WE NEED YOUR HELP! Please donate to keep ReaderRant online to serve political discussion and its members. (Blue Ridge Photography pays the bills for RR).
Current Topics
Biden to Cancel $10,000 in Student Loan Debt
by pdx rick - 05/19/24 10:52 PM
A question
by perotista - 05/19/24 08:06 PM
2024 Election Forum
by jgw - 05/17/24 07:45 PM
No rubbers for Trump
by Kaine - 05/16/24 02:21 PM
Marching in favor of Palestinians
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:38 PM
Yeah, Trump admits he is a pure racist
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:28 PM
Trump's base having second thoughts
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:25 PM
Watching the Supreme Court
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:07 PM
Trump: "Anti-American authoritarian wannabe
by Doug Thompson - 05/05/24 03:27 PM
Fixing/Engineer the Weather
by jgw - 05/03/24 10:52 PM
Earth Day tomorrow
by logtroll - 05/03/24 01:09 AM
Round Table for Spring 2024
by rporter314 - 04/22/24 03:13 AM
To hell with Trump and his cult
by pdx rick - 04/20/24 08:05 PM
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 8 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Agnostic Politico, Jems, robertjohn, BlackCat13th, ruggedman
6,305 Registered Users
Popular Topics(Views)
10,080,879 my own book page
5,017,073 We shall overcome
4,194,406 Campaign 2016
3,794,538 Trump's Trumpet
3,017,678 3 word story game
Top Posters
pdx rick 47,286
Scoutgal 27,583
Phil Hoskins 21,134
Greger 19,831
Towanda 19,391
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
jgw 6
Kaine 1
Forum Statistics
Forums59
Topics17,089
Posts313,787
Members6,305
Most Online294
Dec 6th, 2017
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Ardy Offline OP
Pooh-Bah
OP Offline
Pooh-Bah

First there was evolution, then climate change, now this....

Those scientists just cannot learn when it is politically incorrect to state the obvious.

Low IQ & Conservative Beliefs Linked to Prejudice
There's no gentle way to put it: People who give in to racism and prejudice may simply be dumb, according to a new study that is bound to stir public controversy.

The research finds that children with low intelligence are more likely to hold prejudiced attitudes as adults. These findings point to a vicious cycle, according to lead researcher Gordon Hodson, a psychologist at Brock University in Ontario. Low-intelligence adults tend to gravitate toward socially conservative ideologies,
link

"It's not a lie if you believe it." -- George Costanza
The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves. --Bertrand Russel
Next, Michael Savage will right a book titled. "Low IQ Is A Liberal Mental Disorder."

It shouldn't be surprised to discover that low IQ's and intolerance go together and prejudice are linked. These are simplistic views of the world. When that is all that can be seen.

“If you think you've got an inside track to absolute truth, you become doctrinaire, humorless and intellectually constipated." Saul Alinskey
veteran
veteran
'
IQ is an uncertain measure of intelligence, and a miserably poor measure of wisdom.

It is mainly ignorance that makes people unfit to rule.

Ardy Offline OP
Pooh-Bah
OP Offline
Pooh-Bah
Originally Posted by numan
'
IQ is an uncertain measure of intelligence, and a miserably poor measure of wisdom.
yes it is an unfathomable puzzle as to why scientists do not use a standardized wisdom quotient test instead of the IQ test
It is mainly ignorance that makes people unfit to rule.

Ignorance--- lack of knowledge?
I would observe that some of the biggest fiasco have been initiated by people loosely described as the best and brightest.

"It's not a lie if you believe it." -- George Costanza
The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves. --Bertrand Russel
old hand
old hand
yes it is an unfathomable puzzle as to why scientists do not use a standardized wisdom quotient test instead of the IQ test
ROTFMOL

Life is Good!
veteran
veteran
'
How could those who lack wisdom devise a test that would measure wisdom? · · wink

Originally Posted by Ardy
I would observe that some of the biggest fiasco have been initiated by people loosely described as the best and brightest.
That can be said only because modern society, in its wisdom, sedulously guards against people of low intelligence gaining access to the levers of power. Imagine the far, far greater fiascos that would have befallen the world !!

Imagine, for instance, what would have happened if someone like George W. Bush had gained access to great power....

...OK...scratch that hypothesis....

old hand
old hand
At least we don't have a monarchy....

Here's a quote I like:

It is man's intelligence that makes him so often behave more stupidly than the beasts. ... Man is impelled to invent theories to account for what happens in the world. Unfortunately, he is not quite intelligent enough, in most cases, to find correct explanations. So that when he acts on his theories, he behaves very often like a lunatic. Thus, no animal is clever enough, when there is a drought, to imagine that the rain is being withheld by evil spirits, or as punishment for its transgressions. Therefore you never see animals going through the absurd and often horrible fooleries of magic and religion. No horse, for example would kill one of its foals to make the wind change direction. Dogs do not ritually urinate in the hope of persuading heaven to do the same and send down rain. Asses do not bray a liturgy to cloudless skies. Nor do cats attempt, by abstinence from cat's meat, to wheedle the feline spirits into benevolence. Only man behaves with such gratuitous folly. It is the price he has to pay for being intelligent but not, as yet, intelligent enough.
from "Texts and Pretexts"(1932), p. 270

veteran
veteran
"
Ah, Aldous Huxley, the favorite of my teenage years! -- whose style and intelligence I imitate as much as my diseased American mind permits!!

How much better the world would be if he were as well known to others as he is to me!!

I particularly recommend the novels, Point Counterpoint, Brave New World, After Many a Summer, the film script, Ape and Essence, and practically all his essays.

Wisdom is subjective, what was wise to the Aztec Priest who spent his working hours ripping out the hearts of sacrifices would be the antithesis of wisdom today.

Our founding fathers are considered wise, yet they wrote Slavery into the Constitution that was supposed to celebrate freedom and eventually led to a devastating war and still affects us.

In his Wisdom, Henry Ford sat down and wrote the International Jew. That is no longer considered a wise act.

I often hear people talk about Common wisdom, but I have found wisdom so uncommon an attribute as to be extinct in most states.

Wisdom is subjective, and defined by the culture and the individual in the culture. So a test for wisdom would be of little use.

Last edited by Ozymanithrax; 01/30/12 08:15 PM.

“If you think you've got an inside track to absolute truth, you become doctrinaire, humorless and intellectually constipated." Saul Alinskey
veteran
veteran
'
I would say that none of your examples is indicative of wisdom.

In my view, wisdom is objective, and does not change -- though its application varies according to circumstances.

Last edited by numan; 01/30/12 08:20 PM.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard