WE NEED YOUR HELP! Please donate to keep ReaderRant online to serve political discussion and its members. (Blue Ridge Photography pays the bills for RR).
Current Topics
Biden to Cancel $10,000 in Student Loan Debt
by pdx rick - 05/19/24 10:52 PM
A question
by perotista - 05/19/24 08:06 PM
2024 Election Forum
by jgw - 05/17/24 07:45 PM
No rubbers for Trump
by Kaine - 05/16/24 02:21 PM
Marching in favor of Palestinians
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:38 PM
Yeah, Trump admits he is a pure racist
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:28 PM
Trump's base having second thoughts
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:25 PM
Watching the Supreme Court
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:07 PM
Trump: "Anti-American authoritarian wannabe
by Doug Thompson - 05/05/24 03:27 PM
Fixing/Engineer the Weather
by jgw - 05/03/24 10:52 PM
Earth Day tomorrow
by logtroll - 05/03/24 01:09 AM
Round Table for Spring 2024
by rporter314 - 04/22/24 03:13 AM
To hell with Trump and his cult
by pdx rick - 04/20/24 08:05 PM
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 3 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Agnostic Politico, Jems, robertjohn, BlackCat13th, ruggedman
6,305 Registered Users
Popular Topics(Views)
10,078,574 my own book page
5,016,696 We shall overcome
4,192,797 Campaign 2016
3,792,248 Trump's Trumpet
3,015,949 3 word story game
Top Posters
pdx rick 47,286
Scoutgal 27,583
Phil Hoskins 21,134
Greger 19,831
Towanda 19,391
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
jgw 6
Kaine 1
Forum Statistics
Forums59
Topics17,089
Posts313,787
Members6,305
Most Online294
Dec 6th, 2017
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Pooh-Bah
OP Offline
Pooh-Bah
Ronald Reagan's son: Alzheimer's seen during presidency

Ron Reagan writes he had an inkling of trouble three years into his father's first term.

Later, watching his father debate 1984 Democratic presidential nominee Walter Mondale, "I began to experience the nausea of a bad dream coming true," Ron Reagan wrote.

"Some voters were beginning to imagine grandpa -- who can never find his reading glasses -- in charge of a bristling nuclear arsenal, and it was making them nervous," said Ron Reagan, according to a published excerpt of his book.

"Worse, my father now seemed to be giving them legitimate reason for concern. My heart sank as he floundered his way through his responses, fumbling with his notes, uncharacteristically lost for words. He looked tired and bewildered."

Reagan should have retired for health reasons at the end of his first term, if not before that. We have a system in place that will keep up a facade even when a president is incapacitated, dismissing anyone protesting as partisan.

Last edited by pondering_it_all; 01/15/11 10:21 PM. Reason: fixed title
old hand
old hand
Nancy and his other handlers did the same sort of things that Edith Wilson did for about 18 months from 1919 to March of 1921, only for a lot longer and with a lot more secrecy. The Presidency as an institution was vastly different from what it had been two generations earlier, much more "public."

Take the nacilbupeR pledge: I solemnly swear that I will help back out all Republicans at the next election.
Pooh-Bah
OP Offline
Pooh-Bah
Maybe our Presidential debates should have real qualified debate judges and scoreboards: Their current form relies on viewers to act as the judges, and most don't seem qualified to judge anything other than "how candidate X made me feel".

On the other hand, even the least-sophisticated viewer understands a scoreboard. If a debater consistently wandered off-topic and failed to respond to their opponent's points, then real judges would dock them points. A blow-out would make it very clear that the loser is not fit to serve, even if he or she IS good-looking or has an endearing personality.

Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
I think that "judging" a debate is open to all sorts of subjectivity

Moe effective IMO would be mandatory yearly medical testing for cognitive impairment after the age of 60. and every 3 months should any test show potential cause for concern. After a fourth test with abnormal results, the results should be made public.

The political reality is that when a president loses power, those around him will also lose power... and so there is a tremendous incentive to ignore any problem.

Individuals afflicted with cognitive impairment become fairly expert at covering up their limitations... not wanting to admit the problem to themselves, or to others. Also, this sort of affliction tends to be variable in it's manifestation... so that, in the initial stages, very often the person will seem entirely normal and you think you must be imagining something.

IMO the Iran Contra affair was a clear indication of how government operations can get out of control when the chief executive is not in full command of his cognition.

"It's not a lie if you believe it." -- George Costanza
The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves. --Bertrand Russel
CHB-OG
CHB-OG
Proper title of thread: Like, duh, dad had Alzheimer's.

When the good President would rather take naps and watch TV and turn things over to his VP, GHW Bush, former CIA Chief, Iran-Contra involver, Ollie North's WH contact - something is going on - and I dare say - not showing sound judgment by the good President. [Linked Image from i48.photobucket.com]

...and just who authorized the midnight tours of the White House in 1989 while the good President slept?

Most likely, a Bohemian Grove attendee [Linked Image from i48.photobucket.com]

Contrarian, extraordinaire

veteran
veteran
It still isnt well highlighted just how ill Roosevelt was during the last year of his presidency.

"The basic tool for the manipulation of reality is the manipulation of words. If you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use the words."
(Philip K.Dick)

I had a personal contact with President Reagan and my appreciation of his desire for individual freedoms began to fade in his second term. The morning he was shot, Maureen, his daughter was in my office. I wanted to discuss this pro-choice daughter if her father would continue his agenda. The Secret Service moved her out and onto a plane for DC. I attended a convention in Seattle where Ron Junior was given a lovely award for his work for individuals. I will receive his book probably tomorrow and hope he can clarify the difference in agenda items during his Dad's second term.

President Reagan did not have a quick-fire response to anything, including the debates, and took time to put his words before the audience. I received many emails claiming I have been lying about this great man's agenda. The religious right has come to believe that he brought in the Evangelical concepts into the government. I can never understand his lack of action under the threat of AIDs. I hope the book clears this up.

I understood the Fiscal Conservativism that brought Ronald Reagan into running for Governor. I was a Docent at the Hearst Castle where he was around for the new building that helped explain the Hearst Empire and how the castle was planned. It was the only Park that made money and helped keep the other parks open to the public. He loved this..... He was not an ogre and of course his coming from Hollywood put many people off as the center of sin in America.

Seeing many take apart several elected leaders of this nation, makes me very sad. If any leader needed a test for ethics, truth and leadership, it not President Reagan. I would look to the White House before President Obama was elected.

AKA Sandy Price
old hand
old hand
This supposed "secret" highlights how different the world is today. Journalist help cover up the fact that he was in the early stages of his disease. The Republicans have been in denial for many years, hell just alluding to the fact that he had the disease while in office sends them off the deep end. I've never understood how anyone could not think he was in the early stages given the slow progression of the disease. Rita Hayworth began her decent at only around 40 years old. It sad to see any family have to deal with a relative who has Alzheimer's but it pisses me off that no thought just possibly the leader of the free world should possess all his faculties.

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I�
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.
I
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
I
Originally Posted by Redheat
This supposed "secret" highlights how different the world is today. Journalist help cover up the fact that he was in the early stages of his disease. The Republicans have been in denial for many years, hell just alluding to the fact that he had the disease while in office sends them off the deep end. I've never understood how anyone could not think he was in the early stages given the slow progression of the disease. Rita Hayworth began her decent at only around 40 years old. It sad to see any family have to deal with a relative who has Alzheimer's but it pisses me off that no thought just possibly the leader of the free world should possess all his faculties.

If it is true that he actually was in the early stages of Alzheimers, does that mean he was not capable of carrying out the duties of his office? If so, perhaps it demonstrated that the president is superfluous to the running of the state (not to be conflated with the government). Just musing.
Yours,
Issodhos

"When all has been said that can be said, and all has been done that can be done, there will be poetry";-) -- Issodhos
CHB-OG
CHB-OG
Originally Posted by Redheat
...The Republicans have been in denial for many years, hell just alluding to the fact that he had the disease while in office sends them off the deep end...
Bow

Contrarian, extraordinaire

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Link Copied to Clipboard