WE NEED YOUR HELP! Please donate to keep ReaderRant online to serve political discussion and its members. (Blue Ridge Photography pays the bills for RR).
Current Topics
Biden to Cancel $10,000 in Student Loan Debt
by pdx rick - 05/19/24 10:52 PM
A question
by perotista - 05/19/24 08:06 PM
2024 Election Forum
by jgw - 05/17/24 07:45 PM
No rubbers for Trump
by Kaine - 05/16/24 02:21 PM
Marching in favor of Palestinians
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:38 PM
Yeah, Trump admits he is a pure racist
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:28 PM
Trump's base having second thoughts
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:25 PM
Watching the Supreme Court
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:07 PM
Trump: "Anti-American authoritarian wannabe
by Doug Thompson - 05/05/24 03:27 PM
Fixing/Engineer the Weather
by jgw - 05/03/24 10:52 PM
Earth Day tomorrow
by logtroll - 05/03/24 01:09 AM
Round Table for Spring 2024
by rporter314 - 04/22/24 03:13 AM
To hell with Trump and his cult
by pdx rick - 04/20/24 08:05 PM
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 3 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Agnostic Politico, Jems, robertjohn, BlackCat13th, ruggedman
6,305 Registered Users
Popular Topics(Views)
10,078,574 my own book page
5,016,696 We shall overcome
4,192,797 Campaign 2016
3,792,248 Trump's Trumpet
3,015,949 3 word story game
Top Posters
pdx rick 47,286
Scoutgal 27,583
Phil Hoskins 21,134
Greger 19,831
Towanda 19,391
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
jgw 6
Kaine 1
Forum Statistics
Forums59
Topics17,089
Posts313,787
Members6,305
Most Online294
Dec 6th, 2017
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Ezekiel Offline OP
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
This is medieval mad

A few months before he took a toxic mix of drugs and died on a stranger’s couch, Nicklaus Ellison wrote a letter to his little sister. He asked for Jolly Ranchers, Starburst and Silly Bandz bracelets, some of the treats permitted at the substance abuse program he attended in Florida.
Then, almost as an aside, Mr. Ellison wrote about how the Christian-run program that was supposed to cure his drug and alcohol problem had instead “de-gayed” him.
“God makes all things new,” Mr. Ellison wrote in bright green ink.
“The weirdest thing is how do I come out as straight after all this time?” To his family and friends, Mr. Ellison’s professed identity change was just one of many clues that something had gone wrong at the program, Teen Challenge, where he had been sent by a judge as an alternative to jail.

NY Times

"The liberals can understand everything but people who don't understand them."
Lenny Bruce

"The cleverest of all, in my opinion, is the man who calls himself a fool at least once a month."
Dostoevsky

veteran
veteran
All of this is dangerous. In the South you are hard pressed to get folks to question these programs. Many times when God is invoked well meaning people turn a blind. I have a deep faith but it is rooted in otherworldly matters rather than a book, doctrine or dogma. I am comfortable questioning where many are not.

sure, you can talk to god, but if you don't listen then what's the use? so, onward through the fog!
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I am imagining the outrage that would have occurred had the clause stated that "arbitration will be conducted under Sharia law."

A well reasoned argument is like a diamond: impervious to corruption and crystal clear - and infinitely rarer.

Here, as elsewhere, people are outraged at what feels like a rigged game -- an economy that won't respond, a democracy that won't listen, and a financial sector that holds all the cards. - Robert Reich
Ezekiel Offline OP
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
Originally Posted by NW Ponderer
I am imagining the outrage that would have occurred had the clause stated that "arbitration will be conducted under Sharia law."
Exactly!
It is astounding how they can take a perfectly good idea (trying to cure young folks of addiction instead of jailing them) and muck it all up with this faux Christianity. I guess as long as there are zealots (of any religion) there will be atrocities like these.

Lenny Bruce

"The cleverest of all, in my opinion, is the man who calls himself a fool at least once a month."
Dostoevsky

It's the Despair Quotient!
Carpal Tunnel
It's the Despair Quotient!
Carpal Tunnel

Amid all of the sound and fury over encroaching Sharia Law, most folks have ignored or been unaware of the fact that rabbinical courts have existed in this country for well over a century.
No outrage, no dire warnings of "Jew courts" taking over the nation's legal system, not even fears of a matzoh ball riot.

I suspect that most rabbinical courts will support "de-gayification" efforts, yes? The real question is, would a Christian based program like Teen Challenge accept a gay Jew in their midst, or would they be too busy checking to see if the kid had horns.

"The Best of the Leon Russell Festivals" DVD
deepfreezefilms.com
Administrator
Bionic Scribe
Administrator
Bionic Scribe
This is outrageous! What ever happened to treating those as you would wish to be treated? That is what Christ taught. The way described in this article sounds more like Satan masquerading as a Christian. These centers should be illegal. They are akin to torture. Their methods are cruel and unusual punishment. Isn't there an amendment against practices of these sorts?

milk and Girl Scout cookies ;-)

Save your breath-You may need it to blow up your date.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
This is my biggest concern with these kinds of things - this was, apparently, being paid for by the State. That being the case, including scriptural anything is contrary to the First Amendment (and as applied to the States by the 14th Amendment). But using the coercive power of the State to force indoctrination is particularly barbaric, and a specific violation of the First/Fourteenth Amendment. I'd hope (but seriously doubt) that the Judge was unaware of the basis of Teen Challenge's "counseling" - if he did, impeachment would be the appropriate result. Again, not that it would ever happen.

A well reasoned argument is like a diamond: impervious to corruption and crystal clear - and infinitely rarer.

Here, as elsewhere, people are outraged at what feels like a rigged game -- an economy that won't respond, a democracy that won't listen, and a financial sector that holds all the cards. - Robert Reich
Ezekiel Offline OP
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
This is my biggest concern with these kinds of things - this was, apparently, being paid for by the State. That being the case, including scriptural anything is contrary to the First Amendment (and as applied to the States by the 14th Amendment). But using the coercive power of the State to force indoctrination is particularly barbaric, and a specific violation of the First/Fourteenth Amendment. I'd hope (but seriously doubt) that the Judge was unaware of the basis of Teen Challenge's "counseling" - if he did, impeachment would be the appropriate result. Again, not that it would ever happen.

Yes, I doubt that the Judge didn't know. But even if he really didn't, some prior investigation might have been in order.
This is truly medieval and barbaric and (I would think) qualifies as cruel (hard to know if prison would have been worse).

Lenny Bruce

Dostoevsky

Administrator
Bionic Scribe
Administrator
Bionic Scribe
I Googled this subject, and conversion therapy(as it is known) is banned in some states for minors. California, New Jersey, Oregon and the District of Columbia are the only four.
Maybe we can get this done nation-wide.

milk and Girl Scout cookies ;-)

Save your breath-You may need it to blow up your date.

Ezekiel Offline OP
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
Absolutely! ThumbsUp

Lenny Bruce

Dostoevsky

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard