WE NEED YOUR HELP! Please donate to keep ReaderRant online to serve political discussion and its members. (Blue Ridge Photography pays the bills for RR).
Current Topics
Biden to Cancel $10,000 in Student Loan Debt
by pdx rick - 05/19/24 10:52 PM
A question
by perotista - 05/19/24 08:06 PM
2024 Election Forum
by jgw - 05/17/24 07:45 PM
No rubbers for Trump
by Kaine - 05/16/24 02:21 PM
Marching in favor of Palestinians
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:38 PM
Yeah, Trump admits he is a pure racist
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:28 PM
Trump's base having second thoughts
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:25 PM
Watching the Supreme Court
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:07 PM
Trump: "Anti-American authoritarian wannabe
by Doug Thompson - 05/05/24 03:27 PM
Fixing/Engineer the Weather
by jgw - 05/03/24 10:52 PM
Earth Day tomorrow
by logtroll - 05/03/24 01:09 AM
Round Table for Spring 2024
by rporter314 - 04/22/24 03:13 AM
To hell with Trump and his cult
by pdx rick - 04/20/24 08:05 PM
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 3 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Agnostic Politico, Jems, robertjohn, BlackCat13th, ruggedman
6,305 Registered Users
Popular Topics(Views)
10,078,574 my own book page
5,016,696 We shall overcome
4,192,797 Campaign 2016
3,792,248 Trump's Trumpet
3,015,949 3 word story game
Top Posters
pdx rick 47,286
Scoutgal 27,583
Phil Hoskins 21,134
Greger 19,831
Towanda 19,391
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
jgw 6
Kaine 1
Forum Statistics
Forums59
Topics17,089
Posts313,787
Members6,305
Most Online294
Dec 6th, 2017
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
CHB-OG
OP Offline
CHB-OG
Originally Posted by logtroll
Here, kitty, kitty, kitty...
The current situation in Iraq is the direct result of George Bush, his administration, the neo-conservative propaganda machine devoted to carrying out a Wilsonian policy of making "the world safe for democracy" using the blood of American GIs and the wealth of an indentured citizenry conned into allowing them to attack, occupy, and engage in nation-building in an Iraq that was no threat to America. It was this same administration that set the date and signed the agreement with the Iraqi government for US withdrawal. Barack Obama may be as useless and as nasty a political cog as his predecessors, but he is not the guilty party relative to Iraq and its current inevitable descent (re-descent) into chaos. All else is rationalization and excuse making.
Bow Great post. The Wingers™ have taken to re-write history again (surprise!) and the current situation in Fallujah is because of that Marxist Kenyan.

Contrarian, extraordinaire

L
veteran
veteran
L
It were a post on the gretawire by one of our fellow travelers... how do you say meow in Greek - miou?

You never change things by fighting the existing reality.
To change something, build a new model that makes the old model obsolete.
R. Buckminster Fuller
CHB-OG
OP Offline
CHB-OG

It were a post on the gretawire by one of our fellow travelers... how do you say meow in Greek - miou?
idea Ahhh...great mind that one. smile

Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Here, kitty, kitty, kitty...
The current situation in Iraq is the direct result of George Bush, his administration, the neo-conservative propaganda machine devoted to carrying out a Wilsonian policy of making "the world safe for democracy" using the blood of American GIs and the wealth of an indentured citizenry conned into allowing them to attack, occupy, and engage in nation-building .

It seems the author is confused about some of the history

The ideologues of the bush adm were as opposed to nation building as he appears to be. They initially scuttled state dept plans along that line. And instead operated on the conservative principle of emergent order. The idea was that once the bonds of statist oppression were removed, a natural democratic order would emerge.

If is a very similar idea to that proposed by the tea party and proponents of Austrian economics. The guiding hand of free men and free markets blossom forth If you just eliminate most structures of statism

It was only after this approach failed that nation building was attempted

"It's not a lie if you believe it." -- George Costanza
The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves. --Bertrand Russel
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
It is amazing to me the level of insanity prevalent on the internet.

A well reasoned argument is like a diamond: impervious to corruption and crystal clear - and infinitely rarer.

Here, as elsewhere, people are outraged at what feels like a rigged game -- an economy that won't respond, a democracy that won't listen, and a financial sector that holds all the cards. - Robert Reich
veteran
veteran
i suspect this is a well used response and therefore suggest you attach the numberal 1 to it and call it response #1 ... in the future you will save some time and simply respond

ignorance is the enemy
without equality there is no liberty
Save America - Lock Trump Up!!!!

CHB-OG
OP Offline
CHB-OG
Originally Posted by NW Ponderer
Hey! I would never have known about said alleged beheadings if the Wingnuts™ had not made such a big issue of it this past Friday. They were quite worked-up over it - all frothy and foamy spittin' mad. LOL

...but the fact remains, this is the reality of politics in 2014. Hmm

Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Originally Posted by NW Ponderer

I suspect that the insanity preceded the internet. The internet does effectively spead the insaniy, but it also makes a matter of public record.

The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves. --Bertrand Russel
I
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
I
Originally Posted by Ardy
It seems the author is confused about some of the history

The ideologues of the bush adm were as opposed to nation building as he appears to be.

Casual attention to detail can oft lead one astray, Ardy. Note that I wrote:
"The current situation in Iraq is the direct result of George Bush, his administration, the neo-conservative propaganda machine devoted to carrying out a Wilsonian policy of making "the world safe for democracy" using the blood of American GIs and the wealth of an indentured citizenry conned into allowing them to attack, occupy, and engage in nation-building in an Iraq that was no threat to America."

Note to whom Wilsonian policy was attached to and note who it was that I wrote had been conned into allowing "nation-building" -- hint, the American citizenry.

Now, if you wish to deny that we began engaging in attempted "nation-building" in Iraq, go ahead. Nothing I could say would change the mind of anyone thinking we did not. coffee

Last edited by issodhos; 01/06/14 04:09 AM.

"When all has been said that can be said, and all has been done that can be done, there will be poetry";-) -- Issodhos
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Originally Posted by issodhos
, Ardy. Note that I wrote:
"The current situation in Iraq is the direct result of George Bush, his administration, [b][i]the neo-conservative propaganda machine devoted to carrying out a Wilsonian policy of making "the world safe for democracy" using the blood of American GIs and the wealth of an indentured citizenry conned into allowing them to attack, occupy, and engage in nation-building in an Iraq that was no threat to America."

The discussion seems a bit off topic, but then there was not much to the topic to begin with

That said, the so called "neo-conservative propaganda machine" did not sell the invasion of Iraq as an exercise in nation building, nor as a means to make the world safe for democracy. The war was clearly promoted on exactly the grounds that you deny-- that Iraq presented a threat to our nation because of WMD and the regime's supposed involvement involvement with terrorism.

You may feel that the above presentation by the Bush administration was a conscious lie so that they could pursue their "Wilsonian Policy." However that is nothing other than your speculation.

Innumerable commentators have made comparisons between President Woodrow Wilson’s internationalism and his alleged missionary zeal with the ideas of the neoconservatives now so influential in the Bush Administration. But any analogies are essentially inaccurate and they all ignore the crucial historical context.
link counterpunch

I question many decisions of the Bush administration, but have never read anything that come close to confirming that Bush decided to invade Iraq to make the world safe for democracy. And, in fact, the ideas that he presented in his campaign were quite the opposite of this view.

Foreign Affairs: Bush promised a humble foreign policy with no nation building. He had criticized the Clinton-Gore Administration for being too interventionist: "If we don't stop extending our troops all around the world in nation-building missions, then we're going to have a serious problem coming down the road. And I'm going to prevent that."[1]
wiki link

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard