Capitol Hill Blue
via Financial Times

Ol’ Joe will make a big announcement on TU 12/13/22 that scientists have figured out how to get a net gain of energy via fusion. Humanity and our planet could use this win. smile
I'm with you on this. I don't think I'll see it, but I hope that my children will. I suspect you are young enough to see it, too. But it'll take 20-30 years to make it viable as an energy production process. Then we'll have to consider all the second and third order effects of relying on it.
Benjamin Franklin discovered electricity in 1752.

How long did it take before someone could plug into a socket to make things work?
Originally Posted by pdx rick
Benjamin Franklin discovered electricity in 1752.

How long did it take before someone could plug into a socket to make things work?

Commercial arc-lighting began in England around 1830, so that's only ONE of the first practical uses of electric power, at least in a public setting anyway.

The real reason it took so many decades to implement practical consumer electric infrastructure is because for many decades it was a solution in search of a problem.
So for the sake of debate, I humbly suggest a better analogy would be something like
"How long did it take after residential electric lighting became a reality for consumer appliances to appear?"

What Came First? Electric Appliances Timeline

1938 GE unit might be the oldest working fridge in the world.

[Linked Image from nypost.com]
© ReaderRant