WE NEED YOUR HELP! Please donate to keep ReaderRant online to serve political discussion and its members. (Blue Ridge Photography pays the bills for RR).
Current Topics
Biden to Cancel $10,000 in Student Loan Debt
by Kaine - 05/19/24 10:33 PM
A question
by perotista - 05/19/24 08:06 PM
2024 Election Forum
by jgw - 05/17/24 07:45 PM
No rubbers for Trump
by Kaine - 05/16/24 02:21 PM
Marching in favor of Palestinians
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:38 PM
Yeah, Trump admits he is a pure racist
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:28 PM
Trump's base having second thoughts
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:25 PM
Watching the Supreme Court
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:07 PM
Trump: "Anti-American authoritarian wannabe
by Doug Thompson - 05/05/24 03:27 PM
Fixing/Engineer the Weather
by jgw - 05/03/24 10:52 PM
Earth Day tomorrow
by logtroll - 05/03/24 01:09 AM
Round Table for Spring 2024
by rporter314 - 04/22/24 03:13 AM
To hell with Trump and his cult
by pdx rick - 04/20/24 08:05 PM
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 4 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Agnostic Politico, Jems, robertjohn, BlackCat13th, ruggedman
6,305 Registered Users
Popular Topics(Views)
10,078,473 my own book page
5,016,477 We shall overcome
4,192,797 Campaign 2016
3,792,248 Trump's Trumpet
3,015,610 3 word story game
Top Posters
pdx rick 47,285
Scoutgal 27,583
Phil Hoskins 21,134
Greger 19,831
Towanda 19,391
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
jgw 6
Kaine 1
Forum Statistics
Forums59
Topics17,089
Posts313,786
Members6,305
Most Online294
Dec 6th, 2017
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Thread Like Summary
Jeffery J. Haas, logtroll, NW Ponderer, pdx rick, perotista, rporter314
Original Post (Thread Starter)
by logtroll
logtroll
Regarding the agenda put forth by McCarthy’s House, I predict that the entire upcoming two years of “investigations” and obstruction of good sense will be a series of reruns of the Speaker selection circus - to be known in history as The UnGovernment.

The investigations will be so incompetent, disorganized, and generally chaotic that they will result in little more than a treasure trove of Dem campaign soundbites for 2024. The only downside is that we will see two years of missed opportunities for any actual national problem-solving.
Liked Replies
by rporter314
rporter314
Yeah but ... everyone knows Democrats hold hearings illegitimate hearings. and everyone knows Trump is above the law and when he is not above the law he is not committing crimes even if it looks like a crime because everyone knows only lying eyes see crimes committed by Trump. On the other hand Republicans hold legitimate hearings because they know all the polls have determined Trump did not commit any crimes nor did the 3000 people who stormed the Capitol. Therefore any hearing held regarding J6 is legitimate and will find those who have accused Trump of committing crimes are actually the ones who have committed crimes (against Trump).

I want Rep Jordan to investigate the stolen election. I want him to assemble every Kraken Lady, Pillow Guy, and Rudy, who has alleged fraud of any kind to present their evidence on open hearings .... and of course allow rebuttals by all people who have audited or investigated each of the claims. I want everyone to know about mathematical anomalies, 5th degree polynomials, and Bayesian Analysis ... I want to hear about bamboo and watermarks .... lasers and thermostats ... etc

Basically I want the world to know how delusional these folks are
2 members like this
by rporter314
rporter314
the Democrats first impeachment of Trump ...
Sounds like you don't think the phone records of a call for quid pro quo was not an abuse of office. I will point out that at least two Republicans, Rep McCarthy and Sen Graham, both called it quid pro quo before they had read the call record and then conveniently changed their mind after they read the record. And several news reports had Republicans (read that real Republicans not MAGA-heads) saying in private it was definitely quid pro quo. As a whole Senate Republicans could not bring themselves to convict the de facto head of the party and sole leader of THE BASE. Had it been a Democrat president I would have had no choice but to convict ... it was an abuse of office.

The Republican controlled house needs no valid reason for impeachment
While the use of the word "Republican" is generic for anyone associated with the Republican Party. more to the point and more accurate would be the term "MAGA-head adherents" who guide current agendas. I suspect no real Republican would broach the subject of impeachment, especially based on policy differences. So in a general respect I agree. The MAGA-heads have to seek revenge for Trump and will for whatever reason they can imagine file articles of impeachment ... a dealers choice based on current whims of Trump and/or his loyalists congresspeople.

The border issues are complex and I can not imagine any of the MAGA-heads pragmatically understand them. For impeachment articles it would be a distillation of policy differences, but more importantly I see this as a failure of Congress to address the issue. The executive branch is forced to deal with a problem which it can not legally handle in any respect. It is forced to prioritize a variety of initiatives in an attempt to constrain an increasingly large number of illegals and asylum seekers into a manageable program. My conclusion based on evidence from the last 5 administrations is without a Congressional imprimatur every succeeding administration will be faced with the same problems and there will be no solutions. The wall is not a solution ... just a soundbite for the right. We need real solutions from serious people and the MAGA-heads are not serious. With them in charge of the House there will never be a solution.

I believe there are serious people willing to entertain real solutions, but I also believe none are willing to consider any comprehensive solutions as they would fall far outside the purview of the Rio Grande River. I suspect any attempt at real solutions would have to encompass inclusion of all of the Americas. If I have any hope of wearing sunglasses because the future will be bright, we will have to accept the proposition the peoples of this hemisphere are all in the same boat and we all need to man the oars.
2 members like this
by perotista
perotista
I’ve always had a problem with those who think saying the pledge of allegiance, wearing a flag lapel pin, flying the American Flag makes them more patriotic than others. In this case making it mandatory to say the pledge of allegiance is idiotic to me. These aren’t something that a true patriot would make others do.

Patriotism is shown by one’s actions and devotion to country which all the above doesn’t qualify. At least for me, it takes more than just reciting the pledge or wearing a flag lapel pin or even flying the American flag in one’s yard. A true patriot goes about his business and does what he can for his country without the need of symbolic gestures or symbols. That may sound weird, perhaps crazy, but this is what I believe. One doesn’t wear his patriotism on one’s sleeve or lapel for that matter. It’s all in his actions.
2 members like this
by rporter314
rporter314
Latest debate is over whether elected officials to House can carry guns in Congress. Some may believe it is simply a statement of 2nd Amendment rights (and a bone for the MAGA-heads) but I think different. Remember when I alerted people to possibility Trump may try and remain n WH beyond his term in office? The world changed with that recognition, we are no longer in America, but in some 3rd rate movie written and directed by Trump and is cronies.

Here;s my take. On J6 when MAGA-hreads at the behest of Trump attacked the Capitol, they were eventually thwarted by law enforcement. Suppose 150 House MAGA-heads had been carrying guns. Would they defend Democracy or would they join the insurrection? My bet is the latter. In preparation for 2024, they are now armed (and dangerous). So when they lose the next election, just imagine 150 House MAGA-heads disarming Capitol police and joining the insurrection. Had they been armed on J6, we would be singing praises of the almighty Trump.

We are in dangerous times. Democracy remains on the precipice awaiting a weatherman to warn which way the wind will blow.
2 members like this
by NW Ponderer
NW Ponderer
Originally Posted by logtroll
... they will result in little more than a treasure trove of Dem campaign soundbites for 2024. The only downside is that we will see two years of missed opportunities for any actual national problem-solving.
That is all they are intended to be. The GOP has devolved into a collection of YouTubers and Twitter Trolls. The most honest moment of the McCarthy fiasco was Mike Rogers going after Matt Gaetz (why did anyone restrain him!?).

The collective wisdom of the GOP couldn't fill a teacup.
1 member likes this
by logtroll
logtroll
If the Democrats didn’t believe or think the GOP would retaliate and escalate, they were mighty dumb.

Of course, everybody knew that. The point of the OP is that their brash and bumbling incompetence is not going to favorably impress anyone who is not already deeply delusional, and it is likely that their infighting will increase. My prediction is that GOP power is scheduled to erode significantly, due to who and what they have become.

There is no comparison between what Trump was impeached for (either time), nor his criminality to what the Reeps threaten. The performance of the J6 committee was incredibly well researched and orchestrated. Did you notice that they used only right-wing testimony to make their case? The Reeps' performances are guaranteed to be s**tshows.

The idea that if a right action is taken against a wrongdoer is inadvisable, because the wingnuts will retaliate, is a capitulation to a spiral into social and political decay. Frankly, I find it encouraging that the Dems are not much willing to play the retaliation/escalation game.
1 member likes this
by NW Ponderer
NW Ponderer
I am going to make two predictions, and am willing to take odds on them for a reasonable wager: First, George Santos will not be a Member of Congress for very long (probably the first to go), and certainly will not fill out his term; second, McCarthy will not finish the 118th Congress as Speaker, and may not remain a Member after his fall.

There will be a public and sustained outcry over the incapacitation of ethics investigations and the purpose and machinations of the "Committee to Obstruct Justice", especially if it is peopled with insurrectionists, as appears likely.

McCarthy will have no control over the Republican caucus, and that is going to be immediately fatal to his "Sqeakership". There has already been a complete fiasco regarding the House Rules.

On the other hand, don't expect moderate Republicans to exert any control, either. They talk a big game, but they elected McCarthy and voted for the House Rules. They will be easy to keep in line and silent.
1 member likes this
by perotista
perotista
I think you’re correct on Santos. But I doubt McCarthy will do anything, that it may come from a recall vote in his district or from lawsuits and ethics charges filed in his districts by both parties. McCarthy will probably be removed as soon as he crosses the MAGA faction. A speaker with a pair, McCarthy certainly is not.

I’m however not certain about the public outcry. It probably will come from just one section or faction on the political landscape. Most independents, the largest of these factions has for the most part ceased paying attention to the goings on in Washington until the next election nears.

Republican moderates or the non-MAGA faction within the Republican Party and in the House aren’t the vocal type. The non-MAGA types aren’t all one united faction either, but many factions. They’re not headline seekers like the MAGA’s are. You’re probably right, most of these non-MAGA types will go along just to get along. But if they see another losing election in 2024 like they had in 2018, 2020, 2022, they might just grow a pair. I’d say right now they are silently hoping the Democrats are successful in ditching Trump for them. They don’t want to get their hands dirty doing the job they should be doing or did a long time ago. The non-MAGA Republicans are basically leaderless and rudderless.
1 member likes this
by rporter314
rporter314
Apparently when the facts or the truth hits you in the butt you have to confer with a poll to find out if it really happened.

You don’t give an owl’s hoot what all of America thinks, believes, wants, wishes for etc. Just what your 30% of this country think, believe, want and wishes for.
My 30%!!!!! I represent one person who is only interested in the facts. You must be in the 70% (based on your numbers) who don't care about the facts. My argument was a fact based analysis of a purported stolen election. You apparently must believe the election was stolen, otherwise as an objective person you would have recognized a compelling and non-partisan nature argument.

Best I can figure is you don't care what the facts are, only what people believe. I take a different approach to understanding reality and it starts with knowing what the facts are. You apparently on the other hand need a poll to tell you what people believe reality is.

Look .... sometimes in life one has to tell it as it is. When the dealer turns an ace on the flop, you don't ask the table players for a poll .... you say well that's an ace.

When you say you're interested in what all Americans believe, it sounds as if all you're doing is finding a rationalization for avoiding facing the facts or truth. A "random" group of people completing a questionnaire does not determine the facts or the truth. Truth stands on a foundation of facts, not polls.

So was the 2020 election stolen from Trump? Surely you can accumulate and analyze the resulting facts without consulting a poll? Was there an insurrection on J6 2021? Surely you can accumulate and analyze the resulting facts without consulting a poll? The WHOLE nation is waiting in bated breathe to hear your answers.
1 member likes this
by Jeffery J. Haas
Jeffery J. Haas
"The very people who didn't comply with subpoenas of the House want to be the Speaker of the House and chair of the Judiciary Committee of the House and they want to enforce subpoenas that they wouldn't even answer themselves."

~Elaine Luria, former Democratic Representative, 2nd District, VA and member of
Select Committee to Investigate the January 6 Attack on the United States Capitol
1 member likes this
by Jeffery J. Haas
Jeffery J. Haas
And just like that the Biden Documents Scandal dies...

Justin Rosario of The Banter

"One of these things is not like the others"
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
1 member likes this
by logtroll
logtroll
A test of patriotism also should not be based on who you hate.
1 member likes this
by rporter314
rporter314
can't sell victimhood without a victim and Republicans are obviously victims of biggly Democrat voter fraud wink
1 member likes this
by Jeffery J. Haas
Jeffery J. Haas
Originally Posted by rporter314
Latest debate is over whether elected officials to House can carry guns in Congress. Some may believe it is simply a statement of 2nd Amendment rights (and a bone for the MAGA-heads) but I think different. Remember when I alerted people to possibility Trump may try and remain n WH beyond his term in office? The world changed with that recognition, we are no longer in America, but in some 3rd rate movie written and directed by Trump and is cronies.

Here;s my take. On J6 when MAGA-hreads at the behest of Trump attacked the Capitol, they were eventually thwarted by law enforcement. Suppose 150 House MAGA-heads had been carrying guns. Would they defend Democracy or would they join the insurrection? My bet is the latter. In preparation for 2024, they are now armed (and dangerous). So when they lose the next election, just imagine 150 House MAGA-heads disarming Capitol police and joining the insurrection. Had they been armed on J6, we would be singing praises of the almighty Trump.

We are in dangerous times. Democracy remains on the precipice awaiting a weatherman to warn which way the wind will blow.

They are, in fact, planning the final phase of the insurrection in front of our very noses, very possibly beginning with an assassination, and we lack the stomach to force them out as any strong nation would seem to do.
1 member likes this