WE NEED YOUR HELP! Please donate to keep ReaderRant online to serve political discussion and its members. (Blue Ridge Photography pays the bills for RR).
Current Topics
Biden to Cancel $10,000 in Student Loan Debt
by Kaine - 05/19/24 10:33 PM
A question
by perotista - 05/19/24 08:06 PM
2024 Election Forum
by jgw - 05/17/24 07:45 PM
No rubbers for Trump
by Kaine - 05/16/24 02:21 PM
Marching in favor of Palestinians
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:38 PM
Yeah, Trump admits he is a pure racist
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:28 PM
Trump's base having second thoughts
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:25 PM
Watching the Supreme Court
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:07 PM
Trump: "Anti-American authoritarian wannabe
by Doug Thompson - 05/05/24 03:27 PM
Fixing/Engineer the Weather
by jgw - 05/03/24 10:52 PM
Earth Day tomorrow
by logtroll - 05/03/24 01:09 AM
Round Table for Spring 2024
by rporter314 - 04/22/24 03:13 AM
To hell with Trump and his cult
by pdx rick - 04/20/24 08:05 PM
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 2 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Agnostic Politico, Jems, robertjohn, BlackCat13th, ruggedman
6,305 Registered Users
Popular Topics(Views)
10,078,493 my own book page
5,016,532 We shall overcome
4,192,797 Campaign 2016
3,792,248 Trump's Trumpet
3,015,674 3 word story game
Top Posters
pdx rick 47,285
Scoutgal 27,583
Phil Hoskins 21,134
Greger 19,831
Towanda 19,391
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
jgw 6
Kaine 1
Forum Statistics
Forums59
Topics17,089
Posts313,786
Members6,305
Most Online294
Dec 6th, 2017
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
L
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
L
Just a few days ago the was a story and video of a school cop dealing with a 16 year old girl, who was acting up by refusing to quit playing on her phone during class, by tipping her over in her chair and physically throwing her across the room.

The cop was fired, but many support his "corrective" action.

Myself, I cannot imagine how such an escalation of a juvenile action of passive disobedience into physical violence against the child could be condoned as appropriate or "corrective".

Here is another course of action that is being developed around the country:

A justice program instead of a cop

You never change things by fighting the existing reality.
To change something, build a new model that makes the old model obsolete.
R. Buckminster Fuller
old hand
old hand
During every school period I can remember, and during long gone eras recounted by people much older than I, it is impossible to imagine a class without disruptive students (although not wanting to pay attention and looking at your phone does not seem particularly disruptive) and teachers have dealt with it. There was never a need for cops unless there was actually something criminal happening.
This insane reaction to kids being kids is just another manifestation of the desire to control on the part of those who hold some modicum of power. The school shootings, while abhorrent, do not justify putting thugs in charge (the Stones concert at Altamont should have taught everyone that lesson).
Teachers need to be better trained to deal with de-escalation (especially when the students are just being their normal pain-in-the-ass selves) and the school administration should be actively involved in helping the teachers to deal with classroom issues.
Calling in a cop with a history of excessive force drives home the point that we have created a generation (or two) of wusses and dullards.

"The liberals can understand everything but people who don't understand them."
Lenny Bruce

"The cleverest of all, in my opinion, is the man who calls himself a fool at least once a month."
Dostoevsky

veteran
veteran
Good point.we have become lazy and unwilling to apply reason and simple compassion.
One of my boys was threatened with suspension for twisting open a soda can in the cafeteria. He was accused of making a weapon. His friend was suspended for popping a milk carton, creating a loud noise. Both of these kids are top students with no history of behavior problems yet the go to is suspension? They are 12 for God's sake.

sure, you can talk to god, but if you don't listen then what's the use? so, onward through the fog!
Administrator
Bionic Scribe
Administrator
Bionic Scribe
It seems that there is over-reaction on both sides. And we are lazy. Proper discipline when children are very young would be the key in a lot of school problems, and maybe even later as they go into the adult world. But we also must listen to the problems young children have and try and work them out in a peaceful way.

milk and Girl Scout cookies ;-)

Save your breath-You may need it to blow up your date.

Administrator
Bionic Scribe
Administrator
Bionic Scribe
's nice to see you here again, 2wins! ThumbsUp

milk and Girl Scout cookies ;-)

Save your breath-You may need it to blow up your date.

veteran
veteran
Thank you. It took me a while to remember my log in info. LOL

sure, you can talk to god, but if you don't listen then what's the use? so, onward through the fog!
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
There is little question that this was an overreaction. But, the teacher was not to blame. He/she did the right thing, and contacted the administrator. As I understood it, the student was not just using her phone, but was talking on it, disrupting the class. She should have been disciplined.

A well reasoned argument is like a diamond: impervious to corruption and crystal clear - and infinitely rarer.

Here, as elsewhere, people are outraged at what feels like a rigged game -- an economy that won't respond, a democracy that won't listen, and a financial sector that holds all the cards. - Robert Reich
old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by NW Ponderer
There is little question that this was an overreaction. But, the teacher was not to blame. He/she did the right thing, and contacted the administrator. As I understood it, the student was not just using her phone, but was talking on it, disrupting the class. She should have been disciplined.
OMG!!! Talking on the phone! They should have convened the firing squad.
It wasn't just an overreaction. It's a system that does not work. Why couldn't the teacher deescalate the situation without tossing the girl across the room? Why do they need cops for something as banal as that? Why are the overwhelming majority of these cops white, no matter what the ethnic composition of the school? Why have similar abuses been recorded across the country and they always seem to follow the same pattern (racially and socially)?
I'm sorry there is no amount of logic that justifies having a cop deal with a student who doesn't obey the teacher, unless there is something criminal in the student's behavior.

"The liberals can understand everything but people who don't understand them."
Lenny Bruce

"The cleverest of all, in my opinion, is the man who calls himself a fool at least once a month."
Dostoevsky

L
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
L
I agree that some discipline was in order.

I like the idea of using such incidents to teach respect, process, and justice. Not enforcement through physical violence and fear.

You never change things by fighting the existing reality.
To change something, build a new model that makes the old model obsolete.
R. Buckminster Fuller
veteran
veteran
I agree. I was painting with a broad brush.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard