WE NEED YOUR HELP! Please donate to keep ReaderRant online to serve political discussion and its members. (Blue Ridge Photography pays the bills for RR).
Current Topics
A question
by jgw - 05/19/24 07:19 PM
Biden to Cancel $10,000 in Student Loan Debt
by Kaine - 05/19/24 03:27 PM
2024 Election Forum
by jgw - 05/17/24 07:45 PM
No rubbers for Trump
by Kaine - 05/16/24 02:21 PM
Marching in favor of Palestinians
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:38 PM
Yeah, Trump admits he is a pure racist
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:28 PM
Trump's base having second thoughts
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:25 PM
Watching the Supreme Court
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:07 PM
Trump: "Anti-American authoritarian wannabe
by Doug Thompson - 05/05/24 03:27 PM
Fixing/Engineer the Weather
by jgw - 05/03/24 10:52 PM
Earth Day tomorrow
by logtroll - 05/03/24 01:09 AM
Round Table for Spring 2024
by rporter314 - 04/22/24 03:13 AM
To hell with Trump and his cult
by pdx rick - 04/20/24 08:05 PM
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 4 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Agnostic Politico, Jems, robertjohn, BlackCat13th, ruggedman
6,305 Registered Users
Popular Topics(Views)
10,078,403 my own book page
5,016,257 We shall overcome
4,192,796 Campaign 2016
3,792,248 Trump's Trumpet
3,015,479 3 word story game
Top Posters
pdx rick 47,284
Scoutgal 27,583
Phil Hoskins 21,134
Greger 19,831
Towanda 19,391
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
jgw 6
Kaine 1
Forum Statistics
Forums59
Topics17,089
Posts313,783
Members6,305
Most Online294
Dec 6th, 2017
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 6 of 23 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 22 23
It's the Despair Quotient!
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Where YOU are is the West Side, Phil.
It is understandable that land is scarce there.
It's second only to San Jose and San Francisco in terms of living expenses.
Homeless working poor will NOT be able to afford to live in your neck of the woods.

But Downey? Norwalk? Whittier?
All kinds of extra land around these parts.

And right now we're desperate because homeless working poor are already living in a Hooverville tent city right next to the San Gabriel River, a full on homeless encampment.

So clearly the tiny house solution would be much more preferable.

Last edited by Jeffery J. Haas; 08/16/16 06:32 AM.

"The Best of the Leon Russell Festivals" DVD
deepfreezefilms.com
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
But where you could put 48 tiny houses, you could house 400 people in a four story building! And you could build a lot higher than that.

Even in the most occupied areas of Southern California you have individual houses on 1/4 acre lots. We could easily afford buying 10 adjacent ticky tacky single story houses at over-market cost, tear them down, and put up a building that houses 1000 people. And that building would require much less heating and air conditioning than 250 individual houses.

We have done just that with public housing projects in the past. We can still do it, and supply modern security with video cameras and microphones in the halls and common areas. That stuff is dirt-cheap now, and you can hire some residents to monitor the cameras.

I'm not saying Tiny Houses aren't cool but they are very impractical unless you use them as a rural cabin. And then you might as well just build a cabin.

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by Jeffery J. Haas
Originally Posted by Phil Hoskins
11,700 would not provide even the cardboard box in Los Angeles.

400 or 500 a month will get you a 1 BR trailer home rental but the problem is, the zoning restrictions make them very scarce.
So calld Tiny Houses are glorified trailer homes and could be very viable if restrictions were eased.
So, at 400 per month that's 4,800 a year. Over 11,700 is 41% of total income (assuming that 11,700 is net, which it certainly would not be). Thus leaving you to eat garbage for the entire year and not a penny left for anything else.

Last edited by Ezekiel; 08/16/16 09:29 AM.

"The liberals can understand everything but people who don't understand them."
Lenny Bruce

"The cleverest of all, in my opinion, is the man who calls himself a fool at least once a month."
Dostoevsky

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by matthew
'
Originally Posted by Ezekiel
If there were some form of UBI one might be able dedicate one's talents to problems that serve humanity, the greater good, if you will, and not corporate greed. The field of pure research - dedicated to solving hard problems that take time and that could benefit everyone - has been destroyed by Capitalism.
Perhaps this helps to explain why there was an avalanche of fundamental breakthroughs in the period from 1890 to 1950, and so very few since then.

It does wink

Lenny Bruce

"The cleverest of all, in my opinion, is the man who calls himself a fool at least once a month."
Dostoevsky

Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Only $132 per week left for food for a single person? Pretty expensive garbage. Pinto beans and rice go for less than $1 per pound around here. Can you eat 132 pounds of rice and beans in a week?

Not that anybody would actually buy nothing but beans and rice, but the point is that you can live with roommates, buy cheap basic food items you cook yourself, not use air conditioning, use public transportation, etc.

old hand
old hand
It's too little. Period.
And you do need some minimum of clothing, electricity and gas. So your 132 ( which isn't 132 because the 11,700 is gross not net) is whittled down to nothing. Suppose the person doesn't like beans? Or rice? Or can't eat them for some medical reason?
C'mon PIA, unemployment in NYC can reach 23,000 a year .

Lenny Bruce

Dostoevsky

Administrator
Bionic Scribe
Administrator
Bionic Scribe
LA bus pass 122 per month which is cheapest way around town

Life is a banquet -- and most poor suckers are starving to death -- Auntie Mame
You are born naked and everything else is drag - RuPaul
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Originally Posted by pondering_it_all
But where you could put 48 tiny houses, you could house 400 people in a four story building! And you could build a lot higher than that.

Even in the most occupied areas of Southern California you have individual houses on 1/4 acre lots. We could easily afford buying 10 adjacent ticky tacky single story houses at over-market cost, tear them down, and put up a building that houses 1000 people. And that building would require much less heating and air conditioning than 250 individual houses.

We have done just that with public housing projects in the past. We can still do it, and supply modern security with video cameras and microphones in the halls and common areas. That stuff is dirt-cheap now, and you can hire some residents to monitor the cameras.

I'm not saying Tiny Houses aren't cool but they are very impractical unless you use them as a rural cabin. And then you might as well just build a cabin.

Well, first off, I WAS referring to a dozen here and a dozen there, forty eight IN TOTAL.
Putting up forty eight units together equals something called "low income housing".
In Los Angeles that equals, "da projects", and the projects are a very bad idea.
Now, put up a medium density building for twelve units here, and a medium density building for twelve there, and you have something.

But my original idea was to make use of temporarily empty land the kind which exists where I live, the former Caddy dealer, the teardown site for the greasy spoon, etc.
Read the ENTIRE post, I am talking about temp solutions for temp homeless. Long term homeless require a different solution but for working poor staying in homeless encampments, tiny houses set up on land which is going to lie fallow for three to five years is a great idea.
And when the land gets sold and the developers rush in, move the tiny houses somewhere else.

Hey, we're already doing this anyway, under a slightly different name...FEMA trailers.

deepfreezefilms.com
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Not that anybody would actually buy nothing but beans and rice, but the point is that you can live with roommates, buy cheap basic food items you cook yourself, not use air conditioning, use public transportation, etc.

I lived on nothing but red beans and rice, an occasional tomato, instant milk and frozen OJ, maybe a tin of canned fish once in a while and iced tea for almost two years.

I also looked FABULOUS. Karen said I looked "trim".
Now, I'm a beached whale but people say it's the sign of a happy marriage and a faithful husband.

Uhhh yeah, who would want to fool around with a water buffalo anyway?

deepfreezefilms.com
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Originally Posted by Jeffery J. Haas

Uhhh yeah, who would want to fool around with a water buffalo anyway?

Good question

"It's not a lie if you believe it." -- George Costanza
The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves. --Bertrand Russel
Page 6 of 23 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 22 23

Link Copied to Clipboard