WE NEED YOUR HELP! Please donate to keep ReaderRant online to serve political discussion and its members. (Blue Ridge Photography pays the bills for RR).
Current Topics
Biden to Cancel $10,000 in Student Loan Debt
by pdx rick - 05/19/24 10:52 PM
A question
by perotista - 05/19/24 08:06 PM
2024 Election Forum
by jgw - 05/17/24 07:45 PM
No rubbers for Trump
by Kaine - 05/16/24 02:21 PM
Marching in favor of Palestinians
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:38 PM
Yeah, Trump admits he is a pure racist
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:28 PM
Trump's base having second thoughts
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:25 PM
Watching the Supreme Court
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:07 PM
Trump: "Anti-American authoritarian wannabe
by Doug Thompson - 05/05/24 03:27 PM
Fixing/Engineer the Weather
by jgw - 05/03/24 10:52 PM
Earth Day tomorrow
by logtroll - 05/03/24 01:09 AM
Round Table for Spring 2024
by rporter314 - 04/22/24 03:13 AM
To hell with Trump and his cult
by pdx rick - 04/20/24 08:05 PM
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 3 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Agnostic Politico, Jems, robertjohn, BlackCat13th, ruggedman
6,305 Registered Users
Popular Topics(Views)
10,078,574 my own book page
5,016,696 We shall overcome
4,192,797 Campaign 2016
3,792,248 Trump's Trumpet
3,015,949 3 word story game
Top Posters
pdx rick 47,286
Scoutgal 27,583
Phil Hoskins 21,134
Greger 19,831
Towanda 19,391
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
jgw 6
Kaine 1
Forum Statistics
Forums59
Topics17,089
Posts313,787
Members6,305
Most Online294
Dec 6th, 2017
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#171980 01/08/11 07:39 PM
K
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
K
I know this is older news but if it was discussed earlier I missed it.

Personally I like NPR but his firing was ridiculous and not a feather in the cap of NPR. Honestly--we all have certain reactions to many people we meet in the course of our lives. To not admit that is being a little dishonest methinks.

Interview

Last edited by Ken Hill; 01/08/11 07:43 PM.

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.
old hand
old hand
I disagree, there are certain limitations that any journalist is expected to abide by. I would like to know what would happen if a "journalist" was to express the opinion that when they stepped on a plane, and witnessed someone holding the bible they got nervous. Or if someone stepped on a plane and saw a black man. How would Juan have reacted to that kind of statement? The firing was justified and good riddance to Juan Williams. The mistake NPR made was to slither on their stomachs after they made the decision because a couple conservatives on fox news got their panties in a wad.

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I�
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.
I
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
I
Originally Posted by Ken Hill
I know this is older news but if it was discussed earlier I missed it.

Personally I like NPR but his firing was ridiculous and not a feather in the cap of NPR. Honestly--we all have certain reactions to many people we meet in the course of our lives. To not admit that is being a little dishonest methinks.

Interview
I think it is obvious that the CEO and other "suits" running the business have their knives out for the guy. He probably was not 'black' enough for them.:-)
Yours,
Issodhos

"When all has been said that can be said, and all has been done that can be done, there will be poetry";-) -- Issodhos
I
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
I
Originally Posted by Redheat
I disagree, there are certain limitations that any journalist is expected to abide by. I would like to know what would happen if a "journalist" was to express the opinion that when they stepped on a plane, and witnessed someone holding the bible they got nervous. Or if someone stepped on a plane and saw a black man. How would Juan have reacted to that kind of statement?
Is he a "journalist"? Anyway, we know what Jessie Jackson's reaction was when he heard footsteps on the sidewalk behind him and he turned to look and was relieved that it was a 'white' guy and not a non-'white' (a.k.a. 'black'). If the "journalist were also 'black' and, at minimum, a modern liberal (what other kind of NPR journalist is there:-)) it would be considered an expression of personal angst and a remnant of historic imprinting. And, in all probability, if the Bible holder was a 'white' male, and the Bible was a Christian version, and the "journalist" was anything other than an American 'white' heterosexual male, NPR would cheer the journalist and go to great lengths to rationalize why the "journalist" responded as s/he did. Such is my opinion -- your milage may vary.;-)
Yours,
Issodhos

"When all has been said that can be said, and all has been done that can be done, there will be poetry";-) -- Issodhos
old hand
old hand
Do I consider Juan Williams a journalist? no, does he? I believe so. Jessie Jackson is not a journalist so not sure how that would compare. I'm also not going to get into a hypothetical debate on what NPR may have or not have done. Bottom line, Juan Williams was a paid "journalist" for NPR, he made a racist statement on Fox News. He was fired for it, which was legal and right. He now is a paid "journalist" with Fox News so he is being paid and is finally in the arms of his right wing compatriots. Personally I'm sick and tired of seeing NPR allow itself to be beat about the face with uninformed statements from the right about their "liberal" bias. Face it the conservatives won't be happy until every media outlet in this country is just like Fox News.

K
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
K
Red--I don’t want to make more of this than necessary but I would not consider Williams remarks to be “racist.” If you listened to the interview closely I linked, Williams distinctly referred to the way they were dressed and not who they were. So I would associate his reaction with a sort of “uniform aversion.”

If they were the very same people dressed in snappy western style suits and clean shaven I doubt he would have looked twice. Or even reacted in any way. They would have been invisible to him.

An aside. I think Williams reaction was mainly silly because it is doubtful any terrorists worth their Semtex would attempt to hijack a jet dressed in full Arab (or any non Western flavor)) regalia. If that were the case we would have absolutely no concern about jets falling from the sky. They really aren’t that stupid.

old hand
old hand
I understand the difference you seem to think exists, but I still respectfully disagree. Judging someone on how they dress is just as racist as judging someone for the color of their skin, or for their religion. As a journalist he should know better because statements like that only give permission for people to feel free to judge someone because of how they dress, and what religion they choose.

K
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
K
OK then. But I want to challenge you with this one thought. Let's say you were standing in line somewhere--anywhere--and then walked up right beside you a full bird colonel (or any flag officer) of the US Marines, dressed in full uniform with a slew campaign ribbons and metals glistening. I don't care his/her skin color.

Or a fully patched up, tattooed, teeth missing, head scarred and leathered biker.

Would either elicit any reaction in your psyche?

old hand
old hand
I sat behind two women in burka's and a man in full muslim garb on a plane around the anniversary day of 9/11, I have tats and have worked with many "scary" looking people with them, all but a couple were pussycats and I have respect for anyone who puts on a uniform.

I'll end this with this thought. If it's acceptable for someone to be "nervous" by looking at a muslim in traditional dress, then is it acceptable to claim a woman deserved to be raped because of the way she was dressed? Both are judgments based solely on the appearance.

K
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
K
Well Red-a biker wouldn't scare me anyway and family members have been in the service. I was trying to come up with an analogy and they weren't very good.

But I do think many of us make snap decisions about the way someone appears. I know I do at times--then try to deal with it in a rational manner. Williams silliness played right into the hands of Fox however and for that I am annoyed.

Link Copied to Clipboard