WE NEED YOUR HELP! Please donate to keep ReaderRant online to serve political discussion and its members. (Blue Ridge Photography pays the bills for RR).
Current Topics
Biden to Cancel $10,000 in Student Loan Debt
by pdx rick - 05/19/24 10:52 PM
A question
by perotista - 05/19/24 08:06 PM
2024 Election Forum
by jgw - 05/17/24 07:45 PM
No rubbers for Trump
by Kaine - 05/16/24 02:21 PM
Marching in favor of Palestinians
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:38 PM
Yeah, Trump admits he is a pure racist
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:28 PM
Trump's base having second thoughts
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:25 PM
Watching the Supreme Court
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:07 PM
Trump: "Anti-American authoritarian wannabe
by Doug Thompson - 05/05/24 03:27 PM
Fixing/Engineer the Weather
by jgw - 05/03/24 10:52 PM
Earth Day tomorrow
by logtroll - 05/03/24 01:09 AM
Round Table for Spring 2024
by rporter314 - 04/22/24 03:13 AM
To hell with Trump and his cult
by pdx rick - 04/20/24 08:05 PM
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 3 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Agnostic Politico, Jems, robertjohn, BlackCat13th, ruggedman
6,305 Registered Users
Popular Topics(Views)
10,078,574 my own book page
5,016,696 We shall overcome
4,192,797 Campaign 2016
3,792,248 Trump's Trumpet
3,015,949 3 word story game
Top Posters
pdx rick 47,286
Scoutgal 27,583
Phil Hoskins 21,134
Greger 19,831
Towanda 19,391
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
jgw 6
Kaine 1
Forum Statistics
Forums59
Topics17,089
Posts313,787
Members6,305
Most Online294
Dec 6th, 2017
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 38 of 41 1 2 36 37 38 39 40 41
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Yeah, I know... I'm a cockeyed optimist...

A well reasoned argument is like a diamond: impervious to corruption and crystal clear - and infinitely rarer.

Here, as elsewhere, people are outraged at what feels like a rigged game -- an economy that won't respond, a democracy that won't listen, and a financial sector that holds all the cards. - Robert Reich
It's the Despair Quotient!
Carpal Tunnel
It's the Despair Quotient!
Carpal Tunnel
Originally Posted by pondering_it_all
Almost every Republican position is anti-Christian. You know, like screw the sick and poor. AHCA is the most anti-Christian thing ever.

Uhhh, check out Seven Mountain Dominionist ideology.
A more vindictive and mean spirited form of Christianity is hard to find, but's it is tailor made to run an authoritarian fascist theocracy.
Screwing the sick and poor, taking money from the wicked and giving it to the righteous (that's them) and subjugating women to chattel status while killing off unbelievers, it's all there my friend.

If you think Republicans believe in the nice kind and generous
"Baby Ja-heezus", I got a surprise for you, sir.

"The Best of the Leon Russell Festivals" DVD
deepfreezefilms.com
L
veteran
veteran
L
Originally Posted by NW Ponderer
Yeah, I know... I'm a cockeyed optimist...

Knucklehead Nellie....

You never change things by fighting the existing reality.
To change something, build a new model that makes the old model obsolete.
R. Buckminster Fuller
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
I SO disagree [that Republicans in Congress are not extremists]

Congress is more than the House and more than the Freedom Caucus. Let's see what the Senate comes up with re AHCA. Remember the House voted 50 times to repeal ACA, mostly because they knew the Senate would ignore their bills. It was all about appealing to their base, since House members all have to run every 2 years. They fear getting primaried by somebody claiming to be more conservative.

The Christian Right is just one part of the Republican coalition, and I bet very few Congressmen are that devout. They are much more supportive of the rich and big business. How does an Extreme Christian agenda benefit the rich? Ted Cruz is one, but Senator Frankin is very clear about that: Everybody in the Senate, Democrat or Republican, hates Ted.

Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
I promise to withhold judgment on how extreme the Senate is until health care is dealt with, but I am not encouraged. It is hard, however, to say they are "not extreme" when you consider how warped our sense of "extreme" has become over the last 40 years. Remember when Reagan and Sandra Day O'Connor were "right wing"? Now they couldn't even be Republican, the pinkos!

A well reasoned argument is like a diamond: impervious to corruption and crystal clear - and infinitely rarer.

Here, as elsewhere, people are outraged at what feels like a rigged game -- an economy that won't respond, a democracy that won't listen, and a financial sector that holds all the cards. - Robert Reich
veteran
veteran
first we have to define what the mainstream ideals are. I would suggest if a poll were taken, then the 1st SD would be mainstream, so basically about 60-70%.

Pick an issue and see how it measures. Many if not all of the social issues poll within those bounds, so I would say they are mainstream and people who oppose them would maintain extreme views (from moderate extreme to very extreme).

If 20% think the current rendition of HC from the House is good, I believe we should conclude that is an extremist view. etc

How do Republicans/conservatives stack up against that? I think I would separate conservatives from Republicans. When this is done it is easy to see conservatives hold extreme positions vis a vis voters beliefs.

The question regarding Christian politicians is not relevant to conservatives. For them it is purely idiotological. Government should not be involved in anything i.e. hiways, HC, SS, etc. They view the Constitution with paranoid jaded eyes which selectively only see the first words of the contract i.e. defend against all foreign enemies. May I suggest that their version of fundamentalist religion is only used as the fallback when government is removed, deconstructed, destroyed, etc. They are true believers and nothing anyone could possibly say would change their minds on anything, not even their own personal God.

ignorance is the enemy
without equality there is no liberty
Save America - Lock Trump Up!!!!

Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
There are probably very few True Believers in America. There are an awful lot of folks who claim to be Christian but live their lives as if nothing in the Bible or that Jesus said is true. They claim it because other religions and atheists are despised and they want to be accepted.

My own mother claims to be Christian but at the same time believes in reincarnation! What kind of Christian sect believes in reincarnation? (answer: none)

I really think most people claiming to be Christian Right are just Right and use religion to justify it. Want to see an actual Christian? Look at Jimmy Carter.

This why I think President Pence could do little harm. The supposed Christians in Congress wouldn't let him do much stuff that is valued by Christians because they do not share his fundamental beliefs.

For example, Christians would not care at all about inheritance tax because they are supposed to believe Jesus could come back at any time, and it is easier for a rich man to enter Heaven than for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle. Jesus told them to give all their money to the poor, get a robe and sandals, and follow him. I just don't see the hypocrites in Congress giving up their nice cars, homes, vacations, etc.

veteran
veteran
Don't confuse your interpretation of what a Christian is with the fanaticism of a true believer. There are probably very few people who follow the the path as outlined by Christ, but that does not mean there are few people who believe so fervently what they believe they have lost all sensibilities to think rationally.

Stephan Miller, Bannon, Bossie, Stone, names of people who probably qualify as true believers and they are all advisors to Mr Trump at some point in time.

The true believers in the Christian right I think are easy to see. If they support legalized discrimination they are probably true believers and yet at the same time one would be hard pressed to make the case these folks are really Christians of your interpretation.

I think if you view this from a political perspective instead of a religious one, you would see this making sense. First and foremost is to get government out of the way. Once it is, then Christ will guide people to the right path in life, free markets, individualism, etc, which I am not so sure have anything to do with religion.

There are about 40 in the House and about 15 on the Senate. What would you think when we get a full 40% willing to deconstruct government? (That number is close to the frequency of Constitutional representatives who voted against ratification).

ignorance is the enemy
without equality there is no liberty
Save America - Lock Trump Up!!!!

Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
if you view this from a political perspective instead of a religious one, you would see this making sense. First and foremost is to get government out of the way. Once it is, then Christ will guide people to the right path in life, free markets, individualism, etc, which I am not so sure have anything to do with religion.

Exactly my point: The "Christian" Republicans in Congress are not Christian so much as Republican. Doesn't matter how Christian the President is, they will persist with Republican goals. It's all about money and power, which to them is much more important than some fairy tale about a radical Jewish hippy wandering around telling everybody to share and be nice to each other.

A
veteran
veteran
A
I've always wondered (except for rickie Sanitorium) how many self-described GOP Christians actually believe (in those tiny lumps of coal in their chest cavity which they claim represent their heart and soul) what they profess.

We have a swearing, foul-mouthed, mysogenistic, self-absorbed, liar in thief, who would invite Three Corinthians to bar, then stiff them for the tab. He picks up the "Christian" label like a diarrhetic picks up toilet paper, and usually for the same purpose.

"There was never a good war or a bad peace."

Benjamin Franklin
Page 38 of 41 1 2 36 37 38 39 40 41

Link Copied to Clipboard