WE NEED YOUR HELP! Please donate to keep ReaderRant online to serve political discussion and its members. (Blue Ridge Photography pays the bills for RR).
Current Topics
Biden to Cancel $10,000 in Student Loan Debt
by pdx rick - 05/19/24 10:52 PM
A question
by perotista - 05/19/24 08:06 PM
2024 Election Forum
by jgw - 05/17/24 07:45 PM
No rubbers for Trump
by Kaine - 05/16/24 02:21 PM
Marching in favor of Palestinians
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:38 PM
Yeah, Trump admits he is a pure racist
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:28 PM
Trump's base having second thoughts
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:25 PM
Watching the Supreme Court
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:07 PM
Trump: "Anti-American authoritarian wannabe
by Doug Thompson - 05/05/24 03:27 PM
Fixing/Engineer the Weather
by jgw - 05/03/24 10:52 PM
Earth Day tomorrow
by logtroll - 05/03/24 01:09 AM
Round Table for Spring 2024
by rporter314 - 04/22/24 03:13 AM
To hell with Trump and his cult
by pdx rick - 04/20/24 08:05 PM
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 3 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Agnostic Politico, Jems, robertjohn, BlackCat13th, ruggedman
6,305 Registered Users
Popular Topics(Views)
10,078,574 my own book page
5,016,696 We shall overcome
4,192,797 Campaign 2016
3,792,248 Trump's Trumpet
3,015,949 3 word story game
Top Posters
pdx rick 47,286
Scoutgal 27,583
Phil Hoskins 21,134
Greger 19,831
Towanda 19,391
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
jgw 6
Kaine 1
Forum Statistics
Forums59
Topics17,089
Posts313,787
Members6,305
Most Online294
Dec 6th, 2017
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
All this time it's been buried in the dirt.

Some decades ago in San Diego, a mobile crane operator drove into a mud pit in Mission Valley. Couldn't get out. By the time the giant tow truck arrived the ENTIRE crane had sunk into the mud. Not just the cab, the whole vertical mast and all. It was gone.

Several years later as they were digging the foundation for Qualcomm Stadium they found it. More then two miles west. There is still a massive underground river in Mission Valley. Back in the 40's it flooded wall-to-wall. Hardly any San Diego river visible now. But it's still there underground.

Administrator
Bionic Scribe
Administrator
Bionic Scribe
I have not been as pessimistic as I am now over my entire life. I think we are about to go downhill very fast on many fronts. I am thankful I do not have as many years to live as some of you younger people.

I, like many here, have done what I thought I could to give us a more positive direction, but I have failed. I am not looking forward to the next few months and years.

An evil idiot at the helm and selfish cretins running the economy.

Good luck world.

Life is a banquet -- and most poor suckers are starving to death -- Auntie Mame
You are born naked and everything else is drag - RuPaul
CHB-OG
CHB-OG
Originally Posted by Phil Hoskins
I have not been as pessimistic as I am now over my entire life. I think we are about to go downhill very fast on many fronts. I am thankful I do not have as many years to live as some of you younger people.

I, like many here, have done what I thought I could to give us a more positive direction, but I have failed. I am not looking forward to the next few months and years.

An evil idiot at the helm and selfish cretins running the economy.

Good luck world.
Actually you didn't fail. More Americans voted for HClinton and the continuation of Obama's policies than for Trump. With the signing of the recent Republican Internet Bill, whereby Internet providers can sell your browsing history, Trump just lost the millennial vote which helped him get into Office. The millennials think of the Internet as their domain and they're very protective of it.

I just hope that The Dems nominate a really good person in 2020, and we retake both the House and Senate in 2018 - I'm not familiar with all of the particulars at the moment, so I'm not sure there are enough terms that are up where that is even possible like it would be in 2020.

Contrarian, extraordinaire

Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Don't fret, Rick. If things really get that bad, there will be a lot more seats than people think up for grabs in Congress. Congressmen voted to make sure crazy people can buy guns, after all. Now all they need to do is get rid of that nasty Medicaid coverage that keeps on paying for the crazies drugs.

What could go wrong?

It's the Despair Quotient!
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
There is an UPSIDE to the Senate "going nuclear", you know...

The upside is that THIRD PARTIES will now have MUCH better chances of influencing ALL Senate decisions IF they can GET ASSES IN SEATS in 2018. If a third party gets ENOUGH asses in Senate SEATS, then BOTH parties will lack sufficient majority to control diddly squat and will be forced to negotiate and cooperate, not only WITH the third party but with each other.
It would only take maybe 15 wins to do the trick.

"The Best of the Leon Russell Festivals" DVD
deepfreezefilms.com
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
They haven't gone nuclear on legislation yet and that might even be a bridge too far for even McConnell.
If things do go downhill as rapidly as Phil suspects then 2018 will see the Senate flip, but I wouldn't count on seeing much in the way of third party victories then or...ever really.

Good coffee, good weed, and time on my hands...
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
We cannot have it be a LIBERAL third party OR a CONSERVATIVE third party. This third party must be guided by ONE principle only...the benefit of the MIDDLE CLASS, and the absolute and permanent DESTRUCTION of the TWO PARTY system, period.

deepfreezefilms.com
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Originally Posted by Greger
They haven't gone nuclear on legislation yet and that might even be a bridge too far for even McConnell.

Don't fool yourself.
Now that Mitch McConnell has tasted blood, nothing will stop him.

If things do go downhill as rapidly as Phil suspects then 2018 will see the Senate flip, but I wouldn't count on seeing much in the way of third party victories then or...ever really.

deepfreezefilms.com
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel

The only goal of the third party needs to be the permanent destruction of a majority in EITHER of the TWO major parties, thus forcing BOTH parties to actually LEAD and do things which benefit the Middle Class.

The sheer brilliance of such a tactic might get through to enough voters IF enough oomph is put behind it.

deepfreezefilms.com
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
The sheer brilliance of such a tactic might get through to enough voters IF enough oomph is put behind it.
Yes, but it won't be and you know it. Good candidates are hard to find and campaign funding even harder for third parties. The Green Party has run the same candidate(Jill Stein, in case you'd forgotten) for 24 consecutive presidential elections and has failed to exceed single digits. TEA Partiers only succeed by running as Republicans in primary elections. Our two party system, like it or not, is under no threat.
I'm going to operate under the assumption that Trump will continue to be unpopular and that Paul Ryan's draconian, granny starving policies will also further damage the Republican brand. Historically that means 2018 will be a good year for Democrats. It won't take much to flip the senate and, who knows, we may even see significant gains in the house.

Good coffee, good weed, and time on my hands...
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard