WE NEED YOUR HELP! Please donate to keep ReaderRant online to serve political discussion and its members. (Blue Ridge Photography pays the bills for RR).
Current Topics
Biden to Cancel $10,000 in Student Loan Debt
by pdx rick - 05/19/24 10:52 PM
A question
by perotista - 05/19/24 08:06 PM
2024 Election Forum
by jgw - 05/17/24 07:45 PM
No rubbers for Trump
by Kaine - 05/16/24 02:21 PM
Marching in favor of Palestinians
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:38 PM
Yeah, Trump admits he is a pure racist
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:28 PM
Trump's base having second thoughts
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:25 PM
Watching the Supreme Court
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:07 PM
Trump: "Anti-American authoritarian wannabe
by Doug Thompson - 05/05/24 03:27 PM
Fixing/Engineer the Weather
by jgw - 05/03/24 10:52 PM
Earth Day tomorrow
by logtroll - 05/03/24 01:09 AM
Round Table for Spring 2024
by rporter314 - 04/22/24 03:13 AM
To hell with Trump and his cult
by pdx rick - 04/20/24 08:05 PM
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 3 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Agnostic Politico, Jems, robertjohn, BlackCat13th, ruggedman
6,305 Registered Users
Popular Topics(Views)
10,078,574 my own book page
5,016,696 We shall overcome
4,192,797 Campaign 2016
3,792,248 Trump's Trumpet
3,015,949 3 word story game
Top Posters
pdx rick 47,286
Scoutgal 27,583
Phil Hoskins 21,134
Greger 19,831
Towanda 19,391
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
jgw 6
Kaine 1
Forum Statistics
Forums59
Topics17,089
Posts313,787
Members6,305
Most Online294
Dec 6th, 2017
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 19 of 41 1 2 17 18 19 20 21 40 41
old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by rporter314
The 3rd rail only applies to those who believe in it. Republicans/conservatives believe and for a long time all entitlements should be privatized. Republicans/conservatives have a long history of propaganda against all government programs. Their constituency does not see it as a problem.

Your assumption is that the "constituency" ACTUALLY understands what loss of so-called "entitlements" means. I doubt that. They will only truly understand if and when they lose them. Then, we will be able to verify what they REALLY support and what they don't.

"The liberals can understand everything but people who don't understand them."
Lenny Bruce

"The cleverest of all, in my opinion, is the man who calls himself a fool at least once a month."
Dostoevsky

old hand
old hand
To me, the most likely scenario leading to impeachment is that Trump will run up against the provisions of the Congressional Budget and Impoundment Control Act of 1974; he will, in the near future, absolutely refuse to spend money authorized and appropriated by the Congress and they will throw him out of office. He will discover, to his detriment, that the mandate he has is ethereal at best.

Take the nacilbupeR pledge: I solemnly swear that I will help back out all Republicans at the next election.
L
veteran
veteran
L
Originally Posted by Ezekiel
Your assumption is that the "constituency" ACTUALLY understands what loss of so-called "entitlements" means. I doubt that. They will only truly understand if and when they lose them. Then, we will be able to verify what they REALLY support and what they don't.
It will take a personal hit to shake them out of their stupor, but I don't have any faith that they will then actually UNDERSTAND anything.

I wonder if in the Harry Potter stories the word "muggle" is code for "muddle"?

You never change things by fighting the existing reality.
To change something, build a new model that makes the old model obsolete.
R. Buckminster Fuller
veteran
veteran
not actually an assumption ... just an observation of conservative rank and file. They have a hard time getting past the spelling.

I suspect you are thinking when they touch the 3rd rail there will be nothing to replace it. They intend on privatizing, which means there will be a replacement which their constituents will believe is better than any government program.

ignorance is the enemy
without equality there is no liberty
Save America - Lock Trump Up!!!!

Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Regardless of who is responsible, constituencies will credit/blame the party/person they have been conditioned to credit/blame. If the economy is good, it's Republican policies; if it tanks, it is Democrats (and vice versa). That is how Trump can claim to be affecting unemployment and the stock market even without any objective reality. Obama will get no credit for giving healthcare to millions and all the blame when it is lost. Democrats will get no credit for having created Social Security, but will be blamed when it is gutted.

It worked that way for Reagan and Bush - Remember how Clinton was blamed for the housing crisis and the recession? How Reagan's "tax cuts" saved the economy, not the tax increases? I'll bet Republicans would blame Democrats for Iran-Contra and Watergate. I've reconciled myself to understanding that logic and facts are irrelevant to political action. Now it is just who is in charge, by the numbers.

A well reasoned argument is like a diamond: impervious to corruption and crystal clear - and infinitely rarer.

Here, as elsewhere, people are outraged at what feels like a rigged game -- an economy that won't respond, a democracy that won't listen, and a financial sector that holds all the cards. - Robert Reich
L
veteran
veteran
L
A clear case of ConROT...

You never change things by fighting the existing reality.
To change something, build a new model that makes the old model obsolete.
R. Buckminster Fuller
It's the Despair Quotient!
Carpal Tunnel
It's the Despair Quotient!
Carpal Tunnel
I wonder if Duterte might make a better president.

"The Best of the Leon Russell Festivals" DVD
deepfreezefilms.com
old hand
old hand
I just want to see their reaction when the checks stop coming, when Mom is kicked out of the nursing home, when Jr. can't find a school that'll take is inbred IQ, when the stores can't offer credit, when their TVs don't work, etc. It won't matter WHO they blame, but rather WHAT.

"The liberals can understand everything but people who don't understand them."
Lenny Bruce

"The cleverest of all, in my opinion, is the man who calls himself a fool at least once a month."
Dostoevsky

veteran
veteran
I have already sent my resume for position of administrator of privatized SS. With a $4T bankroll to manage, I offered my services at a modest 1% of the action. And that is how privatization works. I get richer and really don't care that there is no safety net.

ignorance is the enemy
without equality there is no liberty
Save America - Lock Trump Up!!!!

Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
It's more than just ConRot, my friend (although it is that). ConRot is the symptom, tribalism is the cause (although there is a self-reinforcing aspect to it). More and more psychological research is demonstrating that humans have an almost unfathomable capacity for self-delusion, and confirmation bias is exploding the "information age." The only "information" that is relevant is that which conforms to my existing beliefs, whether it has any substantive basis or not. It will take a paradigm shift of extraordinary scope (a la, WWII, or the Great Depression) to create a "new reality".

Prior to the Great Depression, three successive failed GOP Presidents were elected Warren "Graft" Harding (Teapot Dome), "Silent Cal" Coolidge (anti-tax, tariffs and anti-immigration legislation) and Hoover (Smoot-Hawley, Great Depression). Remember that Harding appointed the richest cabinet in history (the equivalent of $300 Billion in current dollars), and their corruption was on a scale never before seen. They ran the economy into the ditch then refused to try to tow it out. Bush did the same (although he did bail out the banks). We know where this is going. The only question is how fast they can accomplish it.

A well reasoned argument is like a diamond: impervious to corruption and crystal clear - and infinitely rarer.

Here, as elsewhere, people are outraged at what feels like a rigged game -- an economy that won't respond, a democracy that won't listen, and a financial sector that holds all the cards. - Robert Reich
Page 19 of 41 1 2 17 18 19 20 21 40 41

Link Copied to Clipboard