WE NEED YOUR HELP! Please donate to keep ReaderRant online to serve political discussion and its members. (Blue Ridge Photography pays the bills for RR).
Current Topics
Biden to Cancel $10,000 in Student Loan Debt
by pdx rick - 05/19/24 10:52 PM
A question
by perotista - 05/19/24 08:06 PM
2024 Election Forum
by jgw - 05/17/24 07:45 PM
No rubbers for Trump
by Kaine - 05/16/24 02:21 PM
Marching in favor of Palestinians
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:38 PM
Yeah, Trump admits he is a pure racist
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:28 PM
Trump's base having second thoughts
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:25 PM
Watching the Supreme Court
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:07 PM
Trump: "Anti-American authoritarian wannabe
by Doug Thompson - 05/05/24 03:27 PM
Fixing/Engineer the Weather
by jgw - 05/03/24 10:52 PM
Earth Day tomorrow
by logtroll - 05/03/24 01:09 AM
Round Table for Spring 2024
by rporter314 - 04/22/24 03:13 AM
To hell with Trump and his cult
by pdx rick - 04/20/24 08:05 PM
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 8 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Agnostic Politico, Jems, robertjohn, BlackCat13th, ruggedman
6,305 Registered Users
Popular Topics(Views)
10,080,879 my own book page
5,017,073 We shall overcome
4,194,406 Campaign 2016
3,794,538 Trump's Trumpet
3,017,678 3 word story game
Top Posters
pdx rick 47,286
Scoutgal 27,583
Phil Hoskins 21,134
Greger 19,831
Towanda 19,391
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
jgw 6
Kaine 1
Forum Statistics
Forums59
Topics17,089
Posts313,787
Members6,305
Most Online294
Dec 6th, 2017
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
I
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
I
Originally Posted by churlpat lives
I was struck by the American flag behind Palin's left shoulder.
Next time don't stand so close. LOL
Yours in humor,
Issodhos

"When all has been said that can be said, and all has been done that can be done, there will be poetry";-) -- Issodhos
CHB-OG
CHB-OG
Originally Posted by churlpat lives
I was struck by the American flag behind Palin's left shoulder.
Originally Posted by issodhos
Next time don't stand so close. LOL

[Linked Image from i48.photobucket.com], [Linked Image from i48.photobucket.com]

Contrarian, extraordinaire

veteran
veteran
'
Originally Posted by california rick
The CIA is the biggest narco-trafficker in the World.
Don't forget the essential work of the Banks in laundering the drug money. · · · [Linked Image from t0.gstatic.com]

old hand
old hand
Actually you should not address a former as their prior title. She is no longer Gov. that title is only for the person who is actually the acting Gov. She would be the "honorable" or "former Gov." Ms. Palin is an acceptable title under the official rules of Form of Address.

That being said, all I can say is should someone decide to gloom onto another's editorial column with the intent of using their material. They should at the very least understand said material. It is obvious that Ms. Palin did not comprehend the term "blood libel". All in all I could not be more pleased that she decided to produce this little piece of video. Everytime she opens her mouth a little more stupid comes tumbling out and the result one can only hope, is that Americans finally see how absent of intelligence she really is.

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I�
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Redheat
It is obvious that Ms. Palin did not comprehend the term "blood libel".

She knew quite well what she was saying. It was intended to appeal to her fanbase and ratchet up further a hideous rhetorical environment in which demagogues thrive.

"The basic tool for the manipulation of reality is the manipulation of words. If you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use the words."
(Philip K.Dick)

veteran
veteran
'
Americans have always had a strong tendency to address people by former titles. A good example is from Mrs. Frances Trollope's amusing and informative 1832 book Domestic Manners of the Americans:

"The gentlemen in the cabin (we had no ladies) would certainly neither from their language, manners, nor appearance, have received that designation in Europe; but we soon found their claim to it rested on more substantial ground, for we heard them nearly all addressed by the titles of general, colonel, and major. On mentioning these military dignities to an English friend some time afterward, he told me that he too had made the voyage with the same description of company , but remarking that there was not a single captain among them; he made the observation to a fellow-passenger, and asked how he accounted for it. 'Oh, sir, the captains are all
[sleeping] on deck,' was the reply.

Our honours, however, were not all military, for we had a judge among us. I know it is equally easy and invidious to ridicule the peculiarities of appearance and manner in people of a different nation from ourselves; we may, too, at the same moment, be undergoing the same ordeal in their estimation; and, moreover, I am by no means disposed to consider whatever is new to me as therefore objectionable; but, nevertheless, it was impossible not to feel repugnance to many of the novelties that now surrounded me.

The total want of all the usual courtesies of the table, the voracious rapidity with which the viands were seized and devoured; the strange uncouth phrases and pronunciation; the loathsome spitting, from the contamination of which it was absolutely impossible to protect our dresses; the frightful manner of feeding with their knives, till the whole blade seemed to enter into the mouth; and the still more frightful manner of cleaning the teeth afterward with a pocket knife, soon forced us to feel that we were not surrounded by the generals, colonels, and majors of the Old World; and that the dinner hour was to be any thing rather than an hour of enjoyment.

The little conversation that went forward, while we remained in the room was entirely political, and the respective claims of Adams and Jackson to the presidency were argued with more oaths and more vehemence than it had ever been my lot to hear. Once a colonel appeared on the verge of assaulting a major, when a huge seven-foot Kentuckian "gentleman" horse-dealer asked of the heavens to confound them both, and bade them sit still and be d--d."

CHB-OG
CHB-OG
Originally Posted by Redheat
It is obvious that Ms. Palin did not comprehend the term "blood libel".

Originally Posted by Schlack
She knew quite well what she was saying. It was intended to appeal to her fanbase and ratchet up further a hideous rhetorical environment in which demagogues thrive.
In reading many analysis of both the left and the right of Ms. Palin's speech, I'm siding with Schlacky on this one. Ms. Palin, first of all, doesn't write her own stuff - her staff does, and secondly, she is very keen on what she says. She uses "code words" to "talk" to her base.

Ms. Palin saw herself, metaphorically, as a victimized Jew of the 12th century because of the Tuscon tragedy and that was exactly what she was trying to convey to her "base."

Jewish Americans are not having any of Ms. Palin's bullpoop and are outraged by Ms. Palin's use of the words.

SIDEBAR: I finally found a well written piece to prove the assertion that I hold that Evangelicals support Israel for one reason only: Israel must exist in order for the second coming of Christ.

CHB-OG
CHB-OG
Originally Posted by california rick
The CIA is the biggest narco-trafficker in the World.
Originally Posted by numan
Don't forget the essential work of the Banks in laundering the drug money. · · · [Linked Image from t0.gstatic.com]
Indeed! smile

old hand
old hand
Some instances of appellation after separation are honorary in nature. It is, I understand from somewhere in my dim dark past, perfectly acceptable to refer to former/retired judges as Judge so-and-so, just as it is apparently acceptable to call former coaches by the title "coach." Why? I have no idea.

As far as political figures, though, to the best of my knowledge the only such title that it's acceptable to use is Mr. President for former presidents of the US. I suspect it's in recognition of the office, not the person.

Take the nacilbupeR pledge: I solemnly swear that I will help back out all Republicans at the next election.
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard