WE NEED YOUR HELP! Please donate to keep ReaderRant online to serve political discussion and its members. (Blue Ridge Photography pays the bills for RR).
Current Topics
Biden to Cancel $10,000 in Student Loan Debt
by pdx rick - 05/19/24 10:52 PM
A question
by perotista - 05/19/24 08:06 PM
2024 Election Forum
by jgw - 05/17/24 07:45 PM
No rubbers for Trump
by Kaine - 05/16/24 02:21 PM
Marching in favor of Palestinians
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:38 PM
Yeah, Trump admits he is a pure racist
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:28 PM
Trump's base having second thoughts
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:25 PM
Watching the Supreme Court
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:07 PM
Trump: "Anti-American authoritarian wannabe
by Doug Thompson - 05/05/24 03:27 PM
Fixing/Engineer the Weather
by jgw - 05/03/24 10:52 PM
Earth Day tomorrow
by logtroll - 05/03/24 01:09 AM
Round Table for Spring 2024
by rporter314 - 04/22/24 03:13 AM
To hell with Trump and his cult
by pdx rick - 04/20/24 08:05 PM
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 8 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Agnostic Politico, Jems, robertjohn, BlackCat13th, ruggedman
6,305 Registered Users
Popular Topics(Views)
10,080,879 my own book page
5,017,073 We shall overcome
4,194,406 Campaign 2016
3,794,538 Trump's Trumpet
3,017,678 3 word story game
Top Posters
pdx rick 47,286
Scoutgal 27,583
Phil Hoskins 21,134
Greger 19,831
Towanda 19,391
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
jgw 6
Kaine 1
Forum Statistics
Forums59
Topics17,089
Posts313,787
Members6,305
Most Online294
Dec 6th, 2017
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Darbe Offline OP
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
Here's Why We Grieve Today
I don’t think you understand us right now.

I think you think this is about politics.

I think you believe this is all just sour grapes; the crocodile tears of the losing locker room with the scoreboard going against us at the buzzer.

I can only tell you that you’re wrong. This is not about losing an election. This isn’t about not winning a contest. This is about two very different ways of seeing the world.
I post this because many of my friends are willing just to move on with their lives. Just another shift in the fortunes of life. They put on their boxing shoes and hope to dance like a butterfly until fortunes change again.
I am not ready to do that.

"You can't demand freedom of speech and then say, but don't say bad things about me. You gotta be a grown-up and take your hits." George Clooney
It's the Despair Quotient!
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Still processing, yeah I totally get that.
There will be a LOT of post mortems, and the fact is, people need to be allowed to run the numbers and figure out what went wrong.
I say it's a healthy thing for the most part but face it, a lot of people are shell shocked.
Like you, I am one of them.

"The Best of the Leon Russell Festivals" DVD
deepfreezefilms.com
old hand
old hand
At times like these, it is important to read some very wise words by a very wise writer:

We sometimes forget that colonialism was and is war, a war to control and own another country’s resources—meaning money. We may also delude ourselves into thinking that our efforts to “civilize” or “pacify” other countries are not about money. Slavery was always about money: free labor producing money for owners and industries. The contemporary “working poor” and “jobless poor” are like the dormant riches of “darkest colonial Africa”—available for wage theft and property theft, and owned by metastasizing corporations stifling dissident voices.

None of this bodes well for the future. Still, I remember the shout of my friend that day after Christmas: No! This is precisely the time when artists go to work. There is no time for despair, no place for self-pity, no need for silence, no room for fear. We speak, we write, we do language. That is how civilizations heal.

I know the world is bruised and bleeding, and though it is important not to ignore its pain, it is also critical to refuse to succumb to its malevolence. Like failure, chaos contains information that can lead to knowledge—even wisdom. Like art.

Toni Morrison

Amen! Bow Bow

"The liberals can understand everything but people who don't understand them."
Lenny Bruce

"The cleverest of all, in my opinion, is the man who calls himself a fool at least once a month."
Dostoevsky

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Wow, go Toni Morrison.
No wonder she received so many honors.

deepfreezefilms.com
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Garrison Keillor speaks for me:

Trump voters will not like what happens next

Alas for the Trump voters, the disasters he will bring on this country will fall more heavily on them than anyone else. The uneducated white males who elected him are the vulnerable ones, and they will not like what happens next...

We liberal elitists are now completely in the clear. The government is in Republican hands. Let them deal with him. Democrats can spend four years raising heirloom tomatoes, meditating, reading Jane Austen, traveling around the country, tasting artisan beers, and let the Republicans build the wall and carry on the trade war with China and deport the undocumented and deal with opioids, and we Democrats can go for a long , brisk walk and smell the roses.

It's theirs to run now. They have the Presidency and both Houses, so they can do whatever they want. We'll just watch.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel

deepfreezefilms.com
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I received a call from my wife today (I'm on the road) that our younger son is despondent regarding the election and his/the future. Our youngest sister is in shambles, according to my twin. Our elder son has been retweeting posts from acquaintances (some quite famous) who are nearly inconsolable. I thought I was the one taking it badly...

A well reasoned argument is like a diamond: impervious to corruption and crystal clear - and infinitely rarer.

Here, as elsewhere, people are outraged at what feels like a rigged game -- an economy that won't respond, a democracy that won't listen, and a financial sector that holds all the cards. - Robert Reich
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
I think they all need to understand that sometimes things happen that are not in your control. In this case, they all need to disengage a bit. The Republicans are going to run the government for the next four years, and all they can do is watch (and maybe laugh?),

Sometimes you have to let other people have their turn, even if they are badly incompetent. They get to make their own mistakes, and all you can do is to feel sorry for them that their ideas are going to fail them so badly.

CHB-OG
CHB-OG
Originally Posted by Jeffery J. Haas
...people need to be allowed to run the numbers and figure out what went wrong.
Zeke and I told you from the very beginning: Hillary is extremely flawed. Yes she has an impressive resume of qualifications - but she is a very, VERY flawed individual.

Sometimes in life, character trumps everything else - and many denied this reality.. Hmm

Contrarian, extraordinaire

CHB-OG
CHB-OG

Contrarian, extraordinaire

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard