WE NEED YOUR HELP! Please donate to keep ReaderRant online to serve political discussion and its members. (Blue Ridge Photography pays the bills for RR).
Current Topics
Biden to Cancel $10,000 in Student Loan Debt
by pdx rick - 05/19/24 10:52 PM
A question
by perotista - 05/19/24 08:06 PM
2024 Election Forum
by jgw - 05/17/24 07:45 PM
No rubbers for Trump
by Kaine - 05/16/24 02:21 PM
Marching in favor of Palestinians
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:38 PM
Yeah, Trump admits he is a pure racist
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:28 PM
Trump's base having second thoughts
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:25 PM
Watching the Supreme Court
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:07 PM
Trump: "Anti-American authoritarian wannabe
by Doug Thompson - 05/05/24 03:27 PM
Fixing/Engineer the Weather
by jgw - 05/03/24 10:52 PM
Earth Day tomorrow
by logtroll - 05/03/24 01:09 AM
Round Table for Spring 2024
by rporter314 - 04/22/24 03:13 AM
To hell with Trump and his cult
by pdx rick - 04/20/24 08:05 PM
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 8 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Agnostic Politico, Jems, robertjohn, BlackCat13th, ruggedman
6,305 Registered Users
Popular Topics(Views)
10,080,879 my own book page
5,017,073 We shall overcome
4,194,406 Campaign 2016
3,794,538 Trump's Trumpet
3,017,678 3 word story game
Top Posters
pdx rick 47,286
Scoutgal 27,583
Phil Hoskins 21,134
Greger 19,831
Towanda 19,391
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
jgw 6
Kaine 1
Forum Statistics
Forums59
Topics17,089
Posts313,787
Members6,305
Most Online294
Dec 6th, 2017
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 8 of 11 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 11
veteran
veteran
As to having the presence of mind to select a soft target, yes, I think that happens to be the case most of the time
I suspect you have not been around too many folks who are unstable ... these folks no longer think rationally due to a breakdown in their mental acuity (not because they are ignorant and can't think logically) and yet you impute a state of mind which is contrary to their mental condition

it seems that the courts often find the killers competent to stand trial
a legally insane individual must have been diagnosed with a mental defect (typically by a court-appointed mental health professional) and either did not know right from wrong or lacked the ability to control an impulse that led to the incident MPC
ok so you don't know the difference between and unstable person and a criminally insane person ... a common misconception

Police stations ... Gun ranges are usually full of people
well had you paid any attention to my "proposal" it was designed specifically to find an answer to your claim that mass killers only target "soft" environments ... no study has been done to my knowledge and the evidence is scant so deriving a conclusion without a factual basis is merely speculation. Thus I speculated a rebuttal and made a prediction which I suspect is more plausible.

conduct your research in Syria
strange ... I thought we were discussing gun violence in America

ignorance is the enemy
without equality there is no liberty
Save America - Lock Trump Up!!!!

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by logtroll
I see that you rose to the florid challenge, when a shrinking violet would leave this sorry distraction and not try to root out the systemic issues that bloom within such a flowery bouquet of fertile punnery. From hence forth, mum's the word.

Remember, if you take care of the peonies the dahlias take care of themselves.

Take the nacilbupeR pledge: I solemnly swear that I will help back out all Republicans at the next election.
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Just a little fact-based posting: Are guns allowed in movie theaters?; Aurora Ordinance
Just sayin'

A well reasoned argument is like a diamond: impervious to corruption and crystal clear - and infinitely rarer.

Here, as elsewhere, people are outraged at what feels like a rigged game -- an economy that won't respond, a democracy that won't listen, and a financial sector that holds all the cards. - Robert Reich
Pooh-Bah
OP Offline
Pooh-Bah
Originally Posted by NW Ponderer
Just a little fact-based posting: Are guns allowed in movie theaters?; Aurora Ordinance
Just sayin'

Well, see, there you go. Guns were not permitted in the theater and there's a local ordinance to verify that. Good work, NW.

You, you and you, panic. The rest of you follow me.
veteran
veteran
see, there you go
whoa ... not so quick

not wanting to step on NW's response but simply pointing out the obvious

the ordinance states if private property is posted or a verbal warning precedes entry is bearing arms prohibited ... so in this case unless the theater had a sign or each customer was appropriately warned, it is apparently legal to possess a weapon in the theater, even though it was business policy to ban weapons. The other citation offers descriptions of both instances wherein customers were ushered out or ushered in depending on management. Thus in the Aurora case, the shooter gaining entry would not himself know if anyone else in theater had also gained entry with a weapon i.e. he would potentially be facing sheisstorm but obviously did not care.

Thus we are faced with the question, does business policy trump city ordinance? Turn it around and ask yourself, if the city bans weapons in any place of business and any of those businesses permits it, who wins?

Thus it is not as clear cut as you believe.

ignorance is the enemy

Pooh-Bah
OP Offline
Pooh-Bah
Originally Posted by rporter314
see, there you go
whoa ... not so quick

not wanting to step on NW's response but simply pointing out the obvious

the ordinance states if private property is posted or a verbal warning precedes entry is bearing arms prohibited ... so in this case unless the theater had a sign or each customer was appropriately warned, it is apparently legal to possess a weapon in the theater, even though it was business policy to ban weapons. The other citation offers descriptions of both instances wherein customers were ushered out or ushered in depending on management. Thus in the Aurora case, the shooter gaining entry would not himself know if anyone else in theater had also gained entry with a weapon i.e. he would potentially be facing sheisstorm but obviously did not care.

Thus we are faced with the question, does business policy trump city ordinance? Turn it around and ask yourself, if the city bans weapons in any place of business and any of those businesses permits it, who wins?

Thus it is not as clear cut as you believe.

Sign at ticket window at Aurora theater:

[Linked Image from 4.bp.blogspot.com]

“Nothing in this part 2 [establishing the scope and limits of a Colorado concealed carry permit] shall be construed to limit, restrict, or prohibit in any manner the existing rights of a private property owner, private tenant, private employer, or private business entity.” Colo. Rev. Stat. Ann. § 18-12-214(5).

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
You didn't read carefully enough, friend Slipped. Carriage was not prohibited, because the theater was not posted. While there was plenty of speculation on the subject, none validated their assumptions. You just did the same.

Last edited by NW Ponderer; 05/01/13 10:53 PM.

A well reasoned argument is like a diamond: impervious to corruption and crystal clear - and infinitely rarer.

Here, as elsewhere, people are outraged at what feels like a rigged game -- an economy that won't respond, a democracy that won't listen, and a financial sector that holds all the cards. - Robert Reich
Pooh-Bah
OP Offline
Pooh-Bah
Originally Posted by NW Ponderer
You didn't read carefully enough, friend Slipped. Carriage was not prohibited, because the theater was not posted. While there was plenty of speculation on the subject, none validated their assumptions. You just did the same.

The posted sign in the theater prohibiting guns is actually not a sign in the window prohibiting guns? Brilliant! rolleyes

I'm getting the feeling that English may not be your first language.

veteran
veteran
First I will have to admit I am not interested in the Aurora case per se but the overall substance, consequently I have not kept up with details of the case.

Sign at ticket window at Aurora theater
Now I will use Texas law which I suspect can probably be generalized to other states.

"Written communication" means either:
(1) a card or "other document" that has written language "identical" to the following:

"Pursuant to Section 30.06, Penal Code (trespass by holder of license to carry a concealed handgun), a person licensed under Subchapter H, Chapter 411, Government Code (concealed handgun law), may not enter this property with a concealed handgun;" or

(2) A sign posted on the property that:
(a) "includes" the above language in both English and Spanish;
(b) appears in contrasting colors with block letters at least one inch in height; and
(c) is displayed in a conspicuous manner clearly visible to the public.

Thus, according to the statute, a proper §30.06 sign must have language identical to that quoted above, and the sign must be in both English and Spanish. The letters on the sign must be block letters and they must be at least one inch in height. They must also be of "contrasting colors." Lastly, the sign must be displayed in a conspicuous manner clearly visible to the public.

the sign you have displayed clearly does not comply.

the citation clarifies the question of property rights

Thus we are still left in the murky situation that even though the intention of the theater is to prohibit guns on premises they used a non-compliant sign which I will guess be a non-issue if taken to court. The alternative of course is for management or the representative of management to confront and advise a CHL their presence with a gun is not welcome, at which point they must leave or etc.

Thus the perpetrator still would not know if anyone was carrying.

Now I know you must realize that if you sent a Trilobyte [sic ;>)] of anecdotes it still would not prove anything. Now my proposed study should be exactly what you would want as it would definitively prove your claim (or heavens forbid disprove it) and just think, all of the deaths would still mean nothing ... it could be win-win for you

Last edited by rporter314; 05/01/13 11:45 PM.

ignorance is the enemy

old hand
old hand
See what happens when you disarm the good people? The carnage is not the fault of the shooter, it's the fault of the city because they would not let the vigilantes, I mean general public, have a gun in the theater. If they had there would have been a lot fewer people killed.

NRA Logic Handbook.

Take the nacilbupeR pledge: I solemnly swear that I will help back out all Republicans at the next election.
Page 8 of 11 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 11

Link Copied to Clipboard