554 my own book page
5,016,623 We shall overcome
4,192,797 Campaign 2016
3,792,248 Trump's Trumpet
3,015,811 3 word story game
Top Posters
pdx rick 47,286
Scoutgal 27,583
Phil Hoskins 21,134
Greger 19,831
Towanda 19,391
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
jgw 6
Kaine 1
Forum Statistics
Forums59
Topics17,089
Posts313,787
Members6,305
Most Online294
Dec 6th, 2017
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Thread Like Summary
Jeffery J. Haas, NW Ponderer, pdx rick
Original Post (Thread Starter)
by Doug Thompson
Doug Thompson
The corrupt, criminal former president no longer has the protection of the political office he never deserved or earned.

[Linked Image from capitolhillblue.com]

By DOUG THOMPSON
August 24, 2022

Increasingly, those who use their brains to examine and discuss the truth instead of Donal Trump-fed fantasies feel like the Mar-a-Lago classified document scandal may finally be the thing that will bring him down.

Of course, we had heard such predictions before as he evaded deserved punishment for his crimes through two impeachments and endless investigations, but his questionable and treasonous handling of top-secret material, and his ever-changing litany of lies trying to explain it all away, is finally eating away at his cult-like base. The plodding but determined Attorney General Merrick Garland is, we are told, not one to be trifled with.

Heather Digby Parton writes in Salon:

One of the most impressive aspects of the January 6 committee hearings earlier this summer was the use of Republican members of Trump’s inner circle to tell the story of his attempts to overturn the election and obstruct the peaceful transfer of power. To Trump’s adversaries and opponents, these people were a mixed bag that included former Trump loyalists who were compelled to tell the truth about the corrupt boss they had loyally served. And I think it was assumed that for some Trump supporters these people might be seen as trusted voices because of their previous devotion to the Dear Leader. There were staffers and former Cabinet members, some of whom were quite well known as faithful Trump agents, such as former Attorney General William Barr, who could not be portrayed as Democratic dupes, giving evidence that Trump simply refused to accept the truth and went to bizarre lengths to deny it. Surely, people would have to realize that this steadfast coterie must be telling the truth. But they don’t. They believe that every last one of them is a liar. No amount of previous fidelity to the party or the cause counts for anything.

Sure, he’s gleefully collecting money from the small donors who love to give the billionaire their hard-earned cash. And he’s pursuing his usual strategy of flooding the zone with nonsense and staying in the news which he believes is a key to his success. But Trump knows what he has done and he knows that his closest associates from the White House and now at Mar-a-Lago are cooperating with both his political adversaries and the law. In the latter case, he has no idea who they are so everyone must be a suspect, even his own family. The only voice he can trust is the one in his head telling him to keep dancing as fast as he can. It must be exhausting.

Trump’s fundraising has brought increased scrutiny. He claims the money will be used to help MAGA candidates and, possibly, his run for the presidency in 2024, but examinations of the reports show most of the money raised is going to cover his legal expenses and his lavish lifestyle.

Notes National Public Radio:

Trump doesn’t exactly have a history of following FEC guidelines, and there hasn’t been much enforcement despite dozens of campaign finance complaints.

Since 2016, there have been upward of 40 complaints against the former president — the FEC hasn’t acted on any of them, including the case of Trump’s lawyer Michael Cohen paying off Stormy Daniels during the 2016 election. It’s bringing up questions on whether Trump could be held accountable for any potential violations in the future.

Audits by the General Accounting Office found that Trump looted the U.S. Treasuery during his presidency, charging hiked-up prices for rooms at his expensive Washington hotel for Secret Service Agents, using Air Force One for personal trips for himself and his family and ignoring federal laws that prohibit him from profiting from the millions he charged for use of his hotel during his inauguration.

He also routinely cheats his donors. CNN reports he used $650,000 in contributed funds to underwrite portraits of him and First Lady Melania Trump, a former nude model, for the Smithsonian.

This is the traitor and criminal that the hardcore, right-wing extremists who have taken over the Republican Party continue to support and idolize.

Copyright © 2022 Capitol Hill Blue
Liked Replies
by pdx rick
pdx rick
The DOJ waited until nearly midnight eastern time last night before filing its response in the Donald Trump classified documents case asking for a Special Master. In the 40-page filing, the DOJ argued Trump's case should not be heard but that he would lose even if it were allowed. The filing included 18-page exhibits.

[Linked Image from uploads.disquscdn.com]

The filing also indicates that the DOJ found classified documents inside Donald Trump’s personal desk at Mar-a-Lago. This is the part that erases any reasonable doubt argument he might have tried to make when this gets to trial. Even if he tried to claim that someone on his staff stole those boxes of classified documents and took them to Mar-a-Lago without Trump’s knowledge, this would never explain why some of the documents were inside Trump’s desk.

The filing also reveals that Trump received a grand jury subpoena for all of the classified documents several months ago. This means that when Trump only turned over some of the documents and falsely claimed that they were all of the documents he didn’t merely defy a DOJ request; he defied a grand jury subpoena.

DOJ strongly suggested they are focusing on obstruction of justice - NOT as much that he took classified information as many of us are hammering on - thereby skirting Trump's claim that he "declassified" the material on his way out of the door.

It's game over for Donald Trump.

#LockHImUp smile
2 members like this
by jgw
jgw
He is also a criminal, and has been for a very long time. He has also proven he is quite capable of throwing anybody under the bus and has little or no honor or loyalty.

Up to this point he has skated. Hopefully that's not going to happen anymore. As far as I can tell from the TV talking heads, Trump has broken several known laws. Hopefully he will be charged with every one of them. If that is true I wouldn't be surprised if he didn't take a trip to Russia or North Korea. The only thing that might stop him is that he actually believes he is invulnerable.

I should add that I have an incredible skill when it comes to wishful thinking and am wrong more often than not.
1 member likes this
by rporter314
rporter314
Too bad common sense objectivity will not work on the MAGA cult ... but what is most disturbing is the elected Republican officials who have been extorted by the Trump Base to support and defend Trump's probable criminality in order to remain in power.

Yikes ... are Rep's Cheney and Kinzinger the last and only Republicans with any sense or modicum of integrity left???

Almost 100% of people I routinely deal with on a daily basis are Trump supporters. What I tell them is, if Pres's Biden or Washington or Lincoln had done what Trump did, I would be first in line to call for impeachment or indictment. They are the People's employee. They are accountable to Us. If they break that bond, they should be held accountable.
1 member likes this
by jgw
jgw
Apparently the doj has been investigating this stuff since May. I think I also read that its using much of the capacity of the doj to do this which makes me suspect that they just might be further along that folks think. I also believe that the guy in charge of the doj is serious and making sure that if he charges he wins. Now add in that guy also has reasons to really have at it.

I believe, if I am right, that things are actually moving on with vigor and a will.

Another "in the fullness of time things ...." Seems to be the standard these days.
1 member likes this
by Jeffery J. Haas
Jeffery J. Haas
Originally Posted by Kaine
Another factor that has me leaning towards no convictions on anything is the MAGA base.

What kind of war would it start if Mr. Trump were convicted for anything? Are those that might be looking at prosecution taking that into consideration?

I could see that he would not be charged because they don't want to start a civil war.

Enough with the hand-wringing.
If Trump is convicted, there will be a war.
If he's not convicted, there will be a war.
It doesn't matter, because if he skates, it grants license and if he is convicted, it's a casus belli.

Don't think for a moment that preparations for war have all been set aside. They haven't.
These aren't Tea Party Boomers, these are pissed off Gen-Xers and Millennials. They paid for their little fascist high school prom, they got to "First Base" on January 6 and they're not stopping till they get their fascist edgelord fantasies fulfilled one way or another.

No, not a war like 1861 with secessions, borders, armies.
Think more along the lines of steadily increasing random domestic violence, like The Troubles in Northern Ireland.

History shows what happens if we soft pedal the response. We know what happened eighty years ago.
We also know that other countries have resorted to extraordinary responses when evil makes extraordinary leaps ahead of ordinary justice.

This is a time for choosing.
1 member likes this
by Jeffery J. Haas
Jeffery J. Haas
Originally Posted by Kaine
Another factor that has me leaning towards no convictions on anything is the MAGA base.

What kind of war would it start if Mr. Trump were convicted for anything? Are those that might be looking at prosecution taking that into consideration?

I could see that he would not be charged because they don't want to start a civil war.

Sorry.
I
just
can't
accept
this:

[Linked Image from pbs.twimg.com]
1 member likes this
by pdx rick
pdx rick
1 member likes this
by pdx rick
pdx rick
Trump's clown show:

Expanded executive powers? Who do these people think they are? Dick Cheney? laugh
1 member likes this
by NW Ponderer
NW Ponderer
I spent much of last night reading through the memo. This is what happens when an idiot pokes a bear.

He gave permission for DoJ to reveal so much incriminating evidence. It is thorough, detailed, damning. It also reveals how much effort DoJ (and the FBI) have gone to in the investigation. It is hard for me to imagine indictments will not follow.

As y'all know, I spent a career as a government lawyer. This memo is a thing of professional beauty. This is what happens when a truly professional attorney get really pissed. No mistakes, just the facts presented in the most damning prose possible.

Trump is well and truly f'ed.
1 member likes this
by pdx rick
pdx rick
Originally Posted by Jeffery J. Haas
This is all you need to see.

[Linked Image from static.independent.co.uk]
To be fair, Trump didn't leave the docs that way on the carpet, the FBI did that to document the contents of the box.
1 member likes this
by logtroll
logtroll
Originally Posted by pondering_it_all
>mute point
That would mean "a point that does not speak". I think you meant "moot".
That can't be right... a moot is a mosquito pond around a castle.
1 member likes this
by rporter314
rporter314
the courts have no mechanism to enforce the court orders
Montana is openly defying a court order.

Can't happen in America .... really????? Believe it .... I guess the use of harsh language will make those mean nasty Republicans come to their senses

Now as for the other ..... can't happen in America segment .... some 19 Republican candidates are openly saying they will overturn election results they don't like

When the British surrendered at Yorktown, the myth says they played the diddy, "The world turned upside down". Well I am here to type it .... the old order is gone .... can't happen in America is ancient history, because it is happening as I type .... the world has certainly turned upside down
1 member likes this
by Jeffery J. Haas
Jeffery J. Haas
Originally Posted by Greger
Their goal is American democracy is replaced with authoritarianism and one-party rule.

That's my goal too! Except it's the Democratic Party.

And you haven't been one to lean towards two-party/bi-partisan agreements/solutions much either...what's up with that?

Would Democratic authoritarianism be benevolent and kind to everyone? I like to think it would. With sensible legislation, most of the world's problems could be solved within months.

The superiority of liberal policy would be so apparent that a conservative would be ashamed to even run for office...

And we would all live happily ever after.

No authoritarians of any stripe please.
Lefty authoritarians, by the way, are the ones shaming everybody for views and values that they held thirty or forty years ago, and it's about stupid crap, like shaming Molly Ringwald for The Breakfast Club or Sixteen Candles, or yelling at people over "cultural appropriation" because they like black music when they're white or vice versa.
Or how about all the pronoun nonsense? I can barely remember the two we started with.
Or "Latinx" because they're on a mission to shame Spanish speaking people for daring to have a sexist language that uses linguistic "gender" which means Latino or Latina....too sexist, YOUR language is WRONG and you have to change it: because white guilt!
I live in a 70% hispanic neighborhood and not a single person I know here takes "Latinx" seriously, they think it's an incredibly stupid made up term.

YeahNO...authoritarianism is toxic no matter which side it comes from.
I'll take plain old blue collar Bruce Springsteen Democrats, thanks.
1 member likes this
by Greger
Greger
Springsteen for President!

Because he hates WOKE lefty authoritarians.

And Republicans too!

An authoritarian disguised as a righty or a lefty is still an authoritarian and a government run by an authoritarian has no other ideology than authoritarianism.
1 member likes this
by pondering_it_all
pondering_it_all
I misunderstood the appeals court ruling until I saw this:

Judge Cannon is wrong about everything!

I thought they just overrode the part of Judge Cannon's ruling that kept the FBI from criminally investigating the 100 classified documents until the Special Master finishes his review in November, but then she would still get to decide. But I was wrong. They overruled pretty much everything she made up for Trump. They said Trump AND the Special Master had no entitlement to even look at the documents (much as the Special Master Judge Dearie said earlier). They said Trump has no claim to ownership, classified or not, to those documents. They said they agreed with the DOJ's claims in the appeal time and time again.

I think the legal term that applies here is "tore her a new a-hole". And perhaps the best news is that two of the three appeals court judges who wrote their unanimous ruling were appointed by Donald Trump!
1 member likes this
by NW Ponderer
NW Ponderer
I admit that reading Jeannine Pirro's rant Judge Cannon's Order had me seething and discouraged. Then yesterday happened, and the clouds parted. Between AG Letitia James' filing and the 11th Circuit Order, my faith in the life of the Rule of Law was restored, at least temporarily.

Now to turn to today's news....
1 member likes this
by pondering_it_all
pondering_it_all
Legal pundits are saying the Appeals Court ruling constitutes "a bench slap" of Judge Cannon, and they went MUCH further than they had to to get her restrictions on the classified documents lifted. They overturned just about everything she ruled on, instead of just the things DOJ asked for. A lot of their ruling was actually trying to school Judge Cannon on simple legal principles! I think her career as a federal judge is going to be short-lived. Apparently, they took offense that such an unqualified person could even sit on the bench. I think they might just overturn every ruling she makes in the future. Sort of a "dismissal with prejudice" thing.
1 member likes this