WE NEED YOUR HELP! Please donate to keep ReaderRant online to serve political discussion and its members. (Blue Ridge Photography pays the bills for RR).
Current Topics
Biden to Cancel $10,000 in Student Loan Debt
by pdx rick - 05/19/24 10:52 PM
A question
by perotista - 05/19/24 08:06 PM
2024 Election Forum
by jgw - 05/17/24 07:45 PM
No rubbers for Trump
by Kaine - 05/16/24 02:21 PM
Marching in favor of Palestinians
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:38 PM
Yeah, Trump admits he is a pure racist
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:28 PM
Trump's base having second thoughts
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:25 PM
Watching the Supreme Court
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:07 PM
Trump: "Anti-American authoritarian wannabe
by Doug Thompson - 05/05/24 03:27 PM
Fixing/Engineer the Weather
by jgw - 05/03/24 10:52 PM
Earth Day tomorrow
by logtroll - 05/03/24 01:09 AM
Round Table for Spring 2024
by rporter314 - 04/22/24 03:13 AM
To hell with Trump and his cult
by pdx rick - 04/20/24 08:05 PM
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 3 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Agnostic Politico, Jems, robertjohn, BlackCat13th, ruggedman
6,305 Registered Users
Popular Topics(Views)
10,078,574 my own book page
5,016,696 We shall overcome
4,192,797 Campaign 2016
3,792,248 Trump's Trumpet
3,015,949 3 word story game
Top Posters
pdx rick 47,286
Scoutgal 27,583
Phil Hoskins 21,134
Greger 19,831
Towanda 19,391
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
jgw 6
Kaine 1
Forum Statistics
Forums59
Topics17,089
Posts313,787
Members6,305
Most Online294
Dec 6th, 2017
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
An interesting read

I Could Have Stopped Waterboarding Before It Happened
An exclusive account from the CIA’s former top lawyer.
By JOHN RIZZO January 05, 2014

ignorance is the enemy
without equality there is no liberty
Save America - Lock Trump Up!!!!

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I wish he had.

A well reasoned argument is like a diamond: impervious to corruption and crystal clear - and infinitely rarer.

Here, as elsewhere, people are outraged at what feels like a rigged game -- an economy that won't respond, a democracy that won't listen, and a financial sector that holds all the cards. - Robert Reich
I
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
I
Originally Posted by NW Ponderer
I wish he had.
Why? coffee

"When all has been said that can be said, and all has been done that can be done, there will be poetry";-) -- Issodhos
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Because, my friend, waterboarding is torture, and a war crime, and it reduced the moral authority of the United States to slightly above that of the miscreants who engage in public beheadings. Allowing it caused hundreds of actual deaths, extended the war, made the actual process of keeping the peace significantly harder, and set a poor moral standard for the rest of the world. I know, minor considerations.

A well reasoned argument is like a diamond: impervious to corruption and crystal clear - and infinitely rarer.

Here, as elsewhere, people are outraged at what feels like a rigged game -- an economy that won't respond, a democracy that won't listen, and a financial sector that holds all the cards. - Robert Reich
old hand
old hand
there you go again, actually reading those inane posts!

"The white men were as thick and numerous and aimless as grasshoppers, moving always in a hurry but never seeming to get to whatever place it was they were going to." Dee Brown
old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by rporter314
An interesting read

I Could Have Stopped Waterboarding Before It Happened
An exclusive account from the CIA’s former top lawyer.
By JOHN RIZZO January 05, 2014

Let me see if I have this right:
"my job was to provide legal advice to one of the most secretive (for good reasons) parts of the government and the men and women who led or consulted with it. But now that I'm out, I'm going to make money by violating attorney client privilege, and oh, BTW, give out props to the guy who led us into an unfounded war in Iraq cuz you never know when I might need someone powerful on my side."

"The white men were as thick and numerous and aimless as grasshoppers, moving always in a hurry but never seeming to get to whatever place it was they were going to." Dee Brown
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
you are right, suckered.

L
veteran
veteran
L
I found this to be a prime indicator of Rizzo's warped powers of logicking:
In his memoir, however, Bush does the exact opposite: He squarely puts himself up to his neck in the creation and implementation of the most contentious counterterrorist program in the post-9/11 era when, in fact, he wasn’t.
Now, that’s a stand-up guy.
So GW Bush was left out of the decision-making, then after the fact lies about being in the thick of it - for what reason? To "protect" the folks who screwed up? Or was it more important to GW Bush to be viewed through the historical lens as having been in charge...

Either way, it's not an action that I would consider to be "stand-up". "Cover-up" seems a more appropriate term.

You never change things by fighting the existing reality.
To change something, build a new model that makes the old model obsolete.
R. Buckminster Fuller
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
I think there was another possibility which does incorporate "cover-up" or "standup".

I believe a case can be made which characterizes Pres Bush as a weak president, surrounded by much stronger folks, who were more adept at politics and the understanding of politics than Pres Bush.

One incident I recall is his recollection of a conversation which included Tenet. Bush demonstrates his ignorance of the subject matter and relies complete;y on Tenet's assessment. I suspect in the arena of foreign affairs this was routine.

The other component of this equation is his belief that he was in fact the "decider-in-chief".

Looking over one's shoulder through the fog of time and delusional beliefs, I find that many folks can not recollect events with any accuracy. This could just as easily be a case of the decider-in-chief believing he was in charge and simply recollecting his distorted memories of an event for which he probably did not have much information.

ignorance is the enemy
without equality there is no liberty
Save America - Lock Trump Up!!!!

I
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
I
Originally Posted by NW Ponderer
Because, my friend, waterboarding is torture, and a war crime, and it reduced the moral authority of the United States to slightly above that of the miscreants who engage in public beheadings. Allowing it caused hundreds of actual deaths, extended the war, made the actual process of keeping the peace significantly harder, and set a poor moral standard for the rest of the world. I know, minor considerations.

Hmm... interesting. Drone strikes that routinely kill innocent people throughout the region, all done with no risk to those killing remotely has somehow not reduced US "moral authority" or caused "hundreds of actual deaths"? "Shock and Awe" macho posturing, bombing, and killing did not do so as well? Atrocities committed by soldiers, pilots, and other US personnel did not reduce US "moral authority"? Abu Ghraib's abuses somehow failed to reduce US "moral authority" or cause "hundreds of actual deaths"? But, instead, you single out the waterboarding torture of a few probable bad guys from a region that is noted for torture and brutality and claim it did reduce "US moral authority" and did cause "hundreds of actual deaths"? I am doubtful that it had such an impact.

By the way, referring to maintaining a "peace" that has been elusive at best, and suggesting that the "war" has ended is, in my opinion, seriously wishful thinking.

"When all has been said that can be said, and all has been done that can be done, there will be poetry";-) -- Issodhos
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard