WE NEED YOUR HELP! Please donate to keep ReaderRant online to serve political discussion and its members. (Blue Ridge Photography pays the bills for RR).
Current Topics
Biden to Cancel $10,000 in Student Loan Debt
by pdx rick - 05/19/24 10:52 PM
A question
by perotista - 05/19/24 08:06 PM
2024 Election Forum
by jgw - 05/17/24 07:45 PM
No rubbers for Trump
by Kaine - 05/16/24 02:21 PM
Marching in favor of Palestinians
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:38 PM
Yeah, Trump admits he is a pure racist
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:28 PM
Trump's base having second thoughts
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:25 PM
Watching the Supreme Court
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:07 PM
Trump: "Anti-American authoritarian wannabe
by Doug Thompson - 05/05/24 03:27 PM
Fixing/Engineer the Weather
by jgw - 05/03/24 10:52 PM
Earth Day tomorrow
by logtroll - 05/03/24 01:09 AM
Round Table for Spring 2024
by rporter314 - 04/22/24 03:13 AM
To hell with Trump and his cult
by pdx rick - 04/20/24 08:05 PM
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 8 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Agnostic Politico, Jems, robertjohn, BlackCat13th, ruggedman
6,305 Registered Users
Popular Topics(Views)
10,080,879 my own book page
5,017,073 We shall overcome
4,194,406 Campaign 2016
3,794,538 Trump's Trumpet
3,017,678 3 word story game
Top Posters
pdx rick 47,286
Scoutgal 27,583
Phil Hoskins 21,134
Greger 19,831
Towanda 19,391
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
jgw 6
Kaine 1
Forum Statistics
Forums59
Topics17,089
Posts313,787
Members6,305
Most Online294
Dec 6th, 2017
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
CHB-OG
OP Offline
CHB-OG

CNN intelligence analyst Bob Baer appeared on air on Saturday to discuss a new Washington Post article that essentially claims the CIA believes Russia intervened in the 2016 election to help Donald Trump win. During this discussion, Baer made the rather surprising claim that in light of these reports, he believes the U.S. has to hold a new presidential election.

Here is the backstory that led up to Baer’s remarks:

On Friday night, the WaPo published an article citing anonymous CIA sources that reportedly said:

“[T]he CIA has concluded in a secret assessment that Russia intervened in the 2016 election to help Donald Trump win the presidency, rather than just to undermine confidence in the U.S. electoral system.”

The anonymous sourcing in the report led Glenn Greenwald to criticize the reporting as an example of “classic American journalism of the worst sort” because many of the “key claims are based exclusively on the unverified assertions of anonymous officials.” Greenwald continued, saying the anonymous sources “are disseminating their own claims about what the CIA purportedly believes, all based on evidence that remains completely secret.”

So, it was in that context that Baer appeared on CNN on Saturday where he made the shocking call for what is basically a do-over election.

“Having worked in the CIA, if we had been caught interfering in European elections, or Asian elections or anywhere in the world, those countries would call for new elections, and any democracy would,” Baer said. And I do not see it any other way, the Electoral College, before the 19th, has got to know whether the Russians had . . . affected American opinion.”

The host jumped back in and asked Baer to clarify if he was actually calling for new elections.

Baer’s response sounded unequivocal.

“When a foreign country interferes in your election and the outcome is in doubt, and the legitimacy of the government [is in doubt] . . . If the evidence is there, I don’t see any other way than to vote again as an American citizen,” Baer said.

Contrarian, extraordinaire

CHB-OG
OP Offline
CHB-OG

In a related topic, Wikileaks is very, very huffy that some cad in the Obama administration, quite possibly in the intelligence community itself, leaked a CIA report on Russian cyberattacks against U.S. institutions to NBC, and also leaked intercepts about Russian officials celebrating Donald Trump’s election to the Washington Post. Boy, oh, boy, was Wikileaks ever angry about those leaks!

[Linked Image from uploads.disquscdn.com]

CHB-OG
OP Offline
CHB-OG
[Linked Image from uploads.disquscdn.com]
You ain't sh!t until January 20th 2017 @ noon - so pipe-down until then, Mary.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I think the voters of America, like those of the U.K., would seriously like a do-over. But as John Oliver so pithily pointed out, "there are no f&%#n do-overs." There are to many complications with fixing our cock-up, and too many forces in play to allow that. It goes to show you need to pay attention the first time.

A well reasoned argument is like a diamond: impervious to corruption and crystal clear - and infinitely rarer.

Here, as elsewhere, people are outraged at what feels like a rigged game -- an economy that won't respond, a democracy that won't listen, and a financial sector that holds all the cards. - Robert Reich
CHB-OG
OP Offline
CHB-OG
Originally Posted by NW Ponderer
I...But as John Oliver so pithily pointed out, "there are no f&%#n do-overs."...
That quote was made famous by Steve Schmidt in an interview with Anderson Cooper on 60 Minutes.

Originally Posted by Steve Schmidt
You don`t get to go back in time, Anderson, and have do-overs in life.
- 60 Minutes

I have never forgotten that quote. It has stuck with me all of this time.

Originally Posted by NW Ponderer
It goes to show you need to pay attention the first time.
The voters were paying attention - it was the DNC who was not. Had the DNC paid attention, they would have internalized, instead of dismissing, that voters had a very negative perception of Hillary Clinton and didn't 't want her. THAT is where the true issue lies.

Clearly voters, particularly ones in WI, MI, and PN, don't care about 'job experience' as evidenced by them voting for, and thus, electing a community organizer law professor, followed by a narcissistic lying businessman that has filed bankruptcy over four-times stiffing his investors and blue-collar workers who preformed work for him.

The soul-searching that is being done as a result of our loss, and America's loss, needs to be honest about WHY we lost. Hmm

Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
WHY we lost

Simple. When you add up everything, we lost because Republicans cheat. They just did it better this time.

They have had 30 years to practice making crap up about Hillary. Then Comey came along. The fake news stories. All the Russian agents posting on American websites. And on and on and on...

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by pondering_it_all
WHY we lost

Simple. When you add up everything, we lost because Republicans cheat. They just did it better this time.

They have had 30 years to practice making crap up about Hillary. Then Comey came along. The fake news stories. All the Russian agents posting on American websites. And on and on and on...

ROTFMOL
Whatever helps you sleep.

"The liberals can understand everything but people who don't understand them."
Lenny Bruce

"The cleverest of all, in my opinion, is the man who calls himself a fool at least once a month."
Dostoevsky

Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Actually, I put a lot of blame on White women: I thought they had more self-respect than to vote for a serial molester but apparently I was wrong. A huge percentage of them prefer even the most despicable man over a woman. The numbers don't lie.

Still that could have been overcome if not for all the stuff I listed.

I still think the Democrats should run George Clooney next time. Everybody likes him, he's good looking, a celebrity, and a political neophyte. If people want to elect somebody for all the wrong reasons, at least let's give them a Democrat with all the qualities they are looking for.

veteran
veteran
Actually, I put a lot of blame on White women: I thought they had more self-respect than to vote for a serial molester but apparently I was wrong. A huge percentage of them prefer even the most despicable man over a woman. The numbers don't lie.
52%. A huge percentage? Dude. What part of sexism do you not understand (participate in).
You hold white women responsible over white men,...63% who voted for him less responsible?
Overall women did not vote for him

WHY we lost

"Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass...it's about learning how to dance in the rain."
Administrator
Bionic Scribe
Administrator
Bionic Scribe
Maybe it was because this was an epic your for not voting.

“Several million voters didn’t come out to vote,” Becker said. “Which is telling me that this idea of the Trump wave, a huge number of voters shifting over to Trump, is certainly not the story.”
Nationally, the number of people who voted for Trump were only slightly ahead of those who supported the last Republican presidential candidate, Mitt Romney, in 2012.
But Becker said that while turnout in purple states like Florida and Pennsylvania had a slight uptick this year, at least 19 other states saw lower turnout rates compared with 2012, a scenario that is antithetical to presidential-year voting that tends to increase each cycle when an incumbent is not a part of the race.
According to Becker, turnout rates dropped by 1.3 percent in Iowa, 3 percent in Wisconsin and nearly 4 percent in Ohio in 2016, a combination that became a death knell for Clinton’s presidential hopes in areas where Obama performed well during his two terms.
PBS

Life is a banquet -- and most poor suckers are starving to death -- Auntie Mame
You are born naked and everything else is drag - RuPaul
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard