Capitol Hill Blue
Posted By: logtroll Now reading Breakfast With Buddha - 04/25/22 02:18 PM
Excellent book. Funny and deep... It doesn't hurt that I have had some large experience with many of the cultures and landscapes the story is set in.

"Set beside the mandala of meaning that Rinpoche had laid out for me in the German restaurant, the ideas of the radio talkers seemed like nothing more than the clack and bubble of bickering hens, the oink and push of hogs. I looked at the stars. The world had not changed, not really. With all our impressive technological achievements - the book, the automobile, the airplane, the computer, the looping satellites bouncing TV shows into dry, well-heated homes - we were still the species described in the first parts of the Bible. Some of us murdered and stole and raped; some of us spent our lives chasing money or distraction, or the so-called sense pleasures. The family, the village, the the tribe, the nation - we formed ourselves into units in the hope of escaping or softening or denying a kind of ultimate loneliness. And then, conversely, we still seemed to need to divide ourselves into "us" and "them", liberal and conservative, black and white, native and immigrant, man and woman, believer and nonbeliever, Jew and Christian and Muslim and Buddhist and Hindu. We still laughed. We still faced death on a field of interior solitariness."
From "Breakfast with Buddha" to "Coffee With Jesus"...

[Linked Image from img-9gag-fun.9cache.com]
© ReaderRant