WE NEED YOUR HELP! Please donate to keep ReaderRant online to serve political discussion and its members. (Blue Ridge Photography pays the bills for RR).
Current Topics
Biden to Cancel $10,000 in Student Loan Debt
by pdx rick - 05/19/24 10:52 PM
A question
by perotista - 05/19/24 08:06 PM
2024 Election Forum
by jgw - 05/17/24 07:45 PM
No rubbers for Trump
by Kaine - 05/16/24 02:21 PM
Marching in favor of Palestinians
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:38 PM
Yeah, Trump admits he is a pure racist
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:28 PM
Trump's base having second thoughts
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:25 PM
Watching the Supreme Court
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:07 PM
Trump: "Anti-American authoritarian wannabe
by Doug Thompson - 05/05/24 03:27 PM
Fixing/Engineer the Weather
by jgw - 05/03/24 10:52 PM
Earth Day tomorrow
by logtroll - 05/03/24 01:09 AM
Round Table for Spring 2024
by rporter314 - 04/22/24 03:13 AM
To hell with Trump and his cult
by pdx rick - 04/20/24 08:05 PM
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 3 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Agnostic Politico, Jems, robertjohn, BlackCat13th, ruggedman
6,305 Registered Users
Popular Topics(Views)
10,078,574 my own book page
5,016,696 We shall overcome
4,192,797 Campaign 2016
3,792,248 Trump's Trumpet
3,015,949 3 word story game
Top Posters
pdx rick 47,286
Scoutgal 27,583
Phil Hoskins 21,134
Greger 19,831
Towanda 19,391
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
jgw 6
Kaine 1
Forum Statistics
Forums59
Topics17,089
Posts313,787
Members6,305
Most Online294
Dec 6th, 2017
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 10 of 11 1 2 8 9 10 11
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Getting back to the actual subject of the thread, do y'all think that the knife-wielder in the original story picked Smith's because it was a "soft target"? Or, maybe he stabbed other people, simply because he was mentally disturbed, and really didn't think about where he was (or was even aware of it)?

We have spent a great deal of mental effort and emotional frustration dealing with a miniscule, unrepresentative, exceptional example to supports a paranoid fantasy as a justification for an unreasonable and socially counter-productive position.

A well reasoned argument is like a diamond: impervious to corruption and crystal clear - and infinitely rarer.

Here, as elsewhere, people are outraged at what feels like a rigged game -- an economy that won't respond, a democracy that won't listen, and a financial sector that holds all the cards. - Robert Reich
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Originally Posted by rporter314
A background check does not prevent a law-abiding citizen from buying, keeping, or bearing a firearm but it may prevent one person from committing some heinous, unnecessary crime.
Indeed, from the study I cited earlier, over 6 million apparently law abiding citizens got permission to transfer firearms in 2010 alone, and only 72,000 were denied - a rate of 1.2% Seems like a pretty small "infringement." Of course, that was only for the 60% of transactions that required background checks. Who knows how many criminals were included in the other 40%? (Logic, of course, dictates that it will be a much higher percentage.)

A well reasoned argument is like a diamond: impervious to corruption and crystal clear - and infinitely rarer.

Here, as elsewhere, people are outraged at what feels like a rigged game -- an economy that won't respond, a democracy that won't listen, and a financial sector that holds all the cards. - Robert Reich
Pooh-Bah
OP Offline
Pooh-Bah
Originally Posted by NW Ponderer
Getting back to the actual subject of the thread, do y'all think that the knife-wielder in the original story picked Smith's because it was a "soft target"? Or, maybe he stabbed other people, simply because he was mentally disturbed, and really didn't think about where he was (or was even aware of it)?

I think the guy just went ape shìt. There seems to be an increase in reported stabbings recently. Also, just today the New York Times reported Suicide Rates Are Rising Sharply. It is a most stressful time. People for a number of reasons are not able to cope as they once did. Probably the social support isn't there to the level it is needed.

The soft target was nothing more than coincidence unless he had some direct connection to the store or the people working in the store. Could even be ethnically triggered, crazy still, no matter.

You, you and you, panic. The rest of you follow me.
I
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
I
Iss, I think you are missing the center of rp's point, either deliberately or inadvertently: He suggests that outlawing activity will reduce criminal activity, not eliminate it. There are thousands of studies that demonstrate that criminalizing activity reduces its prevalence in the area where such laws are enforced, including gun control measures.

NWP, I think you are avoiding what he wrote. (emphasis mine)
this is important as it forces criminals to acquire their weaponry from illegal sources ... do you see where I am going with this? no? ... ok ... it becomes a case of attrition .... as illegal sources are gradually put out of business, criminals would no longer be able to acquire weapons ...

I think, rather, the burden is on the one claiming a point:
I would agree ... coffee
Yours,
Issodhos

Last edited by issodhos; 05/03/13 02:20 AM. Reason: formatting

"When all has been said that can be said, and all has been done that can be done, there will be poetry";-) -- Issodhos
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
But only if it were convenient.

I think it is quite obvious to anyone who read it, that rp point is about accessibility to weaponry, not criminality. Not having guns is not going to make those with a criminal bent suddenly law-abiding. But if one takes away the means, it will make them less effective/lethal. The harder you make it for one to obtain something, the less that something is to acquire.

40% of the gun market is "unregulated." That is, conducted without background checks. It doesn't take a leap of logic to realize that those inclined to cloak their activities in secrecy will gravitate in that direction. Eliminate that market, and it becomes more difficult to hide. Require universal registration, it becomes more difficult. Limit number of purchases, more difficult still. The more roadblocks, the harder it becomes. The harder, the more expensive. Slowly, the beast is starved.

Even if you triple the rate of application denials, the vast majority - 95% - of transactions would still go through, hardly affecting law-abiding applicants. For the criminal class, however, obtaining those weapons would become significantly more difficult. And for he rest of us, the streets concomitantly safer.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Originally Posted by Slipped Mickey
The soft target was nothing more than coincidence unless he had some direct connection to the store or the people working in the store. Could even be ethnically triggered, crazy still, no matter.
My point, precisely. The whole "soft target" meme is a red herring, interjected to score an ideological point, but completely devoid of import, and completely without substantive merit.

Pooh-Bah
OP Offline
Pooh-Bah
Originally Posted by Slipped Mickey
My point, precisely. The whole "soft target" meme is a red herring, interjected to score an ideological point, but completely devoid of import, and completely without substantive merit.

No. Once again you shamelssly take my words out of context. You do it with such increasing frequency, one might suspect you incapable of establishing firm reasoning to support your sweeping gun control argument.

The circumstances at Aurora, Va Tech, Tucson, Newton, the Sikh Temple, for example, were mass murders, planned and prepared, with targets selected for maximum effect. In your facile attempt to paint mass murders as spontaneous and random acts of violence you would you submit the OP as proof and foolishly suggest that I agree. LOL! No. No, I don't agree.

You, you and you, panic. The rest of you follow me.
enthusiast
enthusiast
What's all this unconstitutional nonsense about denying arms to "mentally insane" or "criminals"? No where in the 2nd are there any such restrictions on the Almighty given Right to carry arms for protection from a usurping government. Allowing such restrictions just shows how far the Liberal Statists have won. With such restrictions, the government merely needs to railroad one to a conviction or deem one insane and "poof" one's Rights have vanished.

How eager they are to be slaves - Tiberius Caesar

Coulda tripped out easy, but I've changed my ways - Donovan
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Originally Posted by Irked
What's all this unconstitutional nonsense about denying arms to "mentally insane" or "criminals"? .

Excellent point. Just because you are deranged does not mean that you have no need to defend yourself

And felons who have served their time likely have more need than most to defend themselves.

"It's not a lie if you believe it." -- George Costanza
The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves. --Bertrand Russel
enthusiast
enthusiast
Indeed the Founders were wise. Had they wished to deny Rights to any class of people, they would've explicitly done so. All these restrictions - from those on guns to those on speech and religion - are manifestations of the endless battle the Statists are waging against us - the Real Americans.

How eager they are to be slaves - Tiberius Caesar

Coulda tripped out easy, but I've changed my ways - Donovan
Page 10 of 11 1 2 8 9 10 11

Link Copied to Clipboard