WE NEED YOUR HELP! Please donate to keep ReaderRant online to serve political discussion and its members. (Blue Ridge Photography pays the bills for RR).
Current Topics
Biden to Cancel $10,000 in Student Loan Debt
by pdx rick - 05/19/24 10:52 PM
A question
by perotista - 05/19/24 08:06 PM
2024 Election Forum
by jgw - 05/17/24 07:45 PM
No rubbers for Trump
by Kaine - 05/16/24 02:21 PM
Marching in favor of Palestinians
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:38 PM
Yeah, Trump admits he is a pure racist
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:28 PM
Trump's base having second thoughts
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:25 PM
Watching the Supreme Court
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:07 PM
Trump: "Anti-American authoritarian wannabe
by Doug Thompson - 05/05/24 03:27 PM
Fixing/Engineer the Weather
by jgw - 05/03/24 10:52 PM
Earth Day tomorrow
by logtroll - 05/03/24 01:09 AM
Round Table for Spring 2024
by rporter314 - 04/22/24 03:13 AM
To hell with Trump and his cult
by pdx rick - 04/20/24 08:05 PM
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 3 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Agnostic Politico, Jems, robertjohn, BlackCat13th, ruggedman
6,305 Registered Users
Popular Topics(Views)
10,078,574 my own book page
5,016,696 We shall overcome
4,192,797 Campaign 2016
3,792,248 Trump's Trumpet
3,015,949 3 word story game
Top Posters
pdx rick 47,286
Scoutgal 27,583
Phil Hoskins 21,134
Greger 19,831
Towanda 19,391
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
jgw 6
Kaine 1
Forum Statistics
Forums59
Topics17,089
Posts313,787
Members6,305
Most Online294
Dec 6th, 2017
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
J
jgw Offline
old hand
old hand
J
Originally Posted by Irked
Originally Posted by jgw
Irked;
I am a little confused. Are you saying that our infrastructure is dandy and private industry will take care of whatever we need? http://www.infrastructurereportcard.org/

Perhaps you are suggesting that private industry is going to 'donate' the over 2 trillion dollars to fix it?

So, you are against gov paying to fix it?

I also don't understand your thought that private industry can fix it better than gov. To my knowledge gov doesn't actually do anything but fund the fix which, then, is accomplished by private industry. I am, obviously, missing something here?

I am, obviously, not understanding exactly what you are saying. Perhaps you could clarify a little?

Of course.

There's no question about the private sector "donating" anything. However, private industry is more than willing to provide the goods and services people are willing to pay for.

If government would go away, if there was an end to regulations on industry and an end to the blatant Statist theft of property and money from Americans, the Free Market would provide all the infrastructure people deem is worthy of their hard-earned money.

Under the only True and Sensible way of doing things, people would get exactly the infrastructure they want and not some Liberal Elite toy like "High Speed" rail or Scientific flim-flam like "Green Energy" or a job and patient-killing Communist take over of health care. Those who believe that a real, American economy could be based on anything other than private automobiles and the burning of fossil fuels are either delusional or shills for the Eco-Sci-Fascist.

Thank you!
I now understand what you are saying. I apologize as I now realize that you are a classic Libertarian. I myself am not but I do understand the sentiment.<G>

I guess I should also tell you that admire your ability to believe as I lost that one a long time ago.

old hand
old hand
Unfortunately there is no direct way to stop them, even though it's obvious they are intent on destroying America. I was particularly incensed when Rush Limbaugh said:

"This guy [Loughner] clearly understands he’s getting all the attention and he understands he’s got a political party doing everything it can, plus a local sheriff, doing everything that they can to make sure he's not convicted of murder."

This is so utterly false and so utterly irresponsible that it ought to be actionable. But it isn't. As long as he doesn't shout fire in a crowded theater or specifically call for the assassination of the President good old Rush can say just about anything he wants to, as can all of these people.

The only thing I can think of that would in any way stop these people is to hit them in the pocketbook. If each of their sponsors got 100,000 or a million letters telling them they would not buy their products they might get the message.

There's a company called Food Insurance (they sell dehydrated food by scaring you into thinking the end of the United States is nigh). I sent this message to their response line day before yesterday:

I was going to buy your product until I saw that you sponsor Rush Limbaugh. As long as you sponsor that sort of message you will never see a dime of my money, nor will you see the dimes of any of my friends or relatives.

Just between you and me I was not really going to buy their products, but I wanted to see what would happen.

Here's the response, verbatim:

To: (my email address)
Sent: Wed, Jan 12, 2011 11:35 am
Subject: RE: Foodinsurance.com contact us form

Thank you for your interest in food insurance, I do apologize that you feel that way. Glen beck as well as others to mention our product and promote it. Im certain once you do try our product , I'm sure you would be please. We do have samples. They are $5.00 a piece (including shipping and handling) and we offer the following options; Lasagna, Beef Stroganoff, Beef Stew, or Chicken ala King. You would need to make the payment before any are sent out. We accept all major credit cards, you can call our corporate office to place the order at 866-946-8366. You samples will be shipped out UPS within 24 hours of placing your order. So if you would like to give us a chance I'm sure you would be pleased.

Thanks again .

Bryan Fisher
Food insurance
1-866-946-8366

My response to Mr. Fisher was:

You just don't understand. I am not buying your product BECAUSE you support that rabble rousing group of pinheads. They are the scum of the earth and their sponsors are little better. I do not care if your product is the best product on earth. I will not buy it, and I will advocate to the many friends and relatives I have that they refrain from buying from you as a protest of your sponsorship of evil.

You too can google and find on the internet lists of Limbaugh's sponsors, some of them provided by people who want us to write in support of Limbaugh. You can also write to those who sponsor Glen Beck, Hanritty, etc. It only takes a couple of minutes and who knows, you might get a response as ungrammatical and brain-dead as the one I got. Maybe we could have a contest!

Take the nacilbupeR pledge: I solemnly swear that I will help back out all Republicans at the next election.
veteran
veteran
'
JGW:

Irked is pulling your leg.

Quite hard. · · · wink

{It is my firm opinion that there would be a lot less violence and hysteria in the United States if Americans were able to develop an elementary sense of humor---and at least some ability to see the absurdity of American life!)

old hand
old hand
I would settle for the media actually doing their jobs. I truly wish Americans possessed enough foresight to not be swayed by "talking points" or willing to listen to debate that does not just justify their opinions. However we are human beings so that won't happen so that leaves the media. Time after time I see headlines splashed across a website of words that can only be described as seeded in hate. It isn't just that but there is now a competition on the outrageous. Why? it sells. It's a 24/7 business, and now not only does sex sell but hate sells as well. It would be nice to see our country get back to a more civil tone, but lets be honest about it, it is not going to happen. Not only is there too much $$$ on the line for the politicians to the lobbyist to the high powered corporations, but Americans need to vent their anger somewhere so they take the easiest route and aim the blame at whomever the media decides can sell the most airtime.

I will p.s. this statement by admitting their are journalist that exist who truly want to write objective informative pieces. Sadly their voices are drowned out because they simply cannot produce the revenue for their corporate owners.

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I�
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.
veteran
veteran
'
Originally Posted by Redheat
I would settle for the media actually doing their jobs....

I will p.s. this statement by admitting their are journalist that exist who truly want to write objective informative pieces. Sadly their voices are drowned out because they simply cannot produce the revenue for their corporate owners.
That anyone can imagine that there is a "free press" in the United States shows that there is still something that Americans can do well---brainwash people.

Do not think that newspapers are all about making money for their immediate owners. Those who rule the USA are quite prepared to take a loss on their propaganda organs, provided these organs keep people in the dark about larger issues.

I have been re-reading H. G. Wells Shape of Things to Come, published 1933. Much of it is quaint; it is impossible, in general, to predict the future in detail. But it holds up surprisingly well, and displays far more acumen than one finds in the much more brainwashed and suborned "intellectuals" of our own unfortunate era.

People were not trained to remark the correlations of things; for the most part they were not aware that there was any correlation between things; they imagined this side of life might change and that remain unaltered. The industrialists and financiers built up these monstrous armaments and imposed them on the governments of the time, with a disregard of consequences that seems now absolutely imbecile.... But they wanted their dividends. And in order to pay them those dividends, the dread of war and the need of war had to be kept alive in the public mind.

That was done most conveniently through the Press. You could buy a big newspaper in those days, lock, stock and barrel, for five or ten million dollars, and the profits made on one single battleship came to more than that. Naturally, and according to the best business traditions, the newspapers hired or sold themselves to the war salesmen. What was wrong in that? Telling the news in those days was a trade, not a public duty. A daily paper that had dealt faithfully with this accumulating danger would quite as naturally and necessarily have found its distribution impeded, have found itself vigorously outdone by more richly endowed competitors, able because of their wealth to buy up all the most attractive features, able to outdo it in every way with the common reader.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard